Powerplay Cycle 43 PP Commentary

Yes you could have done nothing. This controversy is all generated by your expansion in the first place. If you had done nothing there would be no issue. Wadir is horrible for you. The community will undermine it every week too as its easy for them.
Your community is already undermining us, don't pretend this will happen from now on, our prep of Mikunn is in response to your players actions.
Maybe it isn't players from your specific group, but from one of the many other PMF groups, we have no way to tell.

We haven't done any BGS work a against you yet, we gave it half a week to see what you would do.
You know that we know whats going on now, its really up to you guys as to what happens from here.

Not even half of our commanders are pledged to the alliance. Moreover, you know very well we have to pledge to someone, so this is entirely generated to put pressure on them for no reason other than to pressure the alliance. Perhaps the opposition you are receiving from them there is due to you making their systems contested with your expansion.

Yes we are saying we aren't helping them this turn. Why would we? They don't even need it. You aren't even trying against them.

The odds that we land in Wadir are low, but the odds that we expand into your new bubble when it is sitting right in our expansion area is extremely high! Thats why we fought the expansion.

I would think you would have a better understanding now that you can't go by how many merits we have handed in until the end of the cycle to determine what we are or are not trying against :)

Don't know where you got 15,000 players from. Mercs have 200+ affiliated players, 75 active in the last month. Players move in and out. I suspect it is the same for the other groups in the Border Coalition which are about the same size.

None of the undermining you see is the Mercs. You are making this faux cassus belli's. Fine so be it but the act of aggression was you. Starting with Wadir, and now this again.

- - - - - Additional Content Posted / Auto Merge - - - - -

I urge the rest of the Border Coalition not to respond from here on out. It is clear they are going to advance anyway. Having pirates act like we are attacking them is giving me a headache. You are the Kumo Krew, act in character, good lord. Those merits aren't ours. Just admit you are the aggressors.

Last edited:
Everything we do is aggressive to him, because it's not part of their plan. It's simple really.

If you want to try to control what happens in Power Play, then do Power Play - or ignore it completely.

You know McFergus, I looked up to you once. I really did. You inspired me to learn PowerPlay mechanics and I considered you something of a mentor until you defected from ALD so you could help improve ALD's economy from the outside.

Since that time we became adversaries, though I still respected you for your contributions to the community. Particularly for giving the Kumo Crew hope and rallying the die-hards there. Unfortunately, while I subsequently developed friendships with PredictedCy and Mikalus, the relationship between you and I degraded. Why?

In short, because I started contributing to GalNet, and wrote pieces that opposed your viewpoint. Folks like Mikalus and Withnail engaged with me by writing pieces that supported the Kumo perspective, thus earning my respect and indeed my friendship, because they were contributing to the community and making Elite feel alive.

While Mikalus and Withnail and PredictedCy became people I could call friends, you attacked my work and dubbed me the Reichsmarshall of Propaganda, taking every opportunity to abuse my name.

Read over your work here, and your past dozen or two dozen commentaries on PowerPlay statistics. The only real distinction between your work and mine is that when people read my work they know it is fiction. People come here and read at the best your assumptions about what people are doing behind the scenes, and at the worst your outright lies about what you claim to know is going on behind the scenes. Your comments elsewhere on the Forums and Reddit impart more of the same.

To paraphrase the motion picture, "Patton":
"I know I'm a prima donna. I admit it. What I can't stand about [McFergus] is, he won't admit it."

You know McFergus, I looked up to you once. I really did. You inspired me to learn PowerPlay mechanics and I considered you something of a mentor until you defected from ALD so you could help improve ALD's economy from the outside.

Since that time we became adversaries, though I still respected you for your contributions to the community. Particularly for giving the Kumo Crew hope and rallying the die-hards there. Unfortunately, while I subsequently developed friendships with PredictedCy and Mikalus, the relationship between you and I degraded. Why?

In short, because I started contributing to GalNet, and wrote pieces that opposed your viewpoint. Folks like Mikalus and Withnail engaged with me by writing pieces that supported the Kumo perspective, thus earning my respect and indeed my friendship, because they were contributing to the community and making Elite feel alive.

While Mikalus and Withnail and PredictedCy became people I could call friends, you attacked my work and dubbed me the Reichsmarshall of Propaganda, taking every opportunity to abuse my name.

Read over your work here, and your past dozen or two dozen commentaries on PowerPlay statistics. The only real distinction between your work and mine is that when people read my work they know it is fiction. People come here and read at the best your assumptions about what people are doing behind the scenes, and at the worst your outright lies about what you claim to know is going on behind the scenes. Your comments elsewhere on the Forums and Reddit impart more of the same.

"I know I'm a prima donna. I admit it. What I can't stand about [McFergus] is, he won't admit it."
When I read this post, I know it is fiction.

