Deliberate Ramming

In a nutshell; how will the karma system encourage me to take my 70m rebuy cutter into open to continue my trading there? Sounds like I'll still be ganked, and still have a 70m rebuy + lost cargo. I'm not concerned what % karma hit my attacker gets, I'm more worried about the 3 to 4 weeks of game time it'll take me to recoup the loss (under my normal game time allowance at the moment).. Unless the karma system is likely to make someone else liable for my losses if it's an unfair turkey shoot.. But I'm suspecting not...

Needed to ask anyhow [heart]

In a nutshell; how will the karma system encourage me to take my 70m rebuy cutter into open to continue my trading there? Sounds like I'll still be ganked, and still have a 70m rebuy + lost cargo. I'm not concerned what % karma hit my attacker gets, I'm more worried about the 3 to 4 weeks of game time it'll take me to recoup the loss (under my normal game time allowance at the moment).. Unless the karma system is likely to make someone else liable for my losses if it's an unfair turkey shoot.. But I'm suspecting not...

Needed to ask anyhow [heart]

That's one thing I think GTA got right - making the attacker pay the insurance bill and if they can't, the insurance company eats the cost. It doesn't cost me a thing when someone else destroys my vehicle. it's the price of killing another player. Have fun at your own expense.:cool:

it's the price of killing another player. Have fun at your own expense.:cool:

I wish!! but it's always at the expense of the victim :( aw

Makes me dash & bolt away from open like a scared bunny!

Run away!!!

anigif_enhanced-buzz-2504-1372170292-7.gif

Last edited:
I wish!! but it's always at the expense of the victim :( aw

Makes me dash & bolt away from open like a scared bunny!

Run away!!!

https://img.buzzfeed.com/buzzfeed-s...10/anigif_enhanced-buzz-2504-1372170292-7.gif

i made a suggestion earlier.

the thing benefit of a PilotFed C&P system (aka "Karma") is, that the killer can't get rid of his bounty by faking death.
if they keep a bounty that can only be revealed by a former victim, that is ontop related to what the victim has lost - he could "fight" his money back.

details a few pages earlier.

Just because a system isn't labeled as Anarchy doesn't mean it actually isn't
lol Guess someone better let Fdev know then, clearly the BGS is just lying to us
, and the security force is ridiculous. Stations don't know criminals, and security force have incredibly short memories, only apply to that one system pretty much, and if your ship is destroyed, that's it. And your insurance still covers it. That's like a guy going on a killing spree, then crashing his car, and the cop on scene says "Well, you're free to go, wanna borrow my phone to call your insurance company to get a new one?"

Stations *do* know criminals - go ahead, try and dock when "Wanted" without using silent running - , but yes, it's as you say: it's easily circumvented by the lousy suicidewinder exploit. It's something I think needs changing, and I believe Fdev's aware of it as an issue as well. I'd even bet I've seen Sandro say there's plans to deal with it? Not certain though.

You are comparing a scripted NPC interaction with what happens with players? You do know that that's cosmetic right? Try explaining how the system works for non spontaneously spawned inhabitants? Let's say Player A attacks and kills (or even robs) from Trader player B in a high security system, then goes anywhere else? Give me a play by play.

Shouldn't that be robs (or even kills) player B? :D Seems like robbing a player's far less an offense than killing one, surely....

Anyway, sure, I perhaps see the need for lasting consequences for committing crimes, maybe even have Wanted status spread across major factions rather than only minor ones, with a possibility of becoming so notorious that you'd be wanted even in independent non-anarchy systems. (Hopefully that won't include accidentally bumping into other ships near an airlock or accidentally strafing security ships at a RES....) But your claim that those things just didn't exist at all in this game was erroneous.

But where's the line? That's the problem with statements about people being to blame for crimes against them. When is enough enough? Only when prepared enough to win? You said:
What if they have shielding and weapons, but not enough to win? Or the skill to win? Or the pirate has faster thrusters? How much is enough that you don't consider them deserving of loss, and those who deserve some sympathy for their loss? Or at least some kind of police response?

I don't believe I said anything about people being *to blame* for crimes against them. But they *are* setting themselves up if they foolishly go about outside the confines of their homes without any means of self-defense or at *least* awareness of their surroundings.

If I wander around in a Type 7 in Open near a pirate hot-zone (for an NPC example let's say a Compromised Nav Beacon) with full loads of Palladium, with no shielding or weapons (which can be clearly scanned from supercruise), is it *really* not my fault if I get jumped and robbed and even blown up? As opposed to avoiding those areas, or if I must go through those areas, bringing shielding and weapons and A-rated thrusters and having a nearby system ready to High-wake to if all that is not enough? Sure, having to resort to High-wake is most common in the face of Engineering, but that's a problem with the root issue of Engineering being overpowered as hell.

There's a world of difference between blithely believing you're always safe just because security forces are around, and being prepared for anything.

You can flip things on their head here, too: how successful would a pirate be if they had no shielding or weapons or just sucked really bad at flying their ship? Is it the pirate's fault if the target has no shielding and E-rated thrusters and hasn't taught themselves about the basics of combat? Yes, the pirate *is to blame for committing a crime*, but they are NOT to be held responsible for whether the victim has prepared themselves and has any common sense.

p.s. NPC police responses can be pretty darn quick ingame, I've seen a few youtube videos of PvP that you can find where would-be aggressors get pounced on by NPC security and have to abort.

If you had read what I was saying before:
Notice now I acknowledge crimes will happen? It's just that with a justice system, it's a comfort to know there's the possibility of justice when crimes do happen. A justice system also deters the criminals who are too scared to take the risk from harming other people, and keeps those unskilled enough to be successful away. This was my main point, and that statement I was responding to coupled with a lack of justice system is saying that Open is for PVPers. He's specifically saying he lacks much sympathy for people without the skill to win in combat.

I'm confused. Are you hung up on the idea that Open is for PvPers? 'Cause that's rather the *entire point* of having Open mode.

If you sign up for a PvP mode and lack piloting competency - like, you're the kind of pilot who winds up boosting into the sides of stations when trying to dock and blowing yourself up - then yeah, Sandro has no sympathy for you. And he shouldn't. That's what PvP is about: competition from other real live people.

A justice system and the presence of security forces are *not* supposed to be enablers for anyone wanting to blithely stroll about like an innocent sheep through a forest full of wolves.

Even in purely PvE mode, you can expect to get attacked by NPC pirates pretty regularly the moment you carry any kind of cargo. Is it the *NPC's* fault if you get blown up because you didn't prepare or just outright got outplayed by the computer? *YES*, the NPC pirate is *to blame* for attacking you - that's why it gets Wanted status - but that's no excuse if you get killed by that pirate through your own poor piloting. That's not something that justice/security system should provide a crutch for.

At the end of a day, this is a game. Some level of "Yes, you do have to fight back yourself and succeed on your own merits" is to be expected compared to the real world.

__

You first quoted just what I said. I told you to look at context and then you look at just what I said yet again. I was replying to someone who said there should be PVE ONLY OPEN. That is the context of my comment. How does he imagine that working given the games physics and mechanics? Should players be coded so their guns don't damage each other, their collision physics are disabled? How would you enforce it if we all just have to 'be good sports'. That is context.

I can't help but feel you're being obtuse. I highly doubt he meant that to be "let's get rid of Open entirely and replace it with this". As to how it works, if you know anything at *all* about Mobius, how it works, and the high success it's had over *years* of existence, that should fully answer all your questions about how it works. There's no necessity to play with any physics or mechanics, no need to have no friendly fire or messing around with collision physics. It merely takes a relatively small amount of moderation to enforce any rules of PvE. Fdev quite clearly has a fully capable and talented support team, so that'd be a small worry.

If 1 single player with the help of a few friends can run Mobius successfully for what's approaching 40,000 active members (I do believe inactive players are politely removed from the group to make way for new ones, to help remedy the problem of the 20k player limit per group) for a couple years now, there's no way that Frontier can't handle something like that themselves.

Blithely ignoring the context is a great way to be asinine yourself.

Except for how I haven't ignored the context once. You just seem to forget what your own provided context is.

Last edited:
I can't help but feel you're being obtuse. I highly doubt he meant that to be "let's get rid of Open entirely and replace it with this".

That's exactly what I think he was saying, which is WHY I commented on it. You're welcome to your own interpretation but I'll let mine stand until the person I quoted clarifies for their self. Obviously mobius works just fine and the option for such a system managed by FDev is valid. To say that's what they meant would require reading into the person statement and adding a lot that wasn't there to being with. I prefer to let the words people actually use be the basis of my response to them. It's called not assuming things. Any who... This conversation isn't productive so lets move on, huh?

First of all FD should repair their net code, because people have connection issues, errors etc. which look like combat logging... I'm playing many mmo's where there are hundreds of people in one place and I don't have such problems like in ED when there are only few people in the instance.

Last edited:
First of all FD should repair their net code, because people have connection issues, errors etc. which look like combat logging... I'm playing many mmo's where there are hundreds of people in one place and I don't have such problems like in ED when there are only few people in the instance.

1. All those MMOs have the same old "connection issues". 2. It's not "net code", it's a long chain of things that make up the *internet* between you and Elite Dangerous servers.

There are definitely some weird issues that go on with instancing and NPCs and so on, but I'm able to log in to Elite and stay connected 100% of the time for periods of days or more, if I care to.

If you're having spotty internet issues, ditch wireless and find a way to have a hard wire connection. If you can't reach the router with ethernet, then look into powerline adapters. Worked for me.

Hello Commanders!

Some thoughts.

Most of the issues we are aware of with ramming are malicious attempts rather than accidents.

The docking computer is meant to confer immunity from prosecution because we know for a fact that it does not have malicious intent.

The challenge with players is that we can never know intent, which is why we have to rely on quite blunt mechanisms that do not give benefit of the doubt (i.e. no crimes for collisions under 100 m/s, always a crime for speeds above, the reason being that it's extremely difficult to cause damage to ships flying below this speed). This is why we never want to assign blame to a Commander using a docking computer when they collide with another Commander's ship; we can never know how much the other Commander might have been to blame.

In addition, we feel that verisimilitude has its limits. Just because in real life a pilot might be responsible for their craft when using autopilot does not mean we want to emulate this in the game.

Also, I'll have to re-check the docking computer: it really should only engage if throttled down *and* going very slowly.

Looking to the future, if/when we get to add a karma system (no ETA, no guarantee) it will allow us to add another layer of finesse to the thorny issue of ramming accountability. Such a system will allow us to track trends over time. An honest Commander who has the occasional mishap will trend very differently to a malicious serial rammer intent on farming salt. We will be able to use this trend tracking (hopefully) even for slow speed collisions, so malicious "grind-rammers" should start to stand out and be punished appropriately.

I got a new Cutter. My very first docking, I went through the mail slot, and there was an oncoming Adder or Hauler or something coming out. I thought that I missed it. And I was approaching slowly, getting the feel, as it was brand new to me.

But, as I approached the pad, my ship starting maneuvering VERY weirdly. So much so that I exited out and re-entered the game and redid the entire dock. My best guess is that I caught that little ship in a wing and it was trying to fly through me.. :/

Thing was, I had no clue exactly what was going wrong.

Indeed ramming should be punished by a fins in the fire zone.

If you drop someone shield you receive a wanted status as if you shot him. You can high wake jump and come back 5mn later to pay your fine.

It would deals a lot with griefers that use an unwanted rammers to drop your ship so the wanted buddy can finish you off.

Hello. :)

I'm not sure about practicality, but I think the most effective solution would be to put human eyes on the problem.

Hire some reliable people, give them all copies of the specially-modified Elite: Space Traffic Control Edition and get them to track and watch anyone who's been instanced with any pilot experiencing a PvP collision resulting in either shield-stripping or death. The guilty parties can be identified and recorded - and then PFBed and fined up the wazoo, before being shot faster than a ginger sheepdog with a broken leg.

Works for me. :)

I'm not sure about practicality, but I think the most effective solution would be to put human eyes on the problem.

Hire some reliable people, give them all copies of the specially-modified Elite: Space Traffic Control Edition and get them to track and watch anyone who's been instanced with any pilot experiencing a PvP collision resulting in either shield-stripping or death. The guilty parties can be identified and recorded - and then PFBed and fined up the wazoo, before being shot faster than a ginger sheepdog with a broken leg.

Confirmed! New career in Elite: Dangerous. :cool:

That's more or less what Valve does to handle griefing (and undetected cheating) in CSGO. It's very effective, and would be superbly effective in a game like ED where it takes time to build up new accounts.

The only problem is that I suspect it's also very difficult to implement effectively.

Believe me when I say I would love to be ATC in elite.. that would be my forever job.

But... with great powers comes great responsibility and all the jazz.... and the ability to allow ships in an out of a station effectively gives control of said station to the player ATC.

Pilot is always responsible

The only thing I can think to say here:

If UsingDockingComputer = True Then Fine == 0

In all cases, at all times. If you're using a Docking Computer, you should never be fined, because you are no longer in control of your ship, Fight Control is, and any wrongdoing would be on Flight Control, not you.

Crushed an Orca full of Space Nuns with a Corvette while Auto-Docking? Not on you. Flight Control has some 'splaing to do there.

A real pilot doing a real landing at a runway using automated systems is still responsible for the actions of the plane. He/she would be expected to watch what is happening and take manual control if the auto-landing system starts to mess up. No reason Elite should be any different. I vote no to use of docking computer as extenuating circumstances.

Believe me when I say I would love to be ATC in elite.. that would be my forever job.

But... with great powers comes great responsibility and all the jazz.... and the ability to allow ships in an out of a station effectively gives control of said station to the player ATC.

A bit impractical what with the tens of thousands (if not more) of potential locations to be doing that with. It'd be like one needle in a haystack trying to find another needle in the haystack.

Top Bottom