PvP Current PVP meta...

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
I'll make sure I don't get hit by missiles then. :)

Although, if I remember rightly, utility placement on the FAS is tragic. I'd have to show the missiles my belly (is there anything else of importance under there?) for the PD to get its hits in. Must try to remember to do that.

Its not the algomaitc fight but its another FAS, this one is built with a meta PVP build.

[video=youtube;3k8_bo86Z10]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3k8_bo86Z10[/video]

Just got done reading through the whole thread. It's been a gold mine of info. Thanks, especially to the gankers that have posted. I've been blown up numerous times by a few of you (I'm looking at you 90'skid). But seeing you guys openly post what your using and build advice makes you guys all right by me.

ALGOMATIC

Banned
IS there a good FRAG cannon PvP build right now?!

im using 4 frags on a FAS right now and it seems to be working pretty good. but i do have a little bit of a hard time when other CMDR keep their distance.

i was actually thinking of making a FDL . something like this:

https://coriolis.edcd.io/outfit/fer...Rj4yrI.Aw18aQ==..EweloBjEoUwQwOYBtYhARgtoA===

FAS with frags defenitly works, and yes the counter for them is when your enemy keeps distance, that's a given since otherwise frags would be OP with their massive damage units.
Use heat to disappear from their radar when they are far away, and have a bi weave shield otherwise you are in danger of being sniped.

GCI is everyone. Good guys and Bad guys. There is no role playing here. There is only getting really good at combat. We set up tournaments and when people get really good then can try to qualify for the PVP league. Good guys and Bad guys all help each other. Then the roleplaying stays in the game. We all respect each other, even though PVP actions can get heated. We still shake hands and go at it again.
2 rules no premium ammo, we try to keep it as fair and balanced as possible. No combat logging.
Try to be respectful of the GG and GF's in a fight. However its not mandatory as I am sure you'll find out. Most wing fights end in death. 1v1's are a place to learn different load outs and ship maneuverability.
So, we leave the at the door. And we help each other git gud. Then we fight in the game for various reasons. And its fun to have real fights for real reasons when you arent 1v1ing and so forth.
We are the good guys :D always have been. ;)

I have a FerDL but it is set up for killing bugs dead. I hear the FAS is a good PvP ship-killer. Or would a second FerDL be a better choice? Your thoughts?

Last edited:
I have a FerDL but it is set up for killing bugs dead. I hear the FAS is a good PvP ship-killer. Or would a second FerDL be a better choice? Your thoughts?

FDL is a good starting ship to use.

Using heat sinks and SCB's

The FAS is a more advanced ship and is pretty hard to use right now due to scramble spectrum and High Yield cannons/Superpen Rails.

Id start with the Meta FDL build. 3 plasmas 2 long range rails.

ryan_m

Banned
Those superpen rails are a pain. I'm gonna have to spend a lot more time with them before I can hit consistently from a distance.

A little trick people use is to subtarget the ship you want to hit and get out to 3-4km. There is a subtle microgimbal effect that will make it a LOT easier to hit the ship as well as the subtargeted module.

IS there a good FRAG cannon PvP build right now?!

im using 4 frags on a FAS right now and it seems to be working pretty good. but i do have a little bit of a hard time when other CMDR keep their distance.

i was actually thinking of making a FDL . something like this:

https://coriolis.edcd.io/outfit/fer...Rj4yrI.Aw18aQ==..EweloBjEoUwQwOYBtYhARgtoA===

Problem with frags is closing the gap on anyone remotely competent. In large wing fights you can sneak up on folks but in a 1v1 it's game over unless you have a significant speed advantage. That's why frag clippers were popular for awhile.

Don't think I'd dare running frags with all the LR builds going around - I mean, they can definitely work - I just think there are more powerful options at your disposal right now.

A little trick people use is to subtarget the ship you want to hit and get out to 3-4km. There is a subtle microgimbal effect that will make it a LOT easier to hit the ship as well as the subtargeted module.

LR should've never gone beyond 3.5 or 4k max. Sheet is nuts.

ALGOMATIC

Banned
Problem with frags is closing the gap on anyone remotely competent. In large wing fights you can sneak up on folks but in a 1v1 it's game over unless you have a significant speed advantage. That's why frag clippers were popular for awhile.

Don't think I'd dare running frags with all the LR builds going around - I mean, they can definitely work - I just think there are more powerful options at your disposal right now.

LR should've never gone beyond 3.5 or 4k max. Sheet is nuts.

Frags work, you need to know how to fly evasively untill you close the distance gap.

The current meta with LR rails sort of counters frags but they are most dangerous for module sniping, they dont produce enough dps otherwise and are countered with mrps or shield tanking.

Good rolls on the frags and you have more than 1000 damage units per shot (4 frags build for example).

Frags work, you need to know how to fly evasively untill you close the distance gap.

The current meta with LR rails sort of counters frags but they are most dangerous for module sniping, they dont produce enough dps otherwise and are countered with mrps or shield tanking.

Good rolls on the frags and you have more than 1000 damage units per shot (4 frags build for example).

I have a hull-tank FAS with only Double-Shot G5 Frag Cannons with Screening Shell, and 4 Heatsink launchers for Silent Running.

Against another FAS with Plasma I think I managed to get in the right position for a good salvo only once - but then again, I'm not exactly an experienced pilot yet...
I'm sticking with the FdL for now simply because it's easier to fly.

There are many great things about an all-frag build, chiefly that it is fun, it offers the possibility of a quick victory not a long drawn out grind-fest, and that it gives the user a clear, defined tactic to pursue.

The reason I don't use them anymore (and I have used them as much as anyone) is that the all-frag build runs contrary to what I generally consider the guiding principle of PvP outfitting, as outlined on these forums long ago by dread pirate Cmdr Derath, in the early stages of ED, when he was perhaps the galaxy's most celebrated PvP-er, with his Cr.100,000,000 bounty. I paraphrase slightly but the maxim is essentially:

"Build to beat the best ... and you will beat the rest anyway."

The all-frag build is the direct opposite of that, 1v1. If you beat someone with it, they weren't the best. And you probably would have beat them with something else anyway. And if you do meet the best, you won't beat them.

Still, enormous fun though, which after all is the point of playing a game. And as others have said, surprise attack in winged combat is a different ball-game: there it can (sometimes) beat the best.

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom