Development Update 3 - August

If we get walking around on carriers.

There, hopefully, will be a slew of cosmetic downloads to customize the internal look of the concourse in carriers ... Both from a layout (ship kit) type offerings for doing things like piracy and all ... and individual items that can be placed in pre-determined locations. To crew suit selection.

And an owner's quarters accessible via the elevator only by the owner. Which can be customized at the shop separately. And i swear... if there is not a cat npc option at least in this room.... The forum fury will be uncontainable.

While true, what about simple tweaks to make peoples lives easier in the mean time?

Upping (or negating) allocations?
Up the rank bonuses for weekly work to something resembling 2021 levels?
Removing the consolidation bonus which is spanked silly by powers each week?
Give each Powers leader a 3D avatar like every other part of the game has? FD can pull them out of thin air for some.

This does not even include just telling us what FD intend to do. They've held meetings, just flipping well tell us where its going to end up.

I guess how I see it is, the people still doing it clearly do it regardless of these things. The devs recognize that PP is more or less broken atm. Fixing many of these things could encourage more players to participate and encounter the deeper broken bits, which will naturally lead to more complaints. So why bandaid it and only expose the deeper wounds? Why shine a spotlight on the problems when no solution is anywhere close to happening?

I empathize with powerplayers who have stuck with it through thick and thin, but the last thing I want is a half-fix followed by being unable to fix the core issues yet again and it languishing for years more, 'fixed' but still broken.

And an owner's quarters accessible via the elevator only by the owner. Which can be customized at the shop separately. And i swear... if there is not a cat npc option at least in this room.... The forum fury will be uncontainable.

While we might get walking about our carriers at some point its probably wise to lower your expectations on what that will involve. It's Frontier after all and MVP is a way of life for them. Besides we cant sit on a chair so what's the odds we can lie in a bed and dream of Miss Duval.

Yeah! And the speederbike SRV! That's one of my biggest disappointments atm, the fact there's only one SRV option after years! Why do we have 30+ ships and only one ground vehicle!?
Many discussions have been had about SRVs. I remember once we asked why there weren't more and we were told "well, suggest some then". So we started a thread full of those. And that was the last we heard of it.

While we might get walking about our carriers at some point its probably wise to lower your expectations on what that will involve. It's Frontier after all and MVP is a way of life for them. Besides we cant sit on a chair so what's the odds we can lie in a bed and dream of Miss Duval.

i dont expect to be able to lay down. just look at a bed. look at stuff in the room. pet the cat. There MUST be petting of the cat. Also, there must be a cat that moves around, meows, rubs against your cmdr's legs. Maybe jumps on stuff in the room.

Bonus if when you've been away a long time, the room is covered in a layer of cat hair. and all your things you have placed on tables is on the floor.

Why do you need Apex on a Carrier?

Owning a carrier without a ship is pointless, and possibly impossible. But what if you charter an Apex to a carrier and then it's jumped 500Ly away? Why happens if you get an Apex onto a carrier, and then it jumps 500Ly away, stranding you with no way of getting off of the FC because Apex can't travel you to a nearby system as there are none.

Team play. Three cmdrs apex to my carrier, we jump to a system, do missions in one ship, they respawn on my carrier if they die. Afterwards they disembark and catch an apex back to wherever they left their ships.

Second, I do a lot of stealth missions using Apex, and I always park up on my carrier last thing before logging off. So I'd rather catch an apex to the station, take missions, apex from one to the next then take an apex back to my carrier at the end. In fact, I use Apex a lot.

When people talk about public transport in real life, there's a lot of discussion about 'the final mile'. This is exactly that issue.

I'm aware of potential issues with carriers and apex, but I'm sure it could be figured out. Maybe if the carrier jumps more than 100ly from any given station, on-foot cmdrs aboard the carrier respawn at the last station they visited. Anyway, a new cmdr parking a starter sidewinder on a carrier and getting transported 1000 ly outside the bubble overnight isn't that much different. I once went on a rescue mission to collect a cmdr trapped in exactly that situation.

Well we are used to it. :) Maybe we are here just to warn new players to lower their expectations, have fun with the game, move on when they are done, never think about what Elite Dangerous could be, it will never happen anyway.
But the stubborn part of me wants to see what FD ever do with Powerplay. Admittedly EDO was delivered into the world like a half smashed Cornish pasty scraped off the pavement, and these updates are reforming that pummeled pastry into something that will eventually be good but what about things outside Odyssey? Sorting out the Asp Scout, Powerplay, doing something with military ranks?

I don't know. Maybe one day, maybe never. Either way each time its discovering an even lower state of disappointment.

Team play. Three cmdrs apex to my carrier, we jump to a system, do missions in one ship, they respawn on my carrier if they die. Afterwards they disembark and catch an apex back to wherever they left their ships.

Second, I do a lot of stealth missions using Apex, and I always park up on my carrier last thing before logging off. So I'd rather catch an apex to the station, take missions, apex from one to the next then take an apex back to my carrier at the end. In fact, I use Apex a lot.

When people talk about public transport in real life, there's a lot of discussion about 'the final mile'. This is exactly that issue.

I'm aware of potential issues with carriers and apex, but I'm sure it could be figured out. Maybe if the carrier jumps more than 100ly from any given station, on-foot cmdrs aboard the carrier respawn at the last station they visited. Anyway, a new cmdr parking a starