Cross platform play

Cross play - or as an intermediate compromise cross save - I think is a minimum requirement of any multiplayer game being released in 2020 2021.
If it's not a feature of the upcoming expansion then I will be very disappointed.

Moaning over PvP can be alleviated and worked around and should not be the primary focus of the discussion. The fact is, this game desperately needs cross play. There are so many shared elements to the game now, that cross play seems like a huge glaring omission.

We need cross play and we need it now in early 2021.

(btw I play PC and PS4 and I use a HOTAS - I am not worried about being matched with mouse and keyboard players, which is where the real advantage is)

Your ship turns as fast on PC and console. Only advantage is just the game running better. Crossplay would be really nice thing to have... And also that you wouldn't have to pay extra to Sony to play open, pg or cqc.

No the PC user will not Put up with the crap limits Required by consoles... and Console hosts in an instance will restrict asset generation...
Over half the Ships missing in a conflict zone/has res site...
Over HALF the mining rocks removed from mining rings...
Assets missing on a planet when in SRV driving...
Pop up distance of items increased so that the PC can only see assets in game at the same time as Console...

The PC GPU Class Will ALLWAYS out do the console generation the RTX2080 Is all due a replacement and is allready state as out of date as another number has been announced, cards like the 1660 allready was a low tier card... the PC game player will not allow downgrades...

Basically this ^^

Also check my thread here

Now imagine how it would be to have a fight with a PC player in an asteroid ring and you suddenly are being accused of cheating because the PC player just seen you (and filmed you) flying through an asteroid? An asteroid that does not exist on Console, but it is present on PC?

Basically this ^^

Also check my thread here

Now imagine how it would be to have a fight with a PC player in an asteroid ring and you suddenly are being accused of cheating because the PC player just seen you (and filmed you) flying through an asteroid? An asteroid that does not exist on Console, but it is present on PC?
As one of these players would be the host in P2P system, the rocks would be present for both. Besides, the guy you're responding to seems like to be trolling ;) don't feed trolls

while Fleet carriers in the game became cross platform the securities on that FC don't, so if you set the clearance to dock to friends only the specific platform friends will have access, makes specific BGS play a pita. recognition of a player ID cross platform is a must as soon as possible even if full cross platform never comes....

As one of these players would be the host in P2P system, the rocks would be present for both. Besides, the guy you're responding to seems like to be trolling ;) don't feed trolls

Not sure it will work that way since the engine on consoles is imposing certain limits on certain objects.
NexGen of consoles might get the same galaxy as PC users and maybe they will enable crossplay only for PC and NexGen consoles, but not for XB1/PS4

Still, the only CrossPlay i want would be between Consoles only.
Competitive gameplay between PC and Consoles is not possible given the vast advantages a PC user have.
And since we dont have a PVE mode...

Not sure it will work that way since the engine on consoles is imposing certain limits on certain objects.
NexGen of consoles might get the same galaxy as PC users and maybe they will enable crossplay only for PC and NexGen consoles, but not for XB1/PS4

Still, the only CrossPlay i want would be between Consoles only.
Competitive gameplay between PC and Consoles is not possible given the vast advantages a PC user have.
And since we dont have a PVE mode...

That would be like two PC players interacting with different graphics setups. I'm sure the consoles can handle being in the same instance just fine. Atleast when not being as host. Far as I know it's the same game engine. Maybe Fdev should give us some details... Tho they rarely tell community anything whats up :p

Just one thing reading this thread stroke me.... How egoistic * you have to be vote against crossplay when solo and PG are availble, and question to all those who reject it, when game have better chances to grow, with more options offering more variety to majority of players or viceversa? BTW, i m PC player but sometimes i m watching PvP videos from consoles, and nothing strikes me, AFAIK there are plenty of PC PvP-ers using controller and are considered above avarage. Cheats? sure, but its 1 more reason for crossplay, as cheating affecting bigger number of players gives stronger reason for FD to act more aggressively aghainst it. Real advantage PC players have is that player pool is simply bigger, so you had more time to prepere for challanges that come with open, rest is mostly irrelevant and monster under the bed syndrome 90% of carebears have.

That would be like two PC players interacting with different graphics setups. I'm sure the consoles can handle being in the same instance just fine. Atleast when not being as host. Far as I know it's the same game engine. Maybe Fdev should give us some details... Tho they rarely tell community anything whats up :p

With the difference that my XB is rendering half (or maybe less) of the asteroids a PC user is seeing.
Each client is doing its own rendering so the theory that i will see the full field of asteroids if i join a PC user hosted session is false.
They need to solve that first.

Check the link i posted. The differences are quite striking.
And maybe it's worth noting that the 24km EGG that most of the PC miners were exploiting for a full month did not even exist on consoles.

huh, didn't expect that. Tho they are different instances. I doubt that if 2 solo players went to the belt at same time same spot, facing same direction, that they get a same rock layout.
Could cause a huge performance issue tho on consoles if they dropped into an instance with very high amount of rocks. Atleast my PS4 struggles in a belt, especially if blowing up an asteroid.

Just one thing reading this thread stroke me.... How egoistic * you have to be vote against crossplay when solo and PG are availble, and question to all those who reject it, when game have better chances to grow, with more options offering more variety to majority of players or viceversa? BTW, i m PC player but sometimes i m watching PvP videos from consoles, and nothing strikes me, AFAIK there are plenty of PC PvP-ers using controller and are considered above avarage. Cheats? sure, but its 1 more reason for crossplay, as cheating affecting bigger number of players gives stronger reason for FD to act more aggressively aghainst it. Real advantage PC players have is that player pool is simply bigger, so you had more time to prepere for challanges that come with open, rest is mostly irrelevant and monster under the bed syndrome 90% of carebears have.

Don't tell me that a competitive PC player is not using pip macros (or any other type of macros) and/or kb/mouse and/or joystick curves.
And let's not talk about the immense advantage a VR user is getting in terms of positional awareness

so yea, egoistic? nah, rather realistic

And since you mentioned Cheats - we dont have cheats on consoles simply because we PAY for our multiplayer experience and both Sony and MS are rather radical when it comes to treating cheats.
You have multiplayer for free and a Free service will not yield enough money to FD to invest in anticheats.

Don't tell me that a competitive PC player is not using pip macros (or any other type of macros) and/or kb/mouse and/or joystick curves.
And let's not talk about the immense advantage a VR user is getting in terms of positional awareness

And since you mentioned Cheats - we dont have cheats on consoles simply because we PAY for our multiplayer experience and both Sony and MS are rather radical when it comes to treating cheats.
You have multiplayer for free and a Free service will not yield enough money to FD to invest in anticheats.
You're painting the crossplay to be quite a boogeyman. Should we divide ps4 players too on HOTAS users and dualshock users?
VR is quite a small percentage in overall userbase to be even considered as an issue. Besides, that advantage would go against other PC players too. As for macros go, atleast the youtubers posting videos don't seem to use them. Besides, there's nothing to be afraid about them. Mostly what I've seen they're used by pirates to send a prepared message to their prey. :)
Apparently mouse is a good way to aim in the game tho. Havent used it but it won't make your ship turn faster and only benefits with fixed weapons. I think Xboxers atleast have the device to connect your keyboard and mouse to your xbox.
Joystick curves? not if they make any advantage in a game where the ships have max turn rates, but I reckon more expensive controllers come with more features. Nothing wrong with that. If someone wants to play with better equipment than I do, go nuts.
For cheaters, I've seen couple youtube videos over the years about couple guys cheating.. that's about it. Fdev do ban cheaters tho, so if you see one, report him.
Paying ransom to use our own internet is total tho. Sony has nothing to do with Elite servers.

I doubt that if 2 solo players went to the belt at same time same spot, facing same direction, that they get a same rock layout.

Of course they get the same rock layout - that's the magic of procedural generated galaxy. They will get the same rocks if they land on a planet in the very same spot and face the same direction.
How do you thing mapped mining works? Someone takes screenshots with position, asteroids, route, etc - then publishes those screenshots plus the instructions - and everyone else can do mapped mining using those screenshots. Everyone on PC of course - we console plebs are not enjoying the same number of asteroids

Of course they get the same rock layout - that's the magic of procedural generated galaxy. They will get the same rocks if they land on a planet in the very same spot and face the same direction.
How do you thing mapped mining works? Someone takes screenshots with position, asteroids, route, etc - then publishes those screenshots plus the instructions - and everyone else can do mapped mining using those screenshots. Everyone on PC of course - we console plebs are not enjoying the same number of asteroids
I would use the same reasoning as it seems that the surface rocks and stuff move about when relogging. While the terrain features are always there, surface scatter stuff might swap spots

Problem is you are reffering to HIGHEST level of organized pvp that is releveant for less than 1% of players on PC PLAYING in open, so it's realistically 0.1-0.3% of Elite playerbase, and giving this -1% as a case against crosspaly, btw i m pvp-er, not best one, not worst one, i dont use VR, track IR, not even macros or voice attack, RT acces to INARA is rather somethnig shiny than usefull, so using those as case against crossplay you just confirming what i said earlier- "monster under the bed"

Should we divide ps4 players too on HOTAS users and dualshock users?

No, that's a choice.
The fact that we cannot use relative mouse or the number of KB bindings or the macros a PC user has access too, it is no longer a choice - it's a limiting factor.

VR is quite a small percentage in overall userbase

Indeed, but they're quite vocal as you can see in the Odyssey launch thread :)

No, that's a choice.
The fact that we cannot use relative mouse or the number of KB bindings or the macros a PC user has access too, it is no longer a choice - it's a limiting factor.

Indeed, but they're quite vocal as you can see in the Odyssey launch thread :)

same way as playing the game is on console is a choise ;)
Some PC playings play on controllers, HOTAS, or whatever input device they might like. Some maybe choose the mouse and keyboard, but I don't think they should be put in the different instances either.

Problem is you are reffering to HIGHEST level of organized pvp that is releveant for less than 1% of players on PC PLAYING in open, so it's realistically 0.1-0.3% of Elite playerbase, and giving this -1% as a case against crosspaly, btw i m pvp-er, not best one, not worst one, i dont use VR, track IR, not even macros or voice attack, RT acces to INARA is rather somethnig shiny than usefull, so using those as case against crossplay you just confirming what i said earlier- "monster under the bed"

If a PVE server would be possible - yea, you'd be right.
But most of the CrossPlay people are wanting CrossPlay to shoot other people not to send them O7s.
So now we're not talking about 1% of the player base - we're talking about pvp-ers. And we get back to competitive play

You might be an exception.
I know Morbad is another exception.
But watch any PVP movies - the very vast majority are using every trick in the book to gain an advantage and secure a win

Anyway - as i already said - there might be some tiny hope of CrossPlay on the NextGen consoles, but on XB1/PS4 i dont really think so.

If a PVE server would be possible - yea, you'd be right.
But most of the CrossPlay people are wanting CrossPlay to shoot other people not to send them O7s.
So now we're not talking about 1% of the player base - we're talking about pvp-ers. And we get back to competitive play
You dont need any of tools mentioned to gank noobs, all those have meaning only vs very good experianced players, ganking is state of mind, not state of skill, similarly to exclusion to play solo/pg, so if you remove those tools (if they matter in the first place, but they dont in majority of cases) as ganker jcan ust take bigger ship to kill faster. Ganking is problem of non existent C&P and lack of game balance or lack of any pvp related to territory control, and thats what power play and BGS should do, but not problem with open or future cross platform.

Last edited:
Top Bottom