Guide / Tutorial Dav's Hope for the new commander

Oh dear, I may be about to post an unpopular opinion. The thing is, I'd be very reluctant to point any new commander towards somewhere like Dav's Hope, a prescriptive out-of-universe game(y) loop where you introduce them to the concept of re-logging/mode-switching. Personally I'd want to allow the new player at least a few months of beautiful untarnished immersion as a space pilot before sullying their impressions of the game with this sort of grind-centric unpleasantness. 😬

ducks under hail of rotting vegetables

That said ... Dav's Hope does make for a terrific SRV training ground, can you scoop all the mat's in under a minute?

Last edited:
Oh dear, I may be about to post an unpopular opinion. The thing is, I'd be very reluctant to point any new commander towards somewhere like Dav's Hope, a prescriptive out-of-universe game(y) loop where you introduce them to the concept of re-logging/mode-switching. Personally I'd want to allow the new player at least a few months of beautiful untarnished immersion as a space pilot before sullying their impressions of the game with this sort of grind-centric unpleasantness. 😬

ducks under hail of rotting vegetables

That said ... Dav's Hope make for a terrific SRV training ground, can you scoop all the mat's in under a minute?

You make a good point, we should perhaps suggest this as part of a loop, where after scooping up everything here they should fly to the Jameson crash site and then on to the BugKiller crash before coming back to Dav’s Hope.
It is still a bit game but not as bad as relogging.

Oh dear, I may be about to post an unpopular opinion. The thing is, I'd be very reluctant to point any new commander towards somewhere like Dav's Hope, a prescriptive out-of-universe game(y) loop where you introduce them to the concept of re-logging/mode-switching. ...

Your viewpoint is a valid one. However, my take on this is that it removes a huge amount of frustration that comes from searching for some engineering materials. I am sure you can remember people raging about not finding chemical manipulators which was the one thing that seemed to frustrate most. Of course the introduction of material traders obviated many of the more annoying issues.

Since Dav's Hope, Jameson, Bug Killer, etc. have all had reworks at one time or another by the dev team without in any way inhibiting them surely points to them being a designed-in "well" of resources for players. As for relogging, well I am sure they could inhibit that if they wanted, whereas in contrast they actually removed the one week respawn delay for datapoint farming. (Remember having to flit from system to system to do base runs to hopefully get some MEFs?)

So, in conclusion, I make no apologies for putting this thread in place if it prevents even one person throwing their controller at the screen and dumping the game in frustration at finding engineering materials. It is up to the player if they want to relog or adopt some other process (leave the planet and return, do a circuit of locations, whatever).

Are the materials required to refuel (manufacture fuel?) for the SRV available at/near Dav's Hope?

You might find them in the resources around the area but no they aren't there specifically. However they are low level mats so you should first make sure you have plenty by trading at a material trader, you will only need to trade a couple of higher level mats to ensure a good supply.

Are the materials required to refuel (manufacture fuel?) for the SRV available at/near Dav's Hope?

Yes sulphur and phosphorous are to be found easily in outcrops and meteorites nearby - the planet should be really shiny as it seems everything contains chromium - I also often find Polonium. Keep your eyes open for the metallic meteorite signal on your circuits, I find they crop up quite frequently.

Thanks for the info about refueling materials.
The first time I visited Dav's Hope (couple days ago) the items we all want were there. I was (am) a noob so I didn't pick them up that time (didn't realize they had to be targeted). I left the system and when I went back there was nothing there except the comms stuff. I have tried switching from open to solo play and pretty much every other possibility, including exiting to desktop, all without result. I have left the system and gone and done other ED stuff for a few hours and then come back. Still no goodies.
Is this an exploit that has been "fixed"? More likely I am doing something wrong. Any ideas/suggestions would be appreciated?

Is this an exploit that has been "fixed"? More likely I am doing something wrong. Any ideas/suggestions would be appreciated?

There was talk of changing the relog behaviour of these mats, I am not really sure what happened with that, but it may be that just before you arrived some other CMDR grabbed them and they hadn't yet respawned.

There was talk of changing the relog behaviour of these mats, I am not really sure what happened with that, but it may be that just before you arrived some other CMDR grabbed them and they hadn't yet respawned.
I have been there in Solo mode only, and I have been back about 10 times already. I must be doing something wrong but it is very frustrating.

I have been there in Solo mode only, and I have been back about 10 times already. I must be doing something wrong but it is very frustrating.

I am pleased to report that your are wrong. I just took a trip out there to check and it is still working as normal. I did a short video of two runs around the circuit to prove it. So @adwbkk, you must be trying to do this in Oddity. I am sad to report that Dav's Hope is bereft of materials in Odyssey.

Last edited:
I am pleased to report that your are wrong. I just took a trip out there to check and it is still working as normal. I did a short video of two runs around the circuit to prove it. So @adwbkk, you must be trying to do this in Oddity. I am sad to report that Dav's Hope is bereft of materials in Odyssey.

Thanks for the reply Para, I will visit in Horizons.
And just for the record, regardless of how pleased you may be, I am not wrong, as you yourself point out, this does not work in Odyssey.

Thanks for the reply Para, I will visit in Horizons.
And just for the record, regardless of how pleased you may be, I am not wrong, as you yourself point out, this does not work in Odyssey.

Naturally what I was pleased to report was that the material drops were still there, not pleased to prove someone wrong. It is unfortunate that we never know which version of the game someone is referring to unless they mention it.

BTW - I have edited the OP to warn about the situation in the beta Odd version Odyssey.

Sigh, this really is guide for new players based on relogging ??
It is now and has been for the last five years a fact of life in the game and unless they make the resources at Dav’s Hope only appear once for any commander then people will relog or leave the base and return when the items respawn after a few hours or days.

However it ends up working many people will complain about it, which is of course normal.

Sigh, this really is guide for new players based on relogging ??

The point is that the introduction of Engineers meant that gathering of resources became necessary. F D deliberately introduced certain resource "wells" - the crash sites for data and raws and Dav's Hope and a few others for manufactured, base runs for data, etc. (There were other wells - like megaships RIP.) The fact that Dav's has been reworked several times and the removal of the 7-day "recovery" for base-run data points shows that the devs intended these features to be available for relogging. Their removal of the ability to relog at HGEs shows that they can prevent relogging to gather resources but choose (maybe chose {past tense}) not to do so must mean something.

So my response to you basically is - new players will want to do some engineering, here is a provided method of gathering some of the required resources.

Top Bottom