Cross-platform play

Guess that's a telling life choice about real world friends and online experience.
Honestly, that shouldn't be read with any holier than thou accents. But it is awesome that online is much further ahead than real world.

Oh well - at least David Braben wants this

The other thing I’d like to see is much more ability to cross-play outside the domain, with other players, because there’s this whole “Oh, I’m playing on PlayStation” barrier and frustration. Things are changing like that in a really good way.

stormyuk

Volunteer Moderator
Yeh maybe eventually it will come and it will be cool, I am however, still firmly in the camp not in the first 3 months please. Let us get some progression on PS4 first. :)

Last edited:
Cross-platform play is against the contract terms of both XBox Live and PSN. So unless FD negotiate an exception, it won't happen.

On a purely technical level it is absolutely possible. This is purely a matter of politics of Microsoft and Sony.

Deleted member 110222

D
Cross-platform play is against the contract terms of both XBox Live and PSN. So unless FD negotiate an exception, it won't happen.

On a purely technical level it is absolutely possible. This is purely a matter of politics of Microsoft and Sony.

Between the consoles yes. However, PS4 does have PC/PS4 cross-post in War Thunder.

How that ever came about I don't know.

stormyuk

Volunteer Moderator
Between the consoles yes. However, PS4 does have PC/PS4 cross-post in War Thunder.

How that ever came about I don't know.

Paragon from Epic Games. is also cross play PS4/PC. It must be a console only thing. (Xbox Live to PSN as Toumal suggests)

Last edited:
So potentially the instancing could allow PC<>PS4 and PC<>Xbox but not PS4<>Xbox.

It would be a start. You'd only have issues when you want to wing up with all 3.

Well, what I really want is not playing against users on other platforms, but rather use my account on different platforms. I'd buy a VR game pc if I could play with my xbox account. And I'll buy the PS4 version, but just to try it, I won't start over. Also still have drop outs on the PS4 pro which is not funny.

When I asked him about PC <> Xbox crossplay after MS said it now supported that, Frontier's Gary Richards said:

I would assume it would be similar (i.e. along the lines of "hopefully maybe in future once hurdles are jumped") for PC <> PS4.

For Xbox <> PS4, or full Xbox <> PS4 <> PC, I'd expect that it's got pretty much zero chance whatsoever, thanks to Sony.

PC <> PS4 Works flawlessly as evidenced by FFXIV so it's more likely that M$ tries to implented a doomed standard like the the Zune or M$ Phones and ofc Sony would not adhere they already have working cross platform titles

Rather than cross platform, I'd like the ability to leave the Milky Way and run over to Andromina for a couple of drinks and a hooker. One should party like there's no tommorow in there own galaxy, to many people know my wife and would rat me out. But the sky is the limit when you go somewhere else like the galaxy next door. I reckon in a sense that's crossplay but a different way of looking at it. I mean if ED were to annex NMS and Andromina, and blend them all together, I pay what ever for that.

Frontier has posted about cross-platform on the Forum in the past although I'm not going to do a search to find it at the moment. My impression was that it is on the list of things to consider in the future so it is on the table. Still there are balance issues. A player on a console with a basic gamepad controller or even the current available T-Flight HOTAS 4 versus a $5000 gaming PC with $500 or more invested in controllers plus lots of aftermarket editions that the consoles are not able to support. If nothing else I figure two years away so we will have Elite combat players on the PS4 that can hold their own against a PC. As there are already experts on the Xbox maybe they should be the 'guinea pig'. We'll see how well that idea works out on the Forum. :)

Last edited:
Will this ever be a thing?

I expected more from Frontier Crossplatform wise at the very least for PC <> PS(2,3,4) which has a documented history of crossplatform releases

Afaik it started with FFXI on the PS2.
Next highprofile case was CCP that made a Dust514/EVE crossplatform that was PC <> PS3
it's also noteworthy that Dutst514 was a PvP FPS MMO
And last but certainly not least there is FFXIV that has Crosssplatform (you can't tell who plays on console and whos plays on pc) once M$ gets off its high horse Sqenix would still be interested on adding the Xbox

Deleted member 110222

D
I expected more from Frontier Crossplatform wise at the very least for PC <> PS(2,3,4) which has a documented history of crossplatform releases

Afaik it started with FFXI on the PS2.
Next highprofile case was CCP that made a Dust514/EVE crossplatform that was PC <> PS3
it's also noteworthy that Dutst514 was a PvP FPS MMO
And last but certainly not least there is FFXIV that has Crosssplatform (you can't tell who plays on console and whos plays on pc) once M$ gets off its high horse Sqenix would still be interested on adding the Xbox

Isn't it Sony who doesn't want to play with Xbox? Can you provide any evidence for the how & why?

It would be hard to implement now because they've already allowed duplicate CMDR names across platforms which seems like a bad move, as it allows no possibility of merging them in future without a lot of hassle.

Or:
To join cross-platform you need to amend your name. Then you have a stand-off and the first to buckle changes, the other gets to keep the name!

Whole new gameplay loop! :D

A little sad to hear the "There will not be cross platform play" from Brett. The "will" implies its not something in progress or being considered atm. I had hopes for a secret project to be afoot and an announcement soon after 2.4 so the Fuel Rats could operate cross-platform. Looks like thats scuppered, at least in the short term unless Brett is playing a very cunning ruse that's so cunning you could put a tail on it and call it a weasel... Ah well, I'll live in hope that Brett is related to Edmund Blackadder :)

wouldent hold my breath, i can only think of two games that cross platform, and its quite a pain in the to setup from what i understand.

Deleted member 110222

D
Top Bottom