Could Frontier please demonstrate how to use the FSS enjoyably?

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
My experience with powerplay is. I've read everything in game about it and all the factions and I still don't really get where I'm supposed to take what.

I feel it's instructions ( if you can call them that) are vague and confusing.

I have not seen Frontier here, demonstrating to us how to use the FSS enjoyably yet....

Guess they have no idea either.

o7...
The two Adams did a live stream of it for the Beta and to be honest I've never seen such a bored to death face and anyone as bored as Adam Woods (the fella being guided by the Adam that made it)

At first I raved about the 'new' exploration tools here on these forums (a search of my posts should back that up) I felt they were good and enjoyable and I remember the feeling they gave me that 'something wonderful was going to happen' I was supportive, and believed Santa would come and bring Rouge planets, comets and Christmas cookies.
It didn't,
It began to dawn on me that things could go very wrong if I were to be spotted by a 'antagonist' while I had my nose stuck in the blueuniverse, different from my looking at the galactic map because I never spent more than a few seconds there, the FSS blueuniverse however was taking much longer periods, that meant on larger systems frequent visits to the surface were wise returning to starting again albeit with fewer signals.
On top of that, I realised that I'd been leaving this never before in my history of exploration disgusting snail trail of incomplete systems with my ruddy tag on them, that about finished my very brief love affair with the FSS.
More recently, an FD/Windows update lost all my key bindings that had taken ages of development, (and, no I hadn't back them up, still haven't as I'm not a thinker) which added to my distaste of the system,
: Can I use it to go places and explore, YES I CAN,
: Do I enjoy it... a small amount,
: Is there other things I'd rather do instead, HELL YES, I'd rather be making a mod for Skyrim and have the Creation Kit crash when I press save.

I never use FSS. If I have a mission that requires me to find a signal source or location I scan the nav beacon.

So far I've not been bitten by the exploration bug. Tried it in the early days and found it boring. So I don't think FSS is going to be much use for me.

I never use FSS. If I have a mission that requires me to find a signal source or location I scan the nav beacon.

So far I've not been bitten by the exploration bug. Tried it in the early days and found it boring. So I don't think FSS is going to be much use for me.
You should still honk and scan every system you enter just for the system data it's a really easy way to gain reputation with any station you turn it in to

I know. Thats why this thread is 109 pages long. One of them got to 240 or so i think during beta before it got shut down.
One of the reasons why this thread has 109 pages is because people don't read what they quote.
The quote above was an off topic comment about PP. 109 pages because people don't bother to read, to learn or in general don't really want to communicate which in the real world usually means exchanging ideas and opinions.

It's just about some desperate unhappy commanders who can't stop simulating a 'majority'.
Be assured FD will never fall for this nonsense.

Last edited:
I also fiddled around with the FSS scanner and I can not figure out how it works exactly. I also still have the impression that the FSS scanner is not capable to find anything I could not find the classic way: maybe by scanning the nav beacon, using the system scan, looking into the list of objects or just into the local map!

I also fiddled around with the FSS scanner and I can not figure out how it works exactly. I also still have the impression that the FSS scanner is not capable to find anything I could not find the classic way: maybe by scanning the nav beacon, using the system scan, looking into the list of objects or just into the local map!
Guess you can't bother reading one of the umptheens tutorials in the net?
Or even reading here where even the most dedicated FSS haters usually claim it's baby easy. Doesn't that ring a bell to you?

BongoBaggins

Volunteer Moderator
This is true for explored systems: Data sold to Universal Cartographics is shared with everybody, which is why your map is populated when honking an explored or existing system in the bubble.
In unexplored space, you need to populate your navigation panel and system map by using the spectrum scanner.

As for the thread, Adam Bourke-Waite said back in June, in this very thread, that there are no plans to change the way the FSS works.
You're free to suggest ways to improve it, and they will be considered, but demanding to see a video of why its current iteration is fun to you is like a purveyor of nice sandwiches being asked to make a nice sandwich, by someone who doesn't like sandwiches*.

*Ending on an analogy is cheap and childish but funny

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom