Could or should Frontier enhance the FSS or add in and incorporate an optional ADS-like expansion module?

Peculiar. Where ever I point my ship, that is where my FSS will be pointing when I flip it on. That is how it's always worked for me. I've scanned lots of bodies that way. Visually spotting one, pointing my ship at it, firing up the FSS and it's right there.
This has also been my experience too.

That's actually a very succinct way of framing this whole debate.

It's not that the FSS in itself is bad, it's that it now takes too much time to find out if a system is worth exploring or not, and by the time you have your answer you've already mostly explored it.
Personally I think all systems should be worth exploring. When/if we get atmospherics hopefully even the bland looking ice planets will have something interesting to look at.

This. I don’t get the “interesting systems” argument from an exploration perspective.

You hold an opinion on its validity as gameplay tho? I suppose interesting is whatever that particular player decided it was in that moment of looking at the system map after the honk. It was for me thoroughly enjoyable, infact the best part of ED and it was suddenly snatched away with "exploration improvements" Put yourself in my shoes, you would be complaining aswell, wouldnt you?

This. I don’t get the “interesting systems” argument from an exploration perspective.

It somewhat depends on your goal.
If you want to scan 200 ELWs, then systems without ELWs aren't interesting.
If you want to drive around on a planet, systems without landable planets aren't interesting.
If you want to take screenshots of sunrise on a planet from the surface of its moon, then systems without etc, etc.

All of those activities are exploration, but not all of them are easy to identify without first using the FSS to scan everything.

I mean, it makes sense from a sightseeing perspective, but exploration?

Imagine if Columbus had arrived off the coast of the Americas and said “Nope, not India” and moved on.

If he had moved on, he’d have found the mainland ;)

Exploration isn’t a one size fits all occupation.
If you’re looking for something in particular, then you don’t hang around if you’ve already established that it isn’t in the area.
You might be some kind of completionist who needs to map every body to consider a system explored, but others will be happy to move on and leave that mundane type of thing for someone else ;)

Different people find different things interesting. Not a complicated concept.

I think it's also worth noting that in real life people are exploring for a variety of real and perhaps necessary reasons, looking for more space, more resources, things that will improve their lot are gain power and influence for themselves, whatever, but ED exists in a pretend galaxy where we have essentially infinite resources at our fingertips, there's no need to go find stuff (except Raxxla) because we already have everything we need.

So finding something interesting is definitely going to be subjective in regards to exploration as part of a game...

You hold an opinion on its validity as gameplay tho? I suppose interesting is whatever that particular player decided it was in that moment of looking at the system map after the honk. It was for me thoroughly enjoyable, infact the best part of ED and it was suddenly snatched away with "exploration improvements" Put yourself in my shoes, you would be complaining aswell, wouldnt you?
I hold exactly the same opinion about the FSS. I enjoy seeing planets emerging from their blobs.
"Ohh look. That's a pretty one."
"That's a close binary."
"Hey there's bio-signs there."
I'd far rather have that drawn out over a couple of minutes than immediately available on the system map. On the other hand, taking that enjoyment and stretching it out over ten minutes would be boring. I only travel the system to map or play, and I only map for 100k Cr or more.

I hold exactly the same opinion about the FSS. I enjoy seeing planets emerging from their blobs.
"Ohh look. That's a pretty one."
"That's a close binary."
"Hey there's bio-signs there."
I'd far rather have that drawn out over a couple of minutes than immediately available on the system map. On the other hand, taking that enjoyment and stretching it out over ten minutes would be boring. I only travel the system to map or play, and I only map for 100k Cr or more.

Well i guess this goes right to the heart of the matter. Frontier catered to you at the expense of others who were told "oh sorry" What the? Thats not right, cant treat people like that. Playing the game, not complaining and suddenly its taken away cause somebody else isnt happy. My first response to that was "this has got to be some sort of troll" cause i have never seen a developer single out a group of players to be excluded like that before.

Player choice is all people want but i personally am left with this feeling somebody on the dev team thinks of exlorers as "carebears" Its like the new exploration was done by a PVP teenager. Just my impression, im probably wrong.

Well i guess this goes right to the heart of the matter. Frontier catered to you at the expense of others who were told "oh sorry" What the? Thats not right, cant treat people like that. Playing the game, not complaining and suddenly its taken away cause somebody else isnt happy. My first response to that was "this has got to be some sort of troll" cause i have never seen a developer single out a group of players to be excluded like that before.

Player choice is all people want but i personally am left with this feeling somebody on the dev team thinks of exlorers as "carebears" Its like the new exploration was done by a PVP teenager. Just my impression, im probably wrong.
Hey don't blame me.

I wasn't there.

I mean, it makes sense from a sightseeing perspective, but exploration?

Imagine if Columbus had arrived off the coast of the Americas and said “Nope, not India” and moved on.

I see you keep pushing your pathetic definition of exploration, also, Columbus wasn't exploring by your own account given America had already been found by Vkings not to mention the fact that it had been settled for thousands of years.

Top Bottom