Console Update

Dammit, if thinks we're all suddenly going to buy it on PC, he's mistaken!

They should be at least releasing it on PS5 and Xbox X, not cancelling it! 😯😡 (the core game and Oddessey).

(While perhaps returning to the PS4/Xbox 1, after the "next gen" version is out 😐.)

That's not the whole story though, it it? It was planned to unite Odyssey and Horizon codebases once consoles could handle it. Now the codebases will stay separate indefinitely.
Exactly one of the questions I have right now, because I can't even recall when they last mentioned the planned merge. That must've been back in summer.

Greetings Commanders,

Elite Dangerous is a game close to my heart.

It’s no secret that Odyssey’s launch was less than ideal, including the need to split the PC/console player base to focus on a PC-only launch. Since Odyssey’s release in May 2021, we have worked tirelessly to improve the Odyssey experience on PC, and whilst we have made great progress there is still more to be done. We have been supporting the pre-Odyssey and post-Odyssey codebases since.

Over the last several months, we have been wrestling with the best way to move forward, and it is with a heavy heart we have decided to cancel all console development. We need to be able to move forward with the story of the game, and in order for us to do this we need to focus on a single codebase. Elite Dangerous will continue on console as it is now together with critical updates, but we will focus on new content updates on PC on the post-Odyssey codebase.

We appreciate this news is not what our console community were hoping for. This was not an easy decision to make, but it was made with the long-term future of Elite Dangerous in mind.
EXTREMELY disappointed that Frontier has abandoned ship on console players. I have only been playing the game recently in hopes of finally getting to land on the worlds I have discovered when Odyssey dropped. Now that will never happened because your crew doesn’t want to keep working on the technical challenges, so you’re cutting us adrift. Terrible decision. I’ve even purchased things a few times knowing I didn’t need them just to support your company in hopes of seeing Odyssey, and I feel cheated by your decision. Not many of us have an extra grand laying about to simply throw together a PC just to run Odyssey, so now Frontier has seen the last cent of money they will ever see from me, and that includes not purchasing content for any OTHER Frontier game or any game itself made by your studio.

You care so much about the long term success of your game, then you decide to abandon half of your player base because coding is hard. Quitter.

Yes, they said they would try to do something, but they didn't promise anything to anyone. now they will focus on making the PC updates even better.
That’s the second thing they did after announcing it for PC AND Consoles. Look you were wrong, it’s ok. I’m not shocked either. But peoples expectations lay squarely on Fdev here. Not false hype.

Your criticized someone saying they couldn’t trust Fdev after this complete lapse in communication. I’m not interested in arguing with this new tangent. Like why buy it in PC if they can’t trust the word of the developers that the game will continue. Anyways I think this discussion has run its course.
Its not a matter of 'trust'- you judge a game by what you have now and ignore what is /is not said by the company itself, because in the end what they say can change in a heartbeat.

At the risk of sounding "PC privileged", it's so odd to me how people don't own a PC that's even moderately capable of playing games. I read comments like "A free EDO license is not the point if I have to buy a gaming PC at first." and I'm gobsmacked that folks are gamers and don't have even an average gaming computer. Folks are really out here in the gaming world raw-d0gging it with no PC?

I'm not talking about a $3000 behemoth with a 55" OLED or something. You can build a 1080p gaming computer at a reasonable budget. Console gamers are already sitting on big TVs ($400-$1500) and $300-500 consoles with $60 controllers and $75 headsets and maybe even extra peripherals like a keyboard and mouse (+$$). So complaints about "oh a gaming PC is just too much" is a weak argument.

It's just... so odd to me. I refuse to believe that folks in 2022 don't have a PC of any sort. Is it just a Chromebook?

Re-reading this, yeah I guess I am "PC privileged" and this will be a wildly unpopular post. 🤷‍♂️ Anyway, o7 console gamers. Hope FDev can port your stuff over to PC.
There are reasons why numerous people buy and use a console for gaming. If you don't understand them now, it might be wasting my time to explain them.

Its not a matter of 'trust'- you judge a game by what you have now and ignore what is /is not said by the company itself, because in the end what they say can change in a heartbeat.
I got my moneys worth. My argument here is only that Fdev has a track record of terrible communication and failure to meet announced goals.

So we agree, judge a game by what’s there. Still, saying you “can’t trust” a dev is hardly dramatic. It’s a clear statement of fact. If anything is trite and redundant to say about Fdev at this point.

EXTREMELY disappointed that Frontier has abandoned ship on console players. I have only been playing the game recently in hopes of finally getting to land on the worlds I have discovered when Odyssey dropped. Now that will never happened because your crew doesn’t want to keep working on the technical challenges, so you’re cutting us adrift. Terrible decision. I’ve even purchased things a few times knowing I didn’t need them just to support your company in hopes of seeing Odyssey, and I feel cheated by your decision. Not many of us have an extra grand laying about to simply throw together a PC just to run Odyssey, so now Frontier has seen the last cent of money they will ever see from me, and that includes not purchasing content for any OTHER Frontier game or any game itself made by your studio.

You care so much about the long term success of your game, then you decide to abandon half of your player base because coding is hard. Quitter.
Calm down and buy a PC version of the game.
Don't take it out on the game and the developers for not living up to your own hype. :cool:

Im very sad to hear this. Im an avid xbox series x player and have been very patiently waiting for odyssey. I only bought the game a year and a half ago and am disappointed that its already the end of the road for my journey. o7 commanders been awesome flying with you.

Greetings Commanders,

Elite Dangerous is a game close to my heart.

It’s no secret that Odyssey’s launch was less than ideal, including the need to split the PC/console player base to focus on a PC-only launch. Since Odyssey’s release in May 2021, we have worked tirelessly to improve the Odyssey experience on PC, and whilst we have made great progress there is still more to be done. We have been supporting the pre-Odyssey and post-Odyssey codebases since.

Over the last several months, we have been wrestling with the best way to move forward, and it is with a heavy heart we have decided to cancel all console development. We need to be able to move forward with the story of the game, and in order for us to do this we need to focus on a single codebase. Elite Dangerous will continue on console as it is now together with critical updates, but we will focus on new content updates on PC on the post-Odyssey codebase.

We appreciate this news is not what our console community were hoping for. This was not an easy decision to make, but it was made with the long-term future of Elite Dangerous in mind.
My favourite part of this thread is how many people actually believe that this is a move to improve the Elite PC experience, rather than a move to free up resources for other more profitable projects.

Turns out the most valuable trade commodity in the galaxy is really Copium.

Last edited:
I think this removes me from the Elite player base; despite being a kickstarter backer, dev forum member and backing the game from day one, I’m not about to buy a gaming pc for this one game.

So, hundreds of pounds in arx to support the game on consoles was wasted. Such a great opportunity missed.

I will be very reluctant to buy FDev games in future.

Much as I hate showing my age here, Elite was never originally a PC game (see one of the previous comments which I should have quoted - my bad) - it originally came out on the BBC Micro (I had one), and that could never be classified as a PC.

Moving forward, has anyone heard about what will happen when Windows 11 is released for the PC players?

I hope you remember that point in time when Microsoft released Windows 7 and promptly announced there was no support for DirectX, which promptly threw hundreds of games into the Recycle Bin, despite Microsoft trumpeting that the new platform would fully support all existing software. I had loads of games that became unplayable overnight.

This rolled on into Windows 8, too

Microsoft promised an XP Emulator, but that turned out ot be a half-hearted effort and still is - most of the time you have to use a 3rd-party product to get old games to run instead.

The original specs for Win11 required TLS-1 - that's now been upgraded to requiring TLS-2. If your PC is currently only 32-bit, you are also going to have problems, as Win11 is a confirmed 64-bit environment. So if your motherboard doesn't support BOTH of these, it's tme for you to start looking at upgrading. That'll be costing you a few hundred (insert your currency here).

So, while there seems to be a fair amount of merriment from the PC brigade, I would suggest you watch this space, as I haven't seen anything from FDev about upgrading for Win11......

Back
Top Bottom