Consoles The next generation

The first season sucks though. ;)
I hear so many horror stories of launch consoles with many issues, plus they end up as the inferior version of that machine.
But I dunno, something about this gen makes me want to grab it on launch day/year. It will be the first playstation console I would buy so early since the PS2. PS3 was overpriced, and PS4 didn't really impress me at launch.

I am looking to see what the haptic feedback controllers are like as well, they made a free game to showcase what the controller is like, so it will be something I would try out once I get my hands on one.
I will say that their announcement about not supporting older controllers on PS5 because they insist on PS5 games making use of the haptic feedback features was a GIGANTIC middle finger to those of us with sensory processing issues which mean we have to turn off all vibration in order to game without discomfort and/or pain. Microsoft's guidelines to developers explicitly include having such features not be integral to a game's functioning, and for the games to function perfectly well with them disabled. If this were the case with the PS5 there'd be literally no excuse for not having PS4 controllers work in PS5 games when these features are turned off.

Last edited:

Deleted member 182079

D
Mega Drive was my first console, and PS3 my last, which still gets used extensively as a Netflix/YouTube and Blu-ray player.

Skipped everything after and stuck to PC all the way, since I'm not paying for MP online access and also because consoles have become gimped versions of PCs really. A console was good for several years, now there's potential for upgraded versions every couple of years while none of them have the potential to be truly leading edge like PC is.

PC games choices is unprecedented across genres and time (you can play all games that were released in the past on your current hardware, mostly at least) and the fact I don't have to repurchase my entire games library again when upgrading hardware.

Consoles are dead to me now, and I used to be quite a fan of them. And the few exclusives don't really lure me in as they used to either.

Had an Xbox 360 which my daughter now uses for Netflix and Minecraft.

Bought a PS4 Pro specifically for RDR2 and I quite like it. It has a 2TB SSD in it now.

Will probably get a PS5 sometime next year. Depends what games are out.

Will probably get a PS5 sometime next year. Depends what games are out.
I'm waiting for the PS5 Slim. I do hope both Sony and Microsoft shy away from this "normal" vs "pro" versions of consoles, as that just creates confusion and heartache for users and developers. These new consoles should be powerful enough that we won't need a "Pro" version. The Slim is different, because it's identical to the standard Playstation in terms of performance, it's just smaller and quieter (and often nice looking IMO).

Last edited:
I'm waiting for the PS5 Slim. I do hope both Sony and Microsoft shy away from this "normal" vs "pro" versions of consoles, as that just creates confusion and heartache for users and developers. These new consoles should be powerful enough that we won't need a "Pro" version. The Slim is different, because it's identical to the standard in terms of performance, it's just smaller and quieter (and often nice looking IMO).
I definitely understand that feeling. It was basically when I got the PS4, that the very next day the PS4 slim and pro were announced. I felt like I was missing the fullest potential of the PS4 when that happened, but in hindsight it was not that big of a deal. The games would usually be made with the base model in mind anyway.

I am not that sold on the concept of a mid generation console upgrade. It makes sense as those who wait would get a more optimised console with all the kinks sorted out, but soon after the next generation of consoles would be available.

I will say that their announcement about not supporting older controllers on PS5 because they insist on PS5 games making use of the haptic feedback features was a GIGANTIC middle finger to those of us with sensory processing issues which mean we have to turn off all vibration in order to game without discomfort and/or pain. Microsoft's guidelines to developers explicitly include having such features not be integral to a game's functioning, and for the games to function perfectly well with them disabled. If this were the case with the PS5 there'd be literally no excuse for not having PS4 controllers work in PS5 games when these features are turned off.
That is a good point, I do hope that the controllers haptic feedback are at least adjustable to be well suited for a wider audience. I do think the PS4 controllers work on the PS5, but only if you are to play the PS4 library of games on the PS5. I could see this being something that could be updated with a firmware update like nintendo with the gamecube controllers on the switch.

That is a good point, I do hope that the controllers haptic feedback are at least adjustable to be well suited for a wider audience. I do think the PS4 controllers work on the PS5, but only if you are to play the PS4 library of games on the PS5. I could see this being something that could be updated with a firmware update like nintendo with the gamecube controllers on the switch.
This is the thing, PS4 controllers work fine on the PS5 for PS4 games. So there's really no reason they shouldn't work on PS5 games but just lock you out of using the features exclusive to PS5 pads, automatically disabling them in the games' options. So if they can be turned off in the options menu of every game, then their excuse for requiring PS5 controllers doesn't stand up, and if they can't be - why not?.

This is the thing, PS4 controllers work fine on the PS5 for PS4 games. So there's really no reason they shouldn't work on PS5 games but just lock you out of using the features exclusive to PS5 pads, automatically disabling them in the games' options. So if they can be turned off in the options menu of every game, then their excuse for requiring PS5 controllers doesn't stand up, and if they can't be - why not?.
$ ;)

Presumably the PS5 controller also works on PS4 games, so the question really is - why wouldn't you want to use the new controllers?

Presumably the PS5 controller also works on PS4 games, so the question really is - why wouldn't you want to use the new controllers?

I'd say price for a start? The console will likely only come with a single controller, it would be handy to be able to use the old ones as extra (or replacement when it drifts/breaks). I have a set of 360 controllers that the family uses on the various home PCs, and that I plug on my rig for local multiplayer at times. If Microsoft decided that DX11 only supports XB1 controllers and DX12 will only support the new xbox controllers, I'd be a little bit annoyed. :D

I'd say price for a start? The console will likely only come with a single controller, it would be handy to be able to use the old ones as extra (or replacement when it drifts/breaks). I have a set of 360 controllers that the family uses on the various home PCs, and that I plug on my rig for local multiplayer at times. If Microsoft decided that DX11 only supports XB1 controllers and DX12 will only support the new xbox controllers, I'd be a little bit annoyed. :D
Yeah, I regularly (before the pandemic) had friends over for 4-player split-screen gaming (It's not bad on a 90" projector screen, it's like each of you is gaming on a 40" monitor), and so I'm pretty glad not to need to buy another three additional pads when I get a Series X. I'll also most likely be sticking with my custom design lab ones, because I have no desire for a dedicated button for doing something I don't use which I can accidentally hit when trying to use the actual functional ones.

PS5 prices have been leaked.

PS5 base model costs $499 with disc drive.
PS5 controllers costs $70.
Dual controller charging station costs $30.
And VR may come Fall 2021. Estimating at $399.

A lot of credit cards will die this winter. 🤣

PS5 prices have been leaked.

PS5 base model costs $499 with disc drive.
PS5 controllers costs $70.
Dual controller charging station costs $30.
And VR may come Fall 2021. Estimating at $399.

A lot of credit cards will die this winter. 🤣

Usually shops may discount after initial hype or they run out.
What killer game does the ps5 have that sets it apart. Will it be getting flight sim?

Usually shops may discount after initial hype or they run out.
What killer game does the ps5 have that sets it apart. Will it be getting flight sim?
Nah, Flight sim is a microsoft exclusive. So it is best to get the XSX for that game. I think it is a game you could sink hundreds of hours into and looks really impressive, not my cup of tea tho.

For PS5, there will be some games like Demon Souls, Destruction All stars, Gran Turismo 7, Horizon Forbidden West, Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart, Returnal, and Stray. I wouldn't say they are all killer titles (Horizon Forbidden West is probably the Top one in this list) but they at least seem to be a lot of fun to try out. I expect more impressive games down the line for both consoles.

Top Bottom