Corvette vs FDL

Here's a duel with a FDL I experienced last night:

This is the first time I've seen a FDL avoid any damage from huge MC, frags and Pacifiers. This pilot is obviously of exceptional caliber, props to him. Was he silent running? I was confused about his heat management tactics, but that too was well done and was a factor that caused me to flee the engagement.

note: ignore my comments at the end, I was just frustrated.

He is an alright pilot by the way he moves. Maybe some severe de-sync between you two?

By the number of cameras pointed at you, showcasing cheats in Eravate would be the equivalent of selling AK-47’s to the general public near the entrance to the United Nations..

Does look fishy though.

Its rather sad: The fact that the cheat is in the air and you´ll never know if your opponent is a great pilot or just a cheatskate.

Edit: I understand now why Ryan & Co waited 6 months before going public and what a difficult decision it must have been. It drew soo much attention. And its so easy so obtain. Its mindboggling :oops:

Last edited:
I watched that twice and I think if you focus on the hud target display you can see that there were very few direct hits. I think it was mostly your small turret that hit him. There are very few times you actually hit him with more than one hardpoint. I don't think there are cheats, given that he might have had 3k shields with 50%+ res against kinetic damage. I can understand the frustration, there is one damn good FDL pilot I've met several times, whom I can hardly get in my sights and your fight looks comparable.
I've changed to two huge overcharged fixed beams because of those encounters, as those require very little time on target to do good damage (although I haven't rematched with the guy yet).

I watched that twice and I think if you focus on the hud target display you can see that there were very few direct hits. I think it was mostly your small turret that hit him. There are very few times you actually hit him with more than one hardpoint. I don't think there are cheats, given that he might have had 3k shields with 50%+ res against kinetic damage. I can understand the frustration, there is one damn good FDL pilot I've met several times, whom I can hardly get in my sights and your fight looks comparable.
I've changed to two huge overcharged fixed beams because of those encounters, as those require very little time on target to do good damage (although I haven't rematched with the guy yet).
Did you notice the constant heatsink effect? What is that?

Did you notice the constant heatsink effect? What is that?

The constant heatsink effect is an option in the trainer. Granted, he was probably running a huge thermal vent beam, but he should not have been able to spam 4x rails and a huge beam constantly while staying under 20% heat, let alone having the distributor power for it. And even then, if he'd had 4 pips to weapons at all times, it makes you wonder how he has the pips to permaboost and also keep 100% shields the entire time.

Also, your vette build is beyond horrible. One could be forgiven for thinking he didn't have infinite shields due to the lack of damage output on your part.

Last edited:
The constant heatsink effect is an option in the trainer. Granted, he was probably running a huge thermal vent beam, but he should not have been able to spam 4x rails and a huge beam constantly while staying under 20% heat, let alone having the distributor power for it. And even then, if he'd had 4 pips to weapons at all times, it makes you wonder how he has the pips to permaboost and also keep 100% shields the entire time.

Also, your vette build is beyond horrible. One would almost be forgiven for thinking he didn't have infinite shields due to the lack of damage output on your part.

Maybe you can tell me why my MC reticle disappeared? I've been in many duels and this is the first time I lost it.

I believe your reticles were moving faster than your turns as FDL was faster than you. I can see you hit him more than a few times except he may have kinetic resistance shields as said by @Melanthes.

Tis strange his shield's outer ring didn't degrade and authority ships took their time to show up in a High security system. They normally show up within 30 secs after you are first hit but I think they showed up maybe after a minute or so. Also, can't see if authority ships managed to hit FDL with beams - don't think so.

The weapon distributor could also be explained by lightweight railguns with heat reduction experimentals in addition to an efficient beam with thermal vent. That won't generate too much heat and you can actually see him using only the beam to cool down.
I'm not even slightly convinced that this can only be explained by cheats, he's flying evasive, while still maintaining very good time on target. All fights which I had, that looked fishy, were against somewhat bad pilots. This one looks like a good pilot, who wouldn't need four pips in system constantly, simply because the corvette, especially with slow weapons(multicannons are at 1600, I think), can be read quite easily.
The disappearance of the target reticule is because of the speed of his ship. As frustrating as it is, I think he simply countered your build extremely well. I would look into hitscan weapons to counter pilots like this one.

The weapon distributor could also be explained by lightweight railguns with heat reduction experimentals in addition to an efficient beam with thermal vent. That won't generate too much heat and you can actually see him using only the beam to cool down.
I'm not even slightly convinced that this can only be explained by cheats, he's flying evasive, while still maintaining very good time on target. All fights which I had, that looked fishy, were against somewhat bad pilots. This one looks like a good pilot, who wouldn't need four pips in system constantly, simply because the corvette, especially with slow weapons(multicannons are at 1600, I think), can be read quite easily.
The disappearance of the target reticule is because of the speed of his ship. As frustrating as it is, I think he simply countered your build extremely well. I would look into hitscan weapons to counter pilots like this one.

Heat isn't purely a weapon stats problem. Once a weapon distributor starts dropping below 100%, weapons start producing significantly more heat than their stats display. If you can fire a huge beam and 4x medium rails constantly on a 6A distributor without dropping below 20% heat at any point, then it's kind of fishy (shields and eng distributor aside).

Last edited:
Maybe you can tell me why my MC reticle disappeared? I've been in many duels and this is the first time I lost it.

You have too many reticules. As can be seen in your fight, you only barely manage to get a couple of seconds of time on target with only one reticule, and completely ignore the rest of them (which never end up dealing any damage at any point during the fight). And because you have them all bound to one trigger, the majority of your weapons just end up firing into empty space, wasting ammo and potential damage.

As for the reticule disappearing, they do that when two reticules become close enough to merge into one. Back in the pre-engineers 4x mc 1x PA meta, good pilots knew to fire their PA just beyond the one generated reticule, and their mc's just short of it.

Heat isn't purely a weapon stats problem.
Certainly, and don't get me wrong, I'm absolutely on your side regarding cheats as a problem, but the distributor draw of lightweight rails isn't that huge (3.32 with g5, according to coriolis) and he isn't spamming them. There are times when he's just using the beam, which coincides with the cooling effect. If that's an example of cheating he actively tries to hide it.

I'm just preferring Occam's razor here, using the simplest explanation, if possible without the addition of external premises.

Purely speculative though, those railguns could also be small and lightweight. They would still have good DPS when spammed (with a draw of 1.75 per gun and DPS of ~36).

Certainly, and don't get me wrong, I'm absolutely on your side regarding cheats as a problem, but the distributor draw of lightweight rails isn't that huge (3.32 with g5, according to coriolis) and he isn't spamming them. There are times when he's just using the beam, which coincides with the cooling effect. If that's an example of cheating he actively tries to hide it.

I'm just preferring Occam's razor here, using the simplest explanation, if possible without the addition of external premises.

Purely speculative though, those railguns could also be small and lightweight. They would still have good DPS when spammed (with a draw of 1.75 per gun and DPS of ~36).
Yeah I was running small lightweight rails and a thermal vent beam. Not sure about effectiveness yet but it sure is fun.

Very true. It's entirely possible that it's a legit build with good distro draw management and that OP just isn't applying enough damage to make SYS pips a necessity for his opponent.

Here's a duel with a FDL I experienced last night:

This is the first time I've seen a FDL avoid any damage from huge MC, frags and Pacifiers. This pilot is obviously of exceptional caliber, props to him. Was he silent running? I was confused about his heat management tactics, but that too was well done and was a factor that caused me to flee the engagement.

note: ignore my comments at the end, I was just frustrated.

Krash, I just fought this guy and immediately suspected shenanigans. FDL running a biweave that tanked like a prismatic but regenerated much too quickly. Was also jumping around a lot at weird times like you see sometimes with fighters out.

Edit for more context: I hadn't seen your video or this thread before I encountered them. It was just the weirdest FDL I've ever seen (and I've fought hundreds) and the first time I thought to check online if anyone else had noticed anything fishy. Checked out the loadout before interdicting; biweave, one bank, three multis, two rails, and a docking computer. The multis behaved like there was no damage falloff, the ship's speed & agility felt noticeably out of the normal engineered envelope, high speed plasma rams did surprisingly little damage for a biweave, and then even when they did lose 1/3, they healed much too quickly for a single C4 bank (didn't see charging though) but also too quickly for a C5 biweave (more like a C8). Plus the weird lag. Like...spooky weird.

Last edited:
Krash, I just fought this guy and immediately suspected shenanigans. FDL running a biweave that tanked like a prismatic but regenerated much too quickly. Was also jumping around a lot at weird times like you see sometimes with fighters out.

Edit for more context: I hadn't seen your video or this thread before I encountered them. It was just the weirdest FDL I've ever seen (and I've fought hundreds) and the first time I thought to check online if anyone else had noticed anything fishy. Checked out the loadout before interdicting; biweave, one bank, three multis, two rails, and a docking computer. The multis behaved like there was no damage falloff, the ship's speed & agility felt noticeably out of the normal engineered envelope, high speed plasma rams did surprisingly little damage for a biweave, and then even when they did lose 1/3, they healed much too quickly for a single C4 bank (didn't see charging though) but also too quickly for a C5 biweave (more like a C8). Plus the weird lag. Like...spooky weird.
how would you possibly know if the multis behaved like there was no damage falloff lol?

I don’t know what you’re talking about when you say i was tanking shots like a prismatic, as the 3 times you successfully hit me with a full plasma volley you halved my shields. You were lagging on my screen aswell.

Aw man, this is beyond horrible. The trust will never be gained back unless Frontier find a way to plug that hole.
I always wished I was on PC but right now I´m really glad I´m on Xbox...

Are there actually online games that are guaranteed sober? I know GTA and BF have huge problems too, despite their "one offence --> ban hammer" policy. Spoke to a friend recently who´s in a Battlefield clan with ESL cracks. These guys are being body scanned in big tournaments and still find ways to do shady .

how would you possibly know if the multis behaved like there was no damage falloff lol?

I don’t know what you’re talking about when you say i was tanking shots like a prismatic, as the 3 times you successfully hit me with a full plasma volley you halved my shields. You were lagging on my screen aswell.

So, in that corvette fight, you reckon ‘twas a graphical glitch showing you having a full shield, while it was in fact not? Treat us with a recording of one of your fights, pretty please!

You dont happen to have videos, do you?

Top Bottom