News Content Recap - Beyond Chapter One Livestream (16.01.2018) - Part 1 Recap

Because.
1. Notoriety is a pilot statistic, not a ship one. so it doesn't matter what ship you are in, it's still a factor
2. Notoriety is reset when you are blown up so because of 1. it doesn't matter what ship you are in when you are destroyed

The order the potential work around would be.
kill players until notoriety gets too high
Dock at station and pay off bounties/fine, that enables you to buy a sidewinder
buy sidewinder
Get a friend to scan you. blow you up.
Notoriety gets reset
Go back to killing

It'll need to be tested ofc, but from the stream this could be a potential loop-hole

Again, though, at no point did they say Notoriety would reset on death. There are plenty of other player stats that don't reset on death. You are just making assumptions.

Because.
1. Notoriety is a pilot statistic, not a ship one. so it doesn't matter what ship you are in, it's still a factor
2. Notoriety is reset when you are blown up so because of 1. it doesn't matter what ship you are in when you are destroyed

buy sidewinder
Notoriety gets reset
Go back to killing

It'll need to be tested ofc, but from the stream this could be a potential loop-hole

Also, even if Notoriety was reset, you are still left with the outstanding Bounty on your Hot Ship(s).

Again, though, at no point did they say Notoriety would reset on death. There are plenty of other player stats that don't reset on death. You are just making assumptions.

Obsidian Ant mentioned it would be reset at least by Securty Vessels destroying you in his latest video? I was confused why he specifically only stated them, and not if another CMDR destroyed you?

I wondered if this was to prevent groups of murder-hobos simply tactically destroying each other to resetnotoriety and farm each other bounties too?

Yes they did. 20:01 ish into the stream https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ocPr8DlBQs bounties will also be able to be paid off at the interstellar factions bit in low sec systems

Wrong again, Shanaeri. You're making a bad habit of it.

Here is the relevant info, quoted from Will's OP:

Commanders will have a 'Notoriety' level:

• It increases with each murder crime
  • It increases the rebuy cost fractions for both perp and victim
  • The victim’s rebuy cost is reduced by this amount
  • It decreases when a Commander is brought to justice.

Note, it decreases, not is removed......& when the Commander is brought to justice-not merely when killed.

Yes they did. 20:01 ish into the stream https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ocPr8DlBQs bounties will also be able to be paid off at the interstellar factions bit in low sec systems

Sandro specifically says it only goes down when you are "brought to book"/"brought to justice" in the video too.....so doubly wrong. As for paying off bounties at low sec systems. You know Interstellar Factors charges you a premium for Bounty & Fine payments? Not exactly a great "loop hole". It merely means you avoid incarceration, at an extra price. Doesn't remove Notoriety though.

Note, it decreases, not is removed......& when the Commander is brought to justice-not merely when killed.

Listen to the video, not paraphrased forum posts.. " When some..., bounty hunter or authority ship detects you AND they kill you.... They destroy your ship.. umm It doesn't go down any other way"..

As for how much it's reduced/reset then that's part of the testing and balancing that needs to be done.

Last edited:
Because.

buy sidewinder
Notoriety gets reset
Go back to killing

But your rebuy is not just the current ship but a percentage of every murdered ship and a percentage of the ship you used for each murder.

Isn't it?

Listen to the video, not paraphrased forum posts.. "Detects you AND they kill you.... They destroy your ship.. umm It doesn't go down any other way"..

As for how much it's reduced/reset then that's part of the testing and balancing that needs to be done.

Sandro specifically says "Notoriety comes down when you're 'Brought to Book'. When a Bounty Hunter or Police detects you AS THE CRIMINAL THAT YOU ARE and they kill you". That is word for word, not your selectively edited version of his quote.

So given that... I sort of like the idea of it reducing over time? Ie each month it drops by 1.

But your rebuy is not just the current ship but a percentage of every murdered ship and a percentage of the ship you used for each murder.

Isn't it?

Seems that way and that percentage increases with notoriety. So logic says there must be a notoriety point where that percentage gets too high and there potential work around becomes more cost effective

Listen to the video, not paraphrased forum posts.. " When some..., bounty hunter or authority ship detects you AND they kill you.... They destroy your ship.. umm It doesn't go down any other way"..

Also, do you seriously think that Will would post something like that without the express approval of Sandro? I mean, I know you're desperate to find faults in the system, but it's depressing that you will resort to blatant dishonesty to achieve that.

Sandro specifically says "Notoriety comes down when you're 'Brought to Book'. When a Bounty Hunter or Police detects you AS THE CRIMINAL THAT YOU ARE and they kill you". That is word for word, not your selectively edited version of his quote.

Not sure what you're getting at. Seems like you are agreeing with me and that death is a requirement for Notoriety reduction.

We'll know in 8 days though.

Seems that way and that percentage increases with notoriety. So logic says there must be a notoriety point where that percentage gets too high and there potential work around becomes more cost effective

Again, there is no work-around. Sandro specifically says that you need to be identified as a criminal, then killed, for notoriety to come down.

Yes. That's a worry.

If there's a sweat spot to be destroyed.

And if another player doing that resets your notoriety and gets a big bounty, do we groups just wiping each other out tactically?

Last edited:
Not sure what you're getting at. Seems like you are agreeing with me and that death is a requirement for Notoriety reduction.

