Detention? Are you kidding me??

Because waiting whilst the courts sort it out over a period of years would be really really really dull.

If you have no intention of discussing something candidly, wouldn't it be simpler to just not bother typing out an evasive reply at all?

If you have no intention of discussing something candidly, wouldn't it be simpler to just not bother typing out an evasive reply at all?

You asked about real life in reference to video game spaceships, I gave you an honest and candid reality check.

Real life is frequently not fun.

You asked about real life in reference to video game spaceships, I gave you an honest and candid reality check.

Real life is frequently not fun.

No.

I responded to a reference to real-life made by Factabulous.

The simple fact is that we're all already familiar with real-life so basing the legal system in a game on real-life (where possible) is likely to result in a system that's rational, consistent and intuitive.

No.

The simple fact is that we're all already familiar with real-life so basing the legal system in a game on real-life (where possible) is likely to result in a system that's rational, consistent and intuitive.

Which takes us back to my point about it taking years (decades sometimes) to sort out in real life.

The NFZ is consistent and intuitive, leave it before opening fire or duck into the safety of the station problem solved.

No.

I wasn't comparing C&P with IRL, I was comparing the reaction of criminals within the justice system - subtle difference, sorry it got us off track.

Comparing with IRL seems flawed as I can't think of a justice system like the in-game one. Even in the Wild West I believe the bounties were 'dead-or-alive' (and many were taken to court) - where the game deals mostly in 'dead'.

If I understand the documents correctly, fines do not result in being transferred to a det ctr, only bounties do.
So bug it is?

I should have known that this post would be swarmed by freedom loving americans who are so used to and enjoy their FEMA centers for jaywalking.
As for the rest of us living in the dictatorship world (that is every place on the planet outside of usa), the concept of sending you to gulag for steping on the red line is very new indeed. Perhaps we need a lesson in democracy?

Yikes...

images

Mine did.

Well you are either wrong or experienced a bug, because by design they don't.

That's not the only time it's happened.

IIRC, I was visiting Lei Chung at the time, to get a shield upgrade, and I made a point of moaning that getting the bounty, and being hostile to the base, meant that I was, effectively, prevented from progressing in the game for a week.
I seem to recall specifically making some comment about how the game "encourages you not to play".

That should be enough to allow you to find the thread I made about it. ;)

Course, all I ended-up doing was heading up to the nearest station, bought a Sidey, got myself blown up and it was business as usual. [up]

Doubt it, because Suicidewinders no longer remove a bounty.

PS
I tried to google your thread using the keywords you mentioned. No luck. Looked at all your threads created since end of 2017. No luck. It seems like your thread doesn't exist. Only one that comes close is this one:
https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showt...-that-got-fined-in-order-to-pay-it?highlight=
But it's completely different from what you described (again).

Last edited:
And, to restate my original question, why shouldn't it work in a similar way to real-life?

You are asking a Russian Bot with limited artificial "intelligence" a reasonable question, expecting a reasonable answer? StigBOT also believes that serious bugs should be left in the game because they give us "emergent gameplay" :p

FWIW, I'm with you, at least in regards to where real life uses common sense (which is not always the case). Whichever station / outpost issues a fine should take payment for the fine, and fines should not result in loss of service (anonymous protocols). Unpaid fines should turn to bounties, and the more you are fined in a particular "town" for the same action, the cost of the fine should scale up. Eventually if you keep committing the crime over and over, then you should be issued bounties instead of fines. Easy peasy - a 5th grader could figure it out!

You are asking a Russian Bot with limited artificial "intelligence" a reasonable question, expecting a reasonable answer? StigBOT also believes that serious bugs should be left in the game because they give us "emergent gameplay" :p

FWIW, I'm with you, at least in regards to where real life uses common sense (which is not always the case). Whichever station / outpost issues a fine should take payment for the fine, and fines should not result in loss of service (anonymous protocols). Unpaid fines should turn to bounties, and the more you are fined in a particular "town" for the same action, the cost of the fine should scale up. Eventually if you keep committing the crime over and over, then you should be issued bounties instead of fines. Easy peasy - a 5th grader could figure it out!

That thread Babelfisch just linked to is a great example.

Back when C&P was new, almost everybody thought it must be a bug that you have to be flying the ship you committed a crime in before you could pay the fine associated with it.
Now we know that's intentional.

Why it has to be that way, of course, is an entirely different matter.

Thing is, real-life legal proceedings tend to be complicated because courts need to consider evidence in order to establish guilt.
That isn't the case in a game because the game is the ultimate arbiter of truth and is capable of establishing guilt instantly and with 100% accuracy.

In real-life, you might kill somebody out in the middle of nowhere and it'd take 6 months before the body is discovered, the police would investigate, it'd be several months more before the investigation led to you, then the police would have to find evidence against you (your whereabouts at the time of the murder, your motives, a link to the murder weapon, witnesses, etc), present their evidence to the CPS, they'd have to decide whether to proceed with a prosecution, a court date would be set and then the evidence, along with your defence, would be heard and a verdict would be reached.

In a game, if you do the same thing, the game automatically knows whether you did it, and what the circumstances were so it can instantly apply a suitable penalty.

That being the case, any "indecisiveness" in the system must be a deliberate choice on the part of the game-designers.

In a game like ED, you probably do want to have a certain amount of "indecisiveness" in order to allow people to do dodgy things if that's how they want to play.
Even so, a dev' still has a responsibility to make the system intuitive, so that a player can make informed decisions about that they choose to do, and what the consequences are likely to be.
Creating a system that is still completely abitrary, even if the things it involves are opaque and obscure, is not a satisfactory solution.

I think its time you buried your forum password in the garden again.

That thread Babelfisch just linked to is a great example.

Back when C&P was new, almost everybody thought it must be a bug that you have to be flying the ship you committed a crime in before you could pay the fine associated with it.
Now we know that's intentional.

Why it has to be that way, of course, is an entirely different matter.

Thing is, real-life legal proceedings tend to be complicated because courts need to consider evidence in order to establish guilt.
That isn't the case in a game because the game is the ultimate arbiter of truth and is capable of establishing guilt instantly and with 100% accuracy.

In real-life, you might kill somebody out in the middle of nowhere and it'd take 6 months before the body is discovered, the police would investigate, it'd be several months more before the investigation led to you, then the police would have to find evidence against you (your whereabouts at the time of the murder, your motives, a link to the murder weapon, witnesses, etc), present their evidence to the CPS, they'd have to decide whether to proceed with a prosecution, a court date would be set and then the evidence, along with your defence, would be heard and a verdict would be reached.

In a game, if you do the same thing, the game automatically knows whether you did it, and what the circumstances were so it can instantly apply a suitable penalty.

That being the case, any "indecisiveness" in the system must be a deliberate choice on the part of the game-designers.

In a game like ED, you probably do want to have a certain amount of "indecisiveness" in order to allow people to do dodgy things if that's how they want to play.
Even so, a dev' still has a responsibility to make the system intuitive, so that a player can make informed decisions about that they choose to do, and what the consequences are likely to be.
Creating a system that is still completely abitrary, even if the things it involves are opaque and obscure, is not a satisfactory solution.

I think the idea is to stop the suicidewinder and giving people the option to participate in both, criminal and non criminal gameplay without removing consequences.

I think the idea is to stop the suicidewinder and giving people the option to participate in both, criminal and non criminal gameplay without removing consequences.

That's what I think. Most of the new C&P is about abolishing the suicidewinder.

Back
Top Bottom