Corvette vs FDL

So, in that corvette fight, you reckon ‘twas a graphical glitch showing you having a full shield, while it was in fact not? Treat us with a recording of one of your fights, pretty please!
no.. my excuse is that he didn’t hit me with any kind of actual damage. watch the video. it’s probably a good idea to start recording my fights though!

In my opinion it doesn't matter any more if some
no.. my excuse is that he didn’t hit me with any kind of actual damage. watch the video. it’s probably a good idea to start recording my fights though!
Yep it is. Since this hack exploit shenanigans I record any fight I get into.

Aw man, this is beyond horrible. The trust will never be gained back unless Frontier find a way to plug that hole.
I always wished I was on PC but right now I´m really glad I´m on Xbox...

Are there actually online games that are guaranteed sober? I know GTA and BF have huge problems too, despite their "one offence --> ban hammer" policy. Spoke to a friend recently who´s in a Battlefield clan with ESL cracks. These guys are being body scanned in big tournaments and still find ways to do shady .
honestly only one i can think of is CSGO’s ESEA lol

Indeed, he didn’t hit you much. And why would he, driving his truck in fa/on? Still, he hit you with some “actual damage”, and hit you plenty with that turreted burst. Your shield stood rock solid. Feel like sharing details of your build at least?

EDIT: Pass the recording and go straight to streaming if you’re that good :)

Indeed, he didn’t hit you much. And why would he, driving his truck in fa/on? Still, he hit you with some “actual damage”, and hit you plenty with that turreted burst. Your shield stood rock solid. Feel like sharing details of your build at least?
sure, i was running a prismatic build with high kinetic resistance and lightweight rails and a efficient thermal vent beam. also near the end of the video you can see that my shields have actually taken some damage, albeit not much. i can understand why this might be fishy but i’ll definitely be recording all my fights from now on.

Krash, i cannot stop noticing that the only weapon that reliably hit the FDL was your 3 dps burst turret.
You fire the frags mostly at 1.2-1.3km versus a FDL showing only its slim profile.

And seriously, you should do something about the weapon loadout - you have weapons with 3 different shot speeds and waaaay too many reticles
TBH you should drop the pacs and use only gimbaled frags or only fixed standard frags

Also, if you are going to run predominantly gimbals, you want an emissive weapon.

Gimbal tracking arc is heavily dependent on enemy thermal signature. If they can keep their signature low enough, either with sinks, silent running, or a thermal vent beam, you'll lose a lot of effective firing arc.

FDL running a biweave that tanked like a prismatic

Since my relatively recent experiences with more traditional collapsed-regen focused bi-weave setups against loadouts like your "melee FDL", I've pretty much tripled the raw MJ on all of my bi-weave equipped medium ships.

I used to run about 600-800MJ on a bi-weave FDL. I now run 1800-2000, still bi-weave.

And why would he, driving his truck in fa/on?

Issue isn't FA On, or even the truck, it's the loadout which is almost entirely useless against targets that can keep their distance and the differential in piloting.

Last edited:
The trust will never be gained back unless Frontier find a way to plug that hole.
The problem here is not trust, but the clamouring with pitchforks before actually taking a close look at things. The meta expectations don't really help, since every non-standard load-out might look fishy, if one looses the fight. As @Rinzler o7o7o7 and @Northpin also noted, the DPS of Krashs corvette looks pretty low against an evasive foe. The build looks to be oriented on big ship combat, am I right @Krash?
This is, at least in my small amount of experience, one of the weak points of the corvette in duels, and can be partially countered by hitscan weapons. Even focused PAs (1750 projectile speed) can be too slow to realiably damage an evasive FDL, if flying the less manoeuvrable corvette.
hit you plenty with that turreted burst.
A small burst turret does 2.1 damage per hit and doesn't always hit. I assume that the shields were around 3k, even the pitiful shield regeneration of a prismatic would negate most of that damage. Its use is simply to stop regeneration and apply an effect.

Issue isn't FA On, or even the truck, it's the loadout which is almost entirely useless against targets that can keep their distance and the differential in piloting.

The issue is abysmal ToT. The loadout, distance and differential are deeply secondary. F/off vette can pretty much hold fdl in his sights for at least half of the fight. Surely, there are weapons that can exploit this?

The issue is abysmal ToT. F/off vette can pretty much hold fdl in his sights for at least half of the fight.

FA mode itself wasn't the main issue with ToT.

Edit: looking at the video again, Krash was facing Alrai plenty often, probably around half of the total engagement time...he just didn't have any weapons that could take advantage of it. More consistent FA off might have enabled a bit more ToT, but it would not have been helpful for staying inside effective frag range.

The loadout, distance and differential are deeply secondary.

Anyone in a vette, or almost anything for that matter, will have trouble fighting competently flown FDLs with what amounts to a single huge gimbaled MC. If you cannot control engagement distance you cannot reliably leverage frags, and that turret is largely meaningless against setups that aren't relying on increased regeneration rates.

Surely, there are weapons that can exploit this?

I'm still using fixed hitscan weapons as the primary damage dealers on my vette...which I built expressly to simultaneously engage (and occasionally even defeat) two good FDLs, three mediocre ones, or as many of the really dumb ones you can reliably fit into an instance. I also fly FA On ~95% of the time in combat.

Last edited:
I also fly FA On ~95% of the time in combat.

I also flew ships in fa/on, but then I took an arrow to the knee. It increasingly sounds like you can’t be bothered to use fa/off. Too difficult for hitscan? I can’t think of a reason Not to use fa/off, except for when I need to lose speed quickly, so I use fa/on as handbrake. Other than that, why fly with assistance, when pitching rate and some other maneuvers are so drastically faster without it?

I also flew ships in fa/on, but then I took an arrow to the knee. It increasingly sounds like you can’t be bothered to use fa/off. Too difficult for hitscan?

Hitscan aim is certainly part of it, but by and large the advantages to negative acceleration is the major factor behind my preference for FA On.

If anything I find myself using FA Off less as time goes on.

I can’t think of a reason Not to use fa/off, except for when I need to lose speed quickly, so I use fa/on as handbrake.

A significant part of maneuvering is changing movement vector and losing speed quickly, faster than is mechanically possible with FA Off, is a huge boon to this.

Certainly there are disadvantages as well, but my control setup and piloting style make it easier to leverage the FA advantages and comparatively more work to aim fixed hitscan weapons without it.

Other than that, why fly with assistance, when pitching rate and some other maneuvers are so drastically faster without it?

About the only thing that is intrinsically faster FA off is positive acceleration (primarily forward and reverse) and that is far more subtle than the typical negative acceleration advantage of FA On (especially vertical and lateral).

The main benefit of FA off is how it decouples various limiters from movement vector and the movement vector itself from facing...all of which can increase ToT and can even improve aim with projectiles, but it does so by making one's vessel more drifty, which is almost never what I want (and when I do, I turn FA Off).

...The loadout, distance and differential are deeply secondary.

I dont think so.

Firing a frag at a distance of 1.2km means it will spray the pellets over an area about 105m diameter.
A FDL looking at you is something like 15x50m.
Which means that frag will do between 0 and 3% of its potential damage.
Most likely 0.

I dont think so.

Firing a frag at a distance of 1.2km means it will spray the pellets over an area about 105m diameter.
A FDL looking at you is something like 15x50m.
Which means that frag will do between 0 and 3% of its potential damage.
Most likely 0.

I mean, there are serious things to solve there before even beginning to think about loadouts :)

Might as well fit all packhounds and as such Max his ‘theoretical’ dps..

The main benefit of FA off is how it decouples various limiters from movement vector and the movement vector itself from facing...all of which can increase ToT and can even improve aim with projectiles, but it does so by making one's vessel more drifty, which is almost never what I want (and when I do, I turn FA Off).

I was wondering for quite a while why you prefer it this way. Now it makes complete sense, thanks for extensive explanation

Just curious.... why personally do you prefer less drifty ships?

Addendum: also wondering whether your increased preference for FA on has anything to do with ship driftiness.

Last edited:
Krash, i cannot stop noticing that the only weapon that reliably hit the FDL was your 3 dps burst turret.
You fire the frags mostly at 1.2-1.3km versus a FDL showing only its slim profile.

And seriously, you should do something about the weapon loadout - you have weapons with 3 different shot speeds and waaaay too many reticles
TBH you should drop the pacs and use only gimbaled frags or only fixed standard frags
I count 3 times I hit him with all frags at less than 500m.
2:07
3:15
5:03

Overcharged/Incendiary + drag munitions. 1400 dps according to coriolis. I was trying to give this pilot props in my OP since I've dueled plenty of FDL pilots and this was the most frustrating by far. I've never failed to deal some damage to shields, despite my obvious shortcomings.

@Krash Strange things can happen even without cheating in this game.
The video shows a fight I lost back in the stone ages. To my opponent (CMDR Tolbert) it looks like my shields are taking no damage at all. Towards the end of the fight you see my hull going down while shields are still fully charged. (Phasing was not a thing in the stone ages). On my side the shields never started recharging after they dropped, despite having sys power available.

This game has some cheaters and many bugs.

CMDR Tolbert explodes CMDR steenpass

Last edited:
1400 dps according to coriolis.

1400dps if all pelets hit. Which is not happening, not even at 500m (at 2:07 you start firing at 1.1km and finish at 800m)
Anyway, if you have doubts fill a report and let FDev analyze it

And i do hope that you take as constructive whatever criticism floats in this thread

Top Bottom