Developer Journal: Staff

Chante Goodman

Community Manager
Frontier
Hey Zookeepers! Welcome to our fourteenth Developer Journal! In this one, we will be discussing the different Staff in Planet Zoo, and what their roles are in your zoos. To learn more, we will be welcoming back Lead Designer James Taylor!

Hello all! Thanks for having me back on for another Developer Journal; I was recently here to chat about Facilities, a Developer Journal I would recommend having a read of too if you'd like to learn as much as possible on how to maximise the usefulness of your Staff in your zoos!

There are six staff types in Planet Zoo, these are:
  • Caretakers - They sweep rubbish from paths and picnic benches, empty bins, clean toilets and help transport animals between facilities and habitats.
  • Keepers - They're essential for an animal's well-being, preparing food and feeding the animals, refilling water containers and cleaning their living areas.
  • Mechanics - They are vital in keeping the zoo running by repairing any breaks that can occur as a result of dilapidation, breakdowns or vandalism, as well as performing research for the zoo that unlocks new facilities and objects to place.
  • Security - Security Guards deter potential crimes from being committed near them, and will chase and eject known criminals from your zoos.
  • Vendors - Required by shops, as they need a Vendor to serve customers.
  • Veterinarians - Vets have multiple roles in looking after an animal's welfare, from treating illness and injuries, to capturing escaped animals and researching species present in the zoo, which gives the zoo a greater understanding of them. This leads to more effective treatments, breeding programs, enrichment items and guest education.
When it comes to choosing which Staff we add into Planet Zoo, we do our own research and determine which roles are most suitable for the game. Zoos employ a great variety of Staff, with good reason. As a zoo grows, a higher number of tasks need to be dealt with. We chose these Staff types as they allow you to add capability as and when your zoo requires it. All of the Staff cost money to employ so you'll need to avoid hiring too many of them, as this can quickly result in you losing money. On the other hand, if your zoo is understaffed, this can lead to delays in important tasks, such as feeding the animals and veterinary care, which could ultimately lead to the untimely death of animals. Finding the balance that works is part of the challenge the game sets you, and you have to remain cautious when assessing what your zoo needs and what the Staff in your care require.

Knowing when to train your Staff is also something that needs consideration, as although they become more efficient as you train them up, they will also begin to demand higher salaries. You need to regularly have a look at what your Staff are feeling and thinking, so you can evaluate if there is something you need to do to stop them from becoming so unhappy that they quit and leave your zoo without a vital Staff member. As your zoos grow, so does your Staff workload, but they will still need regular breaks to continue working at their optimum levels. In some cases, it may be necessary that you have enough Staff that they are able to cover each other's workloads when some go on breaks. It can be tough to juggle looking after your staff, your animals and your money, which is why it is necessary to grow your zoo at a pace that suits your capabilities, to prevent from becoming overwhelmed with tasks.

To keep your zoo running efficiently, there are a few things you can keep in mind. Ensure that there are enough Staff to cover the types and volume of demand in your zoo, whether it be from your animals or your guests. Make sure that Staff don't have to travel too far to reach any Facilities they frequently use, which is why it is always good to keep the Staff Paths in mind. In busy areas, your Staff will struggle to get through the bustling crowd, which makes it difficult for them for perform their tasks. To prevent your guests from making your Staff perform badly, ultilise the Staff paths wherever you can. Another thing you can do is set up workzones, as this will help keep Staff capacities in certain areas of your zoo more consistent. You can set your Staff to only perform some tasks, such as research, which is an insider's tip for when you want to gain enrichment items a lot faster. But, it is important to keep in mind that if you hire a Staff member and only set them certain tasks, you will need to hire another of the same type to ensure that nothing goes amiss. Finally, make sure that you train your Staff up, as this will only ever make them more efficient. While you will have to pay them more as their climb up their career ladder, your zoo will run smoothly in their care.

Keep those tips in mind and your Staff will work hard and perform well in your Zoos!

Joël

Volunteer Moderator
Thanks for the excellent info about the Planet Zoo Staff! I look forward to manage the staff in my zoos to the best of my abilities so that both my animals, the staff and the guests will be well cared for :D

Thank you, James, for the dev journal about our zoo staff!

Could you detail a little bit, how much more efficient a staff member will be, when leveled up? Is a high level staff member more efficient than two lower level staff members that cost the same?
(Unfortunately, I don't remember the demanded salaries for each staff level and when the payment equals the base salary of two rookies. Hence I can't be concrete here.)

I think that make the zoo keepers. The ability to guide people through the zoo is likely to get them through training. Maybe at the last level of training.

Veterinarians - Vets have multiple roles in looking after an animal's welfare, from treating illness and injuries, to capturing escaped animals and researching species present in the zoo, which gives the zoo a greater understanding of them. This leads to more effective treatments, breeding programs, enrichment items and guest education.

I think the vets will do the guest education, i already asked also on twitter :)

what i didnt figure out during the beta: is there still a benefit, when you have leveled out the whole research of one certain animal, but leave the vet on this leveled out slot? or can you just remove it there without loosing any benefit?

Does the vet need to access the habitat of an animal it is researching on or only research center is enough?
I mean like will he be going back and forth from research center to the animal habitat in order to research that animal thus adding the time of traveling the distance?

As far as I know, access to the animal is needed. A close-by research center is therefore beneficial for the reason you mentioned.

Hey Zookeepers! Welcome to our fourteenth Developer Journal! In this one, we will be discussing the different Staff in Planet Zoo, and what their roles are in your zoos. To learn more, we will be welcoming back Lead Designer James Taylor!

Hello all! Thanks for having me back on for another Developer Journal; I was recently here to chat about Facilities, a Developer Journal I would recommend having a read of too if you'd like to learn as much as possible on how to maximise the usefulness of your Staff in your zoos!

There are six staff types in Planet Zoo, these are:
  • Caretakers - They sweep rubbish from paths and picnic benches, empty bins, clean toilets and help transport animals between facilities and habitats.
  • Keepers - They're essential for an animal's well-being, preparing food and feeding the animals, refilling water containers and cleaning their living areas.
  • Mechanics - They are vital in keeping the zoo running by repairing any breaks that can occur as a result of dilapidation, breakdowns or vandalism, as well as performing research for the zoo that unlocks new facilities and objects to place.
  • Security - Security Guards deter potential crimes from being committed near them, and will chase and eject known criminals from your zoos.
  • Vendors - Required by shops, as they need a Vendor to serve customers.
  • Veterinarians - Vets have multiple roles in looking after an animal's welfare, from treating illness and injuries, to capturing escaped animals and researching species present in the zoo, which gives the zoo a greater understanding of them. This leads to more effective treatments, breeding programs, enrichment items and guest education.
When it comes to choosing which Staff we add into Planet Zoo, we do our own research and determine which roles are most suitable for the game. Zoos employ a great variety of Staff, with good reason. As a zoo grows, a higher number of tasks need to be dealt with. We chose these Staff types as they allow you to add capability as and when your zoo requires it. All of the Staff cost money to employ so you'll need to avoid hiring too many of them, as this can quickly result in you losing money. On the other hand, if your zoo is understaffed, this can lead to delays in important tasks, such as feeding the animals and veterinary care, which could ultimately lead to the untimely death of animals. Finding the balance that works is part of the challenge the game sets you, and you have to remain cautious when assessing what your zoo needs and what the Staff in your care require.

Knowing when to train your Staff is also something that needs consideration, as although they become more efficient as you train them up, they will also begin to demand higher salaries. You need to regularly have a look at what your Staff are feeling and thinking, so you can evaluate if there is something you need to do to stop them from becoming so unhappy that they quit and leave your zoo without a vital Staff member. As your zoos grow, so does your Staff workload, but they will still need regular breaks to continue working at their optimum levels. In some cases, it may be necessary that you have enough Staff that they are able to cover each other's workloads when some go on breaks. It can be tough to juggle looking after your staff, your animals and your money, which is why it is necessary to grow your zoo at a pace that suits your capabilities, to prevent from becoming overwhelmed with tasks.

To keep your zoo running efficiently, there are a few things you can keep in mind. Ensure that there are enough Staff to cover the types and volume of demand in your zoo, whether it be from your animals or your guests. Make sure that Staff don't have to travel too far to reach any Facilities they frequently use, which is why it is always good to keep the Staff Paths in mind. In busy areas, your Staff will struggle to get through the bustling crowd, which makes it difficult for them for perform their tasks. To prevent your guests from making your Staff perform badly, ultilise the Staff paths wherever you can. Another thing you can do is set up workzones, as this will help keep Staff capacities in certain areas of your zoo more consistent. You can set your Staff to only perform some tasks, such as research, which is an insider's tip for when you want to gain enrichment items a lot faster, But, it is important to keep in mind that if you hire a Staff member and only set them certain tasks, you will need to hire another of the same type to ensure that nothing goes amiss. Finally, make sure that you train your Staff up, as this will only ever make them more efficient. While you will have to pay them more as their climb up their career ladder, your zoo will run smoothly in their care.

Keep those tips in mind and your Staff will work hard and perform well in your Zoos!

This is quite useful information that can't be reiterated enough. I fear, unfortunately, that many won't read this information and will make mistakes in their games by not doing what has been recommended here. I fear they will then wonder why they are struggling in the game and deny any accountability on their part.

I would also like you guys to keep the zoo educator. I want someone to organize tours to the zoo, my idea is having just 1 for that ocassional work.

Here's hoping that the Zoo Educator/Guide is still intended, but maybe requiring some more work to play outright and added in at a later time. Really could work similarly to mascots from Planet Coaster and I'd be fine. Consider tours that just walk around the primate area, rainforest area, or elephant area. Where we place down nodes where they can present. Or have showtimes represented through the day/night cycle. This could help move the guide along in an area through the simulation, and I'd love to do night tours at my zoo where we focus on the nocturnal animals and lighting.
These could both up the education and happiness of guests who hover with the tour guide or pay to watch the show. The research levels could tie into the effectiveness of the tour on either education or happiness.
How about an update to the vehicle tracks as well, where a guide might help boost the education and entertainment of those on the tour.

I'm really disappointed there wont be any sort of entertainers :( not even one?

I was really hoping for a crocodile hunter or crocodile wrestler... and no that would not be inhumane or cruel, theres many real life animal trainers that educated others on animal training techniques, and they are not harming the animals in anyway, these are preservation centers that help keep the animals healthy

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qrBM-Wxlj8M&t=36m15s

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9rOBWoxyKYg&t=38s

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NfWbfozK_Xc

would also be great to see guests interacting with animals, maybe like with bird holding or petting zoos

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=REq8iQ59SJ8&t=2m20s

I was expecting most of the Planco entertainers to be included to keep continuity with shop themes and adverts, maybe in a DLC i suppose?

Last edited:
Top Bottom