News Dev Diary #5

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.

Sir.Tj

The Moderator who shall not be Blamed....
Volunteer Moderator
Development Diary #5

"In this development diary David answers community questions and discusses passenger ships, a new class of vessels for Elite: Dangerous!"

Love the latest Dev Diary, being able to destroy a NPC Capital ship. :cool:

Last edited by a moderator:

Philip Coutts

Volunteer Moderator
Ha ha ha of all the questions I've asked he had to pick the cat one to answer! :eek:

The kids are getting 2 cats so one of them is definitely being called Jameson!

Happy days! :)

Also loving the details behind the new passenger ships and also the use of the word "kidknapping", sounds very interesting to me! Sounds like buying a high class passenger ship could be high reward but equally high risk.

Loved the backdrop and the update, although as usual :) it raises a number questions.

Can only passenger class ships carry passengers?

If you are taking an important person could that generate a player mission for someone to pick up and come looking for you - player vs player mission or will this always be an NPC?

I thought the new rule was that David was going to purposely mispronounce all names like he did with psykokow?

Loved the Cat question and the background images of, what is presumably, the Space Station is massive...

Could be interesting going big game hunting for dinosaurs... surely that HAS to be a mission eventually...

My main concern though is that the subs insisted on calling Mobius 'No '... Subs got most other names wrong too so you got your wish, sort of, John.... :D

JohnStabler = John Stabile
FanGrim = Fan Graham
Phillip Coutts = Phillip Coops

The only one the subs got right was Flavio!

Excellent dev diary once again though!

Thanks David and FD

Really, David and his team want to play the game. This is evident since the beginning, with their motivation. David said once again, it will be a fantastic game. And even more fantastic with future updates. To hunt the dinosaur and other animals in the galaxy, to bring fresh meat to rich passengers, of luxurious spaceships, will no doubt an exciting adventure. What a great adventure we live since Kickstarter.

Last edited:
All for flying passengers on fancy ships and all that but some passengers might be looking for a different sort of boat - aka M.Falcon in Star Wars. Will all ships be able to carry passengers?

All for flying passengers on fancy ships and all that but some passengers might be looking for a different sort of boat - aka M.Falcon in Star Wars. Will all ships be able to carry passengers?

Well, he did said that the passenger ships was an "additional thing" they are looking to add to Elite: Dangerous. So yes, it's just the rich folks that might consider those simple accommodations inadequate. ;)

Those pax ships had better be extremely well protected - in reality most people wouldn't fly with an airline unless it had a 99.99999% reliability record (let alone risk of pirates) so for ED to be credible, it can't be that they are gettin picked off every other tour ...

Those pax ships had better be extremely well protected - in reality most people wouldn't fly with an airline unless it had a 99.99999% reliability record (let alone risk of pirates) so for ED to be credible, it can't be that they are gettin picked off every other tour ...

I agree with this, it would be bizarre if you could buy one of those luxury transports and then repeatedly sell your passengers as slaves, or hold them hostage for a ransom.

Great video! Although I felt Jero123's question was awful. I mean really. For one, the question itself generalizes pretty much everything ever, and makes it hard for DB to answer, but what is worse, is that it is filled with assumptions! Games more 'casual' then ever before? By who's count? EVE online easily trumps pacman and pong in complexity.

What a waste of a question. Especially since we already know the answer to it. What is the defining attribute of the Elite series? Accessibility. Elite is quite easy to fly, at least until you have to dock. Frontier was exceedingly easy to fly, until your autopilot was destroyed and you started flying 'manual'. The Elite games have always been about accessibility for all, except for having a rather high skill ceiling as you learned more about the game, and realized you are not half as good as you think you are. ;)

Seriously, what an awful question. :|

Great video otherwise! and excellent art behind Mr. Braben's head! Loved the people boarding the passenger ship.

Loving the background, that station must be HUGE the scale is awesome...

Yes, about those stations...

Any chance of getting a look on the progress of these anytime soon? Especially the interior of them. :cool:

All we have seen so far are that one station during the KS and some early concepts sketches.

They are going to be a pretty important part of this first release and I'm dying to get a peek at them! :smilie:

Great video! Although I felt Jero123's question was awful. I mean really. For one, the question itself generalizes pretty much everything ever, and makes it hard for DB to answer, but what is worse, is that it is filled with assumptions! Games more 'casual' then ever before? By who's count? EVE online easily trumps pacman and pong in complexity.

To be fair, there are a lot of questions that could be chosen from so I'm sure David picked it for a reason. Also, a lot of context surrounding the question gets lost when the list is given to David or Michael. My question was originally a little more complex in what it was asking. But either I failed to communicate effectively or it got summarised.

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom