Game Discussions Cyberpunk 2077 - official gameplay

rootsrat

Volunteer Moderator
Speaking of AI tools - have you tried the new cyberdeck from Phantom Liberty? That one is something.
No, I only fixed my modbuild recently, which was a bit of an undertaking, considering I run over 120 mods currently :D

Had to respec and rebuild my character following that for my endgame save. Only started PL yesterday and I think I am too weak for it, so considering starting a new game for that. The only thing is, I got so used to my V... it's hard to let go! :D

After seeing the Phantom Liberty ending where you side with Reed, get Johnny removed, but speed two years in a coma and then need lose most cyberwear, I decided to see how much weaker that would really make V.

Reed states that, "Your...neurons can no longer handle most implants, chrome. Your brain can manage your personal link and simple coprocessors...but any use of a combat implant could kill you." Vik later confirms that there are major issues with your 'motor cortex systems'.

I then loaded a game from where V was infiltrating the spaceport after having 'combat cyberwear' disabled to get an idea of what this constituted. All of my character's mods seemed to work normally, probably because the only operating system I had installed was the cyberwear booster thing.

Removing all cyberwear seemed excessive, but I wanted to err on the conservative side so I did this:
RQ7S08O.jpg

I pulled every piece of cyberwear that I didn't think would work on a vegetable, ruling out anything that needed to be manually activated, or that seemed to rely on any sort of external sensor input, leaving only the entirely passive skeletal and integumentary augments, plus the automatic or basic circulatory stuff (no microrotors as that seemed like it would tie into the motor cortex stuff). Face mods cannot be removed so I downgraded the eye to the most basic one and didn't bind/use the faceplate. I swapped out the double jump leg mod for the Leeroy Ligament System, as the latter seemed more passive and shouldn't require much in the way of motor cortex load.

So, now I had a suite of passive, purely defensive, cyberwear that should be kosher for the constraints mentioned for why V would need to retire, I decided to see if this would be enough to do the secret ending on the hardest difficulty...which would be my first time fighting the buffed Smasher in 2.x. Due to the loss of gorilla arms (which were not classified as 'combat' by security, but which seemed a step too much to keep) I decided to respec to blades, but left my usual attributes and kept my focus on tech weapons.

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QkZ7VnKdxCs

Things did not go smoothly at all. I brought entirely the wrong weapon loadout for Smasher. The dual tech SMGs worked extremely well for getting to him, but the charge function was bugged half the time I used it, causing delays that made fighting a Sandevistan user painful. I also didn't bring a large enough variety of weapons and ran into major ammunition issues in the final battle that forced me to rely on a sword for about half the damage I needed to do to Smasher.

Fortunately, Smasher also got stuck at one point and figuring out his patterns was not too difficult. V's second heart had to revive her three times, but I eventually prevailed. I think with a year of physical therapy and advanced medical intervention, the V I had would have still been a monster without a single brain-connected piece of cyberwear.

Had a lot of fun with Phantom Liberty, but the game still has that common issue where the narrative doesn't match up with the gameplay mechansims provided. There were many points, though both the main game and expansion, where I felt that my V was railroaded into things that the game had provided clear mechanisms to bypass or negate. This goes beyond those cases where V simply refuses, or isn't provided with an option, to do something, to make some choice, but where entire scenarios seems absurd given the constraints already depicted.

Last edited:
Have you ever used a quickhack before?
And, seeing that you're >100 hours in - have you replaced your cyberdeck with something else (sandevistan or berserk)? Never tried it myself, but from memory, according to their description these didn't support quickhacks. So if you're sporting one of them, you'd better visit a 'doc and replace them with a cyberdeck if you want to use quickhacks.

If you have a deck, then
you need to assign the quickhack to a slot of the deck (different types and ranks of deck will support different numbers and ranks of quickhacks), then target your target and select the quickhack you want to use. The virtual training shard you are offered while sitting in the car before that intro mission where you retrieve the not-quite-dead client together with Jackie has an introduction also for quickhacks.

I don't know if you can redo that virtual training mission (did you complete the theft mission?), but might be worth a try to check if you have the training shard still somewhere in your inventory.

Okay here's where I must be going wrong, I obviously haven't used a hack before. If I go up to the bloke and ask to see his inventory then I can see that I've got 3 versions of the ping hack - Tier 5 - in my inventory.
Once I come out of that buy/sell screen though I can't find even find them never mind equip them!

I have found a tier 5 sandevistan warp dancer though. Don't know what it is, don't think I've ever used it.
So it's this I need to get rid of?

I have found a tier 5 sandevistan warp dancer though. Don't know what it is, don't think I've ever used it.
So it's this I need to get rid of?

You can only have one "operating system" type cyberwear installed. So, you cannot use a Sandevistan and a cyberdeck simultaneously.

You can only have one "operating system" type cyberwear installed. So, you cannot use a Sandevistan and a cyberdeck simultaneously.

Right. I've changed it for a cyberdeck at a ripperdoc, I can now equip the ping hack into one of the slots, still nothing happening when I approach the camera though.

Oh there it is!
You have use that scanner thing and then you get hack options, even on locked doors and stuff!
Over a hundred hours in and I've just discovered this! I never use the scanner because up till now it has never done anything useful.

While I've got some experts here, is there anything I can do with the thousands of tier 1 to tier 4 components I'm carrying?
I only use tier 5 stuff now, can they be sold or converted to tier 5 stuff?

Over a hundred hours in and I've just discovered this! I never use the scanner because up till now it has never done anything useful.

Even without a cyberdeck or any other cyberware the scanner still flags enemies on the map and reveals items. It's also pretty handy for seeing in the dark a bit better, especially if one has raytracing or path tracing enabled.

While I've got some experts here, is there anything I can do with the thousands of tier 1 to tier 4 components I'm carrying?
I only use tier 5 stuff now, can they be sold or converted to tier 5 stuff?

You can craft higher grade components from lower ones. However, even if you're only interested in top tier items I'd recommend keeping some tier 1 components around to make ammunition from.

Things did not go smoothly at all. I brought entirely the wrong weapon loadout for Smasher.
Never really got the hang of them (or they're just plain useless) - but would you consider those arm-internal missile launchers as being unuseable under the "no brain connections" rule?

You can craft higher grade components from lower ones. However, even if you're only interested in top tier items I'd recommend keeping some tier 1 components around to make ammunition from.

How is this done please Morbad? Crafting is another part of the game I haven't touched and being able to convert the lower components into higher ones would be a big deal.

I've never run short of ammo, I always just top it up at gun shops.

Never really got the hang of them (or they're just plain useless) - but would you consider those arm-internal missile launchers as being unuseable under the "no brain connections" rule?

All the arm cyberwear would seem to require some sort of two-way link for proprioception, including the projectile launch system. They are pretty basic, but I was avoiding anything I thought would need to provide more than basic diagnostic data; the feedback needed for the integrated weapon systems felt like a step too far...even the legs and bloodpump were borderline.

Also, the projectile launch system is pretty terrible, unless the skills for it are maxed out, and it's more of a burst damage thing. I'm sure it would work, but it wouldn't be much faster than a sword. If I had brought a shotgun and higher rate of fire assault rifle, it would have been fine. Problem with my dual SMG setup was that I only had one ammo pool that was effective against Smasher and I underestimated how much health he'd have.

How is this done please Morbad?

Just go to the crafting page in the inventory and select the component of the tier you want...which will cost components of the next lower tier to make.

I've never run short of ammo, I always just top it up at gun shops.

There are some protracted engagements where ammunition can potentially be a concern.

Top Bottom