Powerplay Dear PP community .......Why?

Hello PP players.
Even though I have had this game since release. I have only just joined my 1st PP power. I had heard a lot of bad things about PP so I put it off. However, I decided I really wanted those prismatic shields :)

I have been reading the helpful guides on this forum and watching some youtube videos.

Something is troubling me. Given that the below statements are true (please tell me if I'm wrong). Why do you stick with PP. What do you get from it? Is it a way to bring PvP open players together? I would support that, but , surely the number of people using solo for transport and open for when they are in their best combat ship would mean that any player going open in a transport ship is ...... the only target..... LOL
I hope I'm missing something. So, PP players, why?

1) The only way to make a profit from PP is to earn over 5000 merits per week through combat at 30 merits per ship that's about 180 kills (takes me about 16 hours). Killing a mix of competent fighters and freighters isn't exciting play.
2) PP seems to be designed (due to radius income) so that no power can never win. So, for example there is no chance that one power can try and take another powers capital and eliminate that power. It seems that all you can do is try to keep your power at close to its maximum income potential (which is probably smaller than its maximum potential physical size) .... but .... It seems there are no rewards for doing so?
3) Other than role playing which IMO is severely limited by the fake conditions which make it impossible to ever win. What do players get for all their effort. I cant see that they get anything.

Yeah...ha-ha.. powerplay.... Remind me what that was again? :D

The ONLY reason I ever engaged in it was because of the unique modules and that's it, could not care any less if it tanked tomorrow if it meant I could get those succulent, juicy modules that usually take a WHOLE MONTH of waiting to get!!!

I never touched for like a year, until I just did it for the sake of getting more modules to the collection. even then, it occupies less than 1% of my playtime and focus, I prefer watching the holoboards in stations go through like 50 advertainments than go out and do powerplay. :D

Now if you excuse me, I will be professionally waiting for 4 days until I can get my Containment missiles, then I might get Retributors for the fun of it....

Hello PP players.
Even though I have had this game since release. I have only just joined my 1st PP power. I had heard a lot of bad things about PP so I put it off. However, I decided I really wanted those prismatic shields :)

I have been reading the helpful guides on this forum and watching some youtube videos.

Something is troubling me. Given that the below statements are true (please tell me if I'm wrong). Why do you stick with PP. What do you get from it? Is it a way to bring PvP open players together? I would support that, but , surely the number of people using solo for transport and open for when they are in their best combat ship would mean that any player going open in a transport ship is ...... the only target..... LOL
I hope I'm missing something. So, PP players, why?

1) The only way to make a profit from PP is to earn over 5000 merits per week through combat at 30 merits per ship that's about 180 kills (takes me about 16 hours). Killing a mix of competent fighters and freighters isn't exciting play.
2) PP seems to be designed (due to radius income) so that no power can never win. So, for example there is no chance that one power can try and take another powers capital and eliminate that power. It seems that all you can do is try to keep your power at close to its maximum income potential (which is probably smaller than its maximum potential physical size) .... but .... It seems there are no rewards for doing so?
3) Other than role playing which IMO is severely limited by the fake conditions which make it impossible to ever win. What do players get for all their effort. I cant see that they get anything.

Because, for me anyway, Elite is damn dull without other people to interact with. The PP community has me holding onto this game by my fingernails...but I'm slipping. PP needs some love and attention very soon.

Because we are all crazy and stubborn and love the drama that PP brings. Check out the Discords and Reddits to see it.

This is why PP in my opinion is a broken and flawed system.
The fact that you have to leave the universe of the game to engage in a feature of the game is utterly ridiculous.

The entire system would make so much more sense if it weren't NPC factions you were competing for, and instead you founded your own minor faction, which eventually could become a major faction (if controlling enough systems). You recruit your own players to join you, you designate your own homeworld. You handle your own diplomacy. You have your own station with areas for announcements made by the faction leaders, and last but not least, it's all INSIDE THE GAME.

EDIT:
For reference, I've only been playing for five days now. I'm only ever in Open Play, I never see other players, and the PP system is something that's seriously annoyed me for all the credits and graft I pumped into trying to get an actual profitable system to be expanded into, for it to fall short because Hudson is in defecit and that's because of idiots that have tried to claim star systems literally hundreds of Ly from Hudson territory which means no one fortifies them.

To run a player group you have to be able to do things outside of the game. It would really suck trying to do things only in game. Some of us have jobs and on consoles to boot.

To run a player group you have to be able to do things outside of the game. It would really suck trying to do things only in game. Some of us have jobs and on consoles to boot.

Why?
If the system was properly implemented so that you ran your own player group with your own station and specific UIs (they could literally put in a new chat channel for the group)... how would that suck?
Having a job - I fail to see how this impacts it? If you're at work, you're working... when you get home to play, you'd rather be sat trawling through webforums, discord channels, reddit pages, teamspeak servers to find out what's happening in the game, before you even start the game up?
If you're playing on console, how would having the right system in place not allow for you to post a player group announcement in game? Sure, typing out the announcement is crap on a console... but you're playing on a console, so you've already forfeited half the expeirience anyway, what's using a thumbstick and X or A button to type an announcement?

I put a suggestion together to allow that to actually be achieved.
https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php/462536-Powerplay-rework-Player-Controlled-Factions

Top Bottom