News Content Recap - Beyond Chapter One Livestream (16.01.2018) - Part 1 Recap

• Commander A is a junk alt account.
  • Commander A wings up with Commanders B, C and D, all flying stock Sidewinders.
  • Commander A sends Commanders B, C and D to the rebuy screen multiple times.
  • The notoriety rating is cumulative, so Commander A's is increasing with these crimes.
  • Commanders B, C and D are getting their rebuy cost fractions reduced by these multiple deaths by the notorious Commander A
  • Commanders B, C and D jump in their Corvettes and enjoy their 2% rebuy cost
What am I missing?

Pretty sure the rebuy cost only applies to the ship they're killed in......not *every* ship they ever fly. Also not sure if it applies to killing ships within your wing.

Oh, since the update clearly has a wing-content focus...this is for Will:

Q. Why is there an XP division system that reduces player's combat XP gain to a small fraction when playing in a wing/crew (including with NPC only)? Shouldn't this discouraging punishment be removed? And why has it not been communicated up-front to the players to begin with? (It's literally the reason I have not played Elite for months now.)

One thing I wish was being changed for crime and punishment is the scan mechanic.

Scanning should be for your benefit to collect a bounty. Not in any way a dependency on committing or not committing a crime.

IE. The crime isn't that i didn't scan the ship prior to shooting it. The crime is shooting the ship.
When it reports this activity to the system authority, they know who is wanted and who isn't by them and so if the ship reporting the crime is wanted, no bounty is levied against the shooter. If it isn't wanted, then a bounty is levied.

This is how it should work intuitively and how it makes the most sense to work in-game. Why it works via scans ....i only have infinite rage as an answer.

Pretty sure the rebuy cost only applies to the ship they're killed in......not *every* ship they ever fly. Also not sure if it applies to killing ships within your wing.

Well there wouldn't be any necessity to wing up, they could just hook up outside a station. If the altered rebuy is specific to the ship they died in that sorts it though, wasn't especially clear from the bullet points but I guess that makes sense within the overall context of how things are changing.

I have to admit I still find the whole concept of the crime (and if it's as you suggest, victimhood too) being tied to the ship rather than the player very jarring. Whether the whole thing works in terms of a ruleset for a game or not will be seen when it goes live. Whenever I try to think about it though, my mind just kind of 'nope's. :D

Overall I like the changes, as they all go. However I think Frontier needs to address the real Problem underlying what hurts the most about getting ganked. Aside from your pride and cargo lost rebuys on your favorite ships cam be ridiculously high, and mission payouts don't scale with the cost of your ship. Meaning what you're really losing when you lose your ship is hours and hours of gameplay to regain the 30 million credits from your ship rebuy when you got ganked. Just kills any sense of adventure and risk which in turn is hurting gameplay. Instead of a rebuy, how about a repair bill to repair your ship from zero to hundred percent. The cost could still be high without pulverizing your wallet.

One thing I wish was being changed for crime and punishment is the scan mechanic.

Scanning should be for your benefit to collect a bounty. Not in any way a dependency on committing or not committing a crime.

IE. The crime isn't that i didn't scan the ship prior to shooting it. The crime is shooting the ship.
When it reports this activity to the system authority, they know who is wanted and who isn't by them and so if the ship reporting the crime is wanted, no bounty is levied against the shooter. If it isn't wanted, then a bounty is levied.

This is how it should work intuitively and how it makes the most sense to work in-game. Why it works via scans ....i only have infinite rage as an answer.

It works via scans because then its proof you're firing for the purpose of collecting a bounty, not because you like watching ships go boom. Intent is a big part of law in most countries.

If I walk up and smack someone in the back of the head with a bat and tell my friends how funny it is, I've committed a crime. If instead I hit him because I've discovered he's a known serial killer and I'm stopping him from killing me or a third party, that's not a crime.

Of course, the big difference here is that in the modern day, I'd have to prove my intent wasn't for the giggles. In ED, the fact you scanned him and got a positive result on a criminal record is all the proof you need.

I think what makes it work is there aren't too many commanders with fleets of super ships. So if you're running around ganking people you'll be forced to pay the high bounties or lose the ability to effectively use your ship and risking being hunted down by commanders.

Overall I like the changes, as they all go. However I think Frontier needs to address the real Problem underlying what hurts the most about getting ganked. Aside from your pride and cargo lost rebuys on your favorite ships cam be ridiculously high, and mission payouts don't scale with the cost of your ship. Meaning what you're really losing when you lose your ship is hours and hours of gameplay to regain the 30 million credits from your ship rebuy when you got ganked. Just kills any sense of adventure and risk which in turn is hurting gameplay. Instead of a rebuy, how about a repair bill to repair your ship from zero to hundred percent. The cost could still be high without pulverizing your wallet.

The livestream talked about how being killed by another player will add a percentage of your rebuy to the killer's bounty, and your rebuy will be reduced by that same percentage. The more players the killer murders, the higher that percentage will go. So this is being addressed now.

Hello CMDRs,

What's unclear about the new Crime and Punishment is does it apply to CMDRs who kill another CMDR only or does it apply to honest mistakes killing an NPC?

I have read first and last page and couldn't find an answer to my question.

Last edited:
Witcher7 said:
Hello CMDRs,

What's unclear about the new Crime and Punishment is does it apply to CMDRs who kill another CMDR only or does it apply to honest mistakes killing an NPC?

I have read first and last page and couldn't find an answer to my question.

Sorry mate had to do this so ppl with a black background can read it. I'm not sure of the answer to your question.

I want another intersteller bounty for Colonia region.
If the Colonia Council issue interstellar bounties, it will work as well as 3 superpowers.
And it also give Colonia Council an appropriate role :)

Greetings, it would also like to change the amount of the reward that the "police" will shatter you to pieces. It is when you shoot someone in a shooting game by accident when shooting an illegal target and you are
immediately searched, and then when you land at the station they shoot you for pieces because of the 300cr it is not very pleasant or logical.

In such a case, the Commander should have a chance to land and then have to block the port functions etc ... up to about 2000cr? Just an idea.

• Commander A wings up with Commanders B, C and D, all flying stock Sidewinders.
  • The notoriety rating is cumulative, so Commander A's is increasing with these crimes.
  • Commanders B, C and D are getting their rebuy cost fractions reduced by these multiple deaths by the notorious Commander A
What am I missing?

The only way to reduce your notoriety would be to pay for your crimes. So if you did your crimes in that sidewinder (bounties are linked to the ship, no point in being wanted without a bounty), then yes, but it would be expensive for you to pay for your rebuy and bounty at each death.

You can't commit a crime in a FdL and then jump into a sidewinder to clear your bounty or notoriety as the bounty is on the ship you commitied the crime with.

The rebuy cost reduction would be on that specific rebuy on that ship when you get destroyed. It doesn't continue after paying for rebuy.

Last edited:
What am I missing?

Well, for starters, they were flying sidewinders then magically were flying corvettes.

The rebuy reduction is applied when they are killed. Therefore, being killed by someone with no notoriety or crashing into the station while trying to dock a corvette thinking it was a sidewinder won't yield any discount.

The only way to reduce your notoriety would be to pay for your crimes. So if you did your crimes in that sidewinder (bounties are linked to the ship, no point in being wanted without a bounty), then yes, but it would be expensive for you to pay for your rebuy and bounty at each death.

You can't commit a crime in a FdL and then jump into a sidewinder to clear your bounty or notoriety as the bounty is on the ship you commitied the crime with.

The rebuy cost reduction would be on that specific rebuy on that ship when you get destroyed. It doesn't continue after paying for rebuy.

Regarding the part in bold, the point was that Commander A is just a junk account. There would be no need for the player to ever do anything with it other than blow his mates up before logging out and back into his main account.

I assume the second line about switching from one ship to another to clear a bounty is related to your first line because I didn't suggest anybody would be doing that to begin with - I mean that's the entire point of the change.

Regarding the rebuy cost reduction for the victim someone has already explained that it only applies to the ship in which you die, which negates the whole issue anyway. I was posting based on the bullet points in the first post which didn't make that clear - the livestreams are always on when I'm travelling home from work and I just don't have the time to spend over an hour watching a vid of it on youtube.

Well, for starters, they were flying sidewinders then magically were flying corvettes.

The rebuy reduction is applied when they are killed. Therefore, being killed by someone with no notoriety or crashing into the station while trying to dock a corvette thinking it was a sidewinder won't yield any discount.

'Magically'. Seriously mate, don't be a . No need for it at all.

Last edited:
I'd like some more detail about how crimes against NPCs vs crimes against commanders are handled. May have to wait until the beta to find out.

Top Bottom