We'll know in 8 days though.
Oh, you're IMPOSSIBLE. You've been claiming across the last dozen posts that dying in a clean sidewinder will get your Notoriety reduced (as a potential "work around" or "loophole"). I am pointing out to you-using Sandro's own words-that Notoriety only goes down if you've first been identified as a criminal *before* being killed. That means you cop the full cost of your crimes in order to escape the follow-up incarceration. If you're killed in your hypothetical clean sidewinder, then you'll re-spawn where you first boarded it, with your notoriety and outstanding fines & bounties intact.

My only issue with Notoriety is that it's galaxy-wide, not jurisdictional, & only covers murder. I'd love to see Super-Power Specific Notoriety and Notoriety based on all your criminal activities. I'd also like to see notoriety play a part in more than just re-buy costs.

Oh, you're IMPOSSIBLE. You've been claiming across the last dozen posts that dying in a clean sidewinder will get your Notoriety reduced (as a potential "work around" or "loophole"). I am pointing out to you-using Sandro's own words-that Notoriety only goes down if you've first been identified as a criminal *before* being killed. That means you cop the full cost of your crimes in order to escape the follow-up incarceration. If you're killed in your hypothetical clean sidewinder, then you'll re-spawn where you first boarded it, with your notoriety and outstanding fines & bounties intact.

My only issue with Notoriety is that it's galaxy-wide, not jurisdictional, & only covers murder. I'd love to see Super-Power Specific Notoriety and Notoriety based on all your criminal activities. I'd also like to see notoriety play a part in more than just re-buy costs.

As I and you agree It's a *POTENTIAL* work around. I'm not stating it as fact, merely something that should be tested and also testing how I (and others it seems) have interpreted the explanation. I.e it's only really an issue if it works how I assume it does.

E.g Hearing the "Some.. (pause) bountyhunter" seems to me as if Sandro is about to add the word "one" but then changes it. Now again, what would be the point in having notoriety only be able to be reduced by NPC ships getting you? Doesn't that somewhat negate the player vs player bounty hunter role?

Being identified as a criminal I interpreted as "Had a KWS used on you" and well being killed is obvious.

So in my mind, the balance of probability is that a player KWS'ing another player then killing them also reduces notoriety and if that's the case there is room for some creative thinking to reduce the effects.

It may seem counter intuitive but sometimes being proved wrong when something is tested is a good thing :)

For the record I hope they have it covered and my posts have just been speculation(same as everyone elses is until we can test).

As to your last point I agree, it does need to be expanded and I'm hoping they are using this as a test bed for some of the changes you propose

As I and you agree It's a *POTENTIAL* work around. I'm not stating it as fact, merely something that should be tested and also testing how I (and others it seems) have interpreted the explanation. I.e it's only really an issue if it works how I assume it does.

E.g Hearing the "Some.. (pause) bountyhunter" seems to me as if Sandro is about to add the word "one" but then changes it. Now again, what would be the point in having notoriety only be able to be reduced by NPC ships getting you? Doesn't that somewhat negate the player vs player bounty hunter role?

Being identified as a criminal I interpreted as "Had a KWS used on you" and well being killed is obvious.

So in my mind, the balance of probability is that a player KWS'ing another player then killing them also reduces notoriety and if that's the case there is room for some creative thinking to reduce the effects.

It may seem counter intuitive but sometimes being proved wrong when something is tested is a good thing :)

For the record I hope they have it covered and my posts have just been speculation(same as everyone elses is until we can test).

As to your last point I agree, it does need to be expanded and I'm hoping they are using this as a test bed for some of the changes you propose

I don't see it as a work around, even potentially. A KWS is not going to reveal a ship based bounty if you are in a clean ship (whether it will show up your notoriety is a different thing). So again the criminal player still cannot get around things by simply dying in a clean sidewinder. Sandro is very specific, you need to be identified AS A CRIMINAL in order for Nororiety to drop. That means incarceration & paying off rebuys+bounties. No more Suicidewinder exploit.

I don't see it as a work around, even potentially. A KWS is not going to reveal a ship based bounty if you are in a clean ship (whether it will show up your notoriety is a different thing). So again the criminal player still cannot get around things by simply dying in a clean sidewinder. Sandro is very specific, you need to be identified AS A CRIMINAL in order for Nororiety to drop. That means incarceration & paying off rebuys+bounties. No more Suicidewinder exploit.

Possibly. It does seem reasonable a fully cleared ship with a high notoriety value wont be eligible. I guess I was working on the assumption that before all these shenanigans the ship would still have an actionable bounty on it, rather than be squeaky clean to the game

Perhaps then, notoriety could be reduced by shooting at your accomplice to make you a criminal again(in a sidewinder this time) and then able to get your notoriety reduced. e.g Currently you need to reactivate a dormant bounty by shooting at the player who you want to clear it for you, so in this case it's the same method as now on a different mechanic.

You're not after increasing your notoriety, just activating the criminality switch such that it can then be reduced.

Now it does sound like a real faff, but the reality is it probably wont take much longer than suicide winding does now.

Something else to test I guess

Commanders will have a 'Notoriety' level:
  • It increases with each murder crime
    [*]It increases the rebuy cost fractions for both perp and victim
    [*]The victim’s rebuy cost is reduced by this amount
  • It decreases when a Commander is brought to justice.

• Commander A is a junk alt account.
  • Commander A wings up with Commanders B, C and D, all flying stock Sidewinders.
  • Commander A sends Commanders B, C and D to the rebuy screen multiple times.
  • The notoriety rating is cumulative, so Commander A's is increasing with these crimes.
  • Commanders B, C and D are getting their rebuy cost fractions reduced by these multiple deaths by the notorious Commander A
  • Commanders B, C and D jump in their Corvettes and enjoy their 2% rebuy cost
What am I missing?

Top Bottom