Everyone knows you have a personal vendetta towards the Kumo Crew, but the part when I clearly put SPECULATION at the top is hopefully telling everyone that what I am writing is speculation.

I have no lies in any of it, but perhaps you could highlight which part of this weeks post has disgusted you so much

Read over your work here, and your past dozen or two dozen commentaries on PowerPlay statistics. The only real distinction between your work and mine is that when people read my work they know it is fiction.

No. Your work is fiction that becomes part of the official lore and story line, significant or not, as soon as it gets accepted.

Unless your have been going until now completely oblivious of that fact. However I don't think you are that kind of a person.

Everything we do is aggressive to him, because it's not part of their plan. It's simple really.

If you want to try to control what happens in Power Play, then do Power Play - or ignore it completely.

If we ignore you completely will you continue to let us expand our factions in the area? So far Fergal says no. So how can we ignore you?

A I said on reddit, why don't you sort out your 3d map and then we can all see how your space is affected by us and vice versa.

Everyone knows you have a personal vendetta towards the Kumo Crew, but the part when I clearly put SPECULATION at the top is hopefully telling everyone that what I am writing is speculation.

I have no lies in any of it, but perhaps you could highlight which part of this weeks post has disgusted you so much

If by “personal vendetta” you are referring to rallying support against the de facto “bad guy,” then yes, that is certainly true. You folks are my “super-serious-video-game-adversaries” by default. There is nothing “personal” about it. As for “disgusted,” I’d substitute the word “disappointed.”

As you pointed out, “everyone knows” I am a staunch opponent of the de facto “bad guy,” Archon Delaine. That reinforces part of the point I was trying to make, and makes a nice segue for your “personal vendetta” against the Empire. How many months now have you been trying to incite an “Imperial civil war?” A quick lazy Reddit search on your comments show makes the case for a minimum of 7 months pretty easy to make.

The vast majority of your “SPECULATION” is dedicated to a supposed “mini Imperial civil war” that a combination of Hanlon’s Razor and negotiations you are not privy to would more accurately describe. Why would you dedicate such time and effort to this type of “speculation?” Allow me to speculate: you have a vested interest in “Imperial Discord.”

You’ve spent a great deal of time weaving an elaborate tale about this “mini Imperial civil war,” while opportunities to “SPECULATE” about a comparably juicy Federal civil war seem to have escaped your attention. It seems 100% of the Hudson player base was not marching in lockstep during preparation last week, and some of his expansions aggressively contest Winters territory. Why were these tidbits about Federal 5C and Federal civil war overlooked? After all, it's only harmless speculation you are writing here, am I right? Allow me to speculate: you have a vested interest in “Federal Unity,” or should I say, a united front against the Empire.

TL;DR
“Speculation” is a funny way to spell “Propaganda,” but it's only called propaganda if you identify as an Imperial.

If by “personal vendetta” you are referring to rallying support against the de facto “bad guy,” then yes, that is certainly true. You folks are my “super-serious-video-game-adversaries” by default. There is nothing “personal” about it. As for “disgusted,” I’d substitute the word “disappointed.”

As you pointed out, “everyone knows” I am a staunch opponent of the de facto “bad guy,” Archon Delaine. That reinforces part of the point I was trying to make, and makes a nice segue for your “personal vendetta” against the Empire. How many months now have you been trying to incite an “Imperial civil war?” A quick lazy Reddit search on your comments show makes the case for a minimum of 7 months pretty easy to make.

The vast majority of your “SPECULATION” is dedicated to a supposed “mini Imperial civil war” that a combination of Hanlon’s Razor and negotiations you are not privy to would more accurately describe. Why would you dedicate such time and effort to this type of “speculation?” Allow me to speculate: you have a vested interest in “Imperial Discord.”

You’ve spent a great deal of time weaving an elaborate tale about this “mini Imperial civil war,” while opportunities to “SPECULATE” about a comparably juicy Federal civil war seem to have escaped your attention. It seems 100% of the Hudson player base was not marching in lockstep during preparation last week, and some of his expansions aggressively contest Winters territory. Why were these tidbits about Federal 5C and Federal civil war overlooked? After all, it's only harmless speculation you are writing here, am I right? Allow me to speculate: you have a vested interest in “Federal Unity,” or should I say, a united front against the Empire.

TL;DR
“Speculation” is a funny way to spell “Propaganda,” but it's only called propaganda if you identify as an Imperial.

I'm glad you brought up some actual points.

I'm made no secret that Aisling players should be trying to compete with the other Powers next to them.
I see the current term used to denigrate this idea on reddit is to call any Imperial player with these thoughts a secessionist.

Maybe you could bring up what my views on this were when I was pledged to ALD?
Nothing has changed, I pushed for ALD to compete with Torval and Aisling, and you know that I went out of my way to make sure ALD snapped up all the profitable systems that were closer to Torval and Aisling than ALD.

Torval and Aisling were the only competitors to ALD out of the other 9 Powers back then.

So lets not pretend my wanting to see a "civil war" in the Empire is anything new.

Aisling attacking Patreus would be bad for Patreus.
Aisling attacking Torval would be bad for Torval.
Aisling attacking ALD would be bad for Aisling.

I believe those 3 statements above.

I know why you want to work for Imperial Unity, I believe it would be in Patreus best interests.
I think imperial unity is also good for Torval and her players should be trying to promote it all the time, as you do.

I dedicated so much in the Aosling section because I think its the most interesting thing that happened last week, and the most interesting thing happening right now.
I wish I could write something for Sirius each week.

Hudson has got a whole pile of bad preps, I think there is something different between getting bad preps on a list that large that everyone knew would be full of bad preps, and undermining profitable systems with the piracy mechanic.

I have no vested interest in Federal Unity, I have never been pledged to the Federation, and whether they are ranked 1 and 2, or 5 and 6 doesn't change anything for the Kumo Crew.

I do believe that it is a completely different situation than what Aisling faces, if you want to call me a hypocrite, so be it.

The two Federal Powers have a combined 149 Control Systems, the 4 Imperial powers have a combined 232 Control Systems.

Its not even close.

Both of the Federal Powers have other Powers all around to compete with, and there are still green systems somewhat near both of them.

Who has Aisling got near her?
ALD, Torval, Patreus.

Who is it that you propose Aisling attack, roll back their systems into Turmoil, and then expand into?
Thats the question no-one in Patreus or Torval want Aisling Players to think about.

You want Aisling to help Patreus attack the Kumo Crew, so Patreus can expand to the systems the Kumo Crew lose.
I think thats a good plan for you guys and you should keep doing what you are doing, promote Imperial Unity to help your power, Patreus.

Here's my current best guess for the rankings next cycle, presuming Hudson will staying Turmoil

xBk2Ata.png

The two Federal Powers have a combined 149 Control Systems, the 4 Imperial powers have a combined 232 Control Systems.

Its not even close.

Okay, now compare the population counts, because "Command Capital is the lifeblood of Power Play."

You are well aware that population per control system matters more than sheer number of Control Systems.

Okay, now compare the population counts, because "Command Capital is the lifeblood of Power Play."

You are well aware that population per control system matters more than sheer number of Control Systems.

CC per bubble is extremely important, as is distance from HQ for the fortification triggers, but the total number of Control Systems determines the majority of the weekly score.

The 4 Imperial Powers, what many player refer to as "the empire" is not on the verge of collapse, its nearly twice the size of the two federal powers.
Forget population, just look at the cc income

I'm glad you brought up some actual points.

I'm glad you brought up even more slanted propaganda.

I see the current term used to denigrate this idea on reddit is to call any Imperial player with these thoughts a secessionist.

Your choices of words are fantastic in the way you describe things. If a chunk of the United States up and part ways with the rest of of the United States, would it be "denigrating" to call them "secessionist?" No. It is what it is. There's nothing denigrating about it. What is denigrating is the way you cast aspersions upon those who wish to honor an allegiance. There's a reason a "treason" penalty is applied when a Powerplay Imperial destroys another Powerplay Imperial's ship.

Maybe you could bring up what my views on this were when I was pledged to ALD?
Nothing has changed, I pushed for ALD to compete with Torval and Aisling, and you know that I went out of my way to make sure ALD snapped up all the profitable systems that were closer to Torval and Aisling than ALD.

Torval and Aisling were the only competitors to ALD out of the other 9 Powers back then.

So lets not pretend my wanting to see a "civil war" in the Empire is anything new.

Don't think I made any pretensions that you have been anything but desirous to see an Imperial Civil War. Since you're big into "the facts," I covered my bases with a "lazy Reddit search" which made a strong case for a minimum of 7 months of effort on your part to incite a civil war. The comments above confirm you've been at it for even longer than 7 months. Thank you.

Aisling attacking Patreus would be bad for Patreus.
Aisling attacking Torval would be bad for Torval.
Aisling attacking ALD would be bad for Aisling.

Aisling attacking Patreus would be bad for the Empire.
Aisling attacking Torval would be bad for the Empire.
Aisling attacking ALD would be bad for the Empire.

I know why you want to work for Imperial Unity, I believe it would be in Patreus best interests.
I think imperial unity is also good for Torval and her players should be trying to promote it all the time, as you do.

Do you really know why I work for Imperial Unity? No, I really don't think so.

Did you know that I created my Reddit account because I was sick and tired of seeing members of the same major faction at one another's throats? Yep. My first post? - https://www.reddit.com/r/EliteLavigny/comments/395r1x/olive_branch_petition/

I was with Arissa Lavigny-Duval then, who in your own estimation would come out on top in an Imperial civil war. So if my faction would come out on top, why not bring on that civil war? Why not smack down all those "upstarts" in the Empire?

Seriously though. During those early cycles the Empire had no real competition. The Federation was disorganized and despondent. In fact, I popped over to the Winters sub during that time and provided a meager pep-talk of sorts. So, since "Torval and Aisling were the only competitors to ALD... back then," and the Imperial Throne was up for grabs, why the devil would I advocate for Imperial Unity when it was clearly not in my best interests to do so (according to you)?

Because it "would be bad for the Empire" as a whole. Because it would only serve to benefit the enemies of the Empire. And because I hear your local supermarket is running low on popcorn.

As Arissa said:
"Together we are stronger than those who wish to seek to tear us down."

I dedicated so much in the Aosling section because I think its the most interesting thing that happened last week, and the most interesting thing happening right now.

I'd believe you here if you were to contrive a similar thread about the Federation, as I mentioned in my previous post. It was a similar opportunity for you to work some additional fan-fiction a la Fergus.

I wish I could write something for Sirius each week.

Hudson has got a whole pile of bad preps, I think there is something different between getting bad preps on a list that large that everyone knew would be full of bad preps, and undermining profitable systems with the piracy mechanic.

I have no vested interest in Federal Unity, I have never been pledged to the Federation, and whether they are ranked 1 and 2, or 5 and 6 doesn't change anything for the Kumo Crew.

I do believe that it is a completely different situation than what Aisling faces, if you want to call me a hypocrite, so be it.

Hmm, you seem to have left out how much time you've spent coordinating with the Federation. You have helped them, they have helped you. Do I really need to get Driggers to write a report on how much time you spent coordinating with the Feds prior to his defection? Heaven knows how much you've done since then.

Were the Federation subject to your own "personal vendetta," I'd imagine you'd dedicate a good chunk of your posts to making mountains out of Federal molehills as well. Perhaps you'd even exchange your weekly update on the changes in the slave markets to something designed more specifically to incite tension between them.

Cool.

Its not even close.

Gotcha.

Both of the Federal Powers have other Powers all around to compete with, and there are still green systems somewhat near both of them.

So basically, you're telling me you are not bothering to write about the Feds because everyone else is hammering them without additional effort on your part. That makes more sense.

Who has Aisling got near her?
ALD, Torval, Patreus.

Who is it that you propose Aisling attack, roll back their systems into Turmoil, and then expand into?
Thats the question no-one in Patreus or Torval want Aisling Players to think about.

You want Aisling to help Patreus attack the Kumo Crew, so Patreus can expand to the systems the Kumo Crew lose.
I think thats a good plan for you guys and you should keep doing what you are doing, promote Imperial Unity to help your power, Patreus.

I'm sure you'll be the first to tell me that the Kumo Crew doesn't lose systems. Except when you have a SCRAP agreement, of course. In reality, the entire war between the Empire and the Kumo Crew was about keeping the Kumo Crew off our lawn more than making you shed systems. Heck, the Kumo Crew evidently qualified for collapse before getting the chance to shed systems. Sandro also said Patreus was close to collapse. Good thing Imperials interested in Imperial Unity defected to Patreus and helped old Patty when he was down on his luck.

Who do I propose Aisling attack?

Check this out.

Hudson is strong against Feudal and Patronage governments. Whaaat? Those are Imperial government types. Hmm, guess he's designed to take and hold Imperial territory.

Aisling is strong against Corporate governments for Expansion, and Communist, Coop and Confederacy for control. Whaaat? Those are Federal government types. Hmm, guess she's designed to take and hold Federal territory. <SillyRPModeOn> Perhaps winning over some hearts and minds in the process. I hear the Federation is very open to Aisling's way of thinking, after all. Could be a great move for building trust and understanding between the two superpowers. I hear Senator Kahina Tijani Loren's visit to the Federation did "more for Imperial Federation relations in a month than all those ambassadors have done in decades." </SillyRPModeOff>

Are the distances to the capitals between those types of territories sometimes ridiculous? Yes. The logistics in conflicts are often ridiculous. Both you and I have flown between Kumo and ALD territory and know that well. But if Hudson can throw out weaponized expansion, so can Aisling. Every other Imperial faction has tried their hand at one point in time, surely Aisling can manage. The only thing holding Aisling back is a legacy of rubbish systems. Should Aisling manage to unburden her economy, as you have pointed out, they have more options than sliding a blade through the ribs of their allies. Will it require "taking one for the team." Yes. Aisling's allies have been "taking one for the team" for quite some time now. I'm sure she can manage a few good jabs at the enemies of the Empire.

That, or they can follow the impartial advice of the Kumo Crew.

It would be good for Patreus to promote Imperial Unity, you say? Perhaps he should have reconsidered getting our systems we lost A WEEK BEFORE he prepared it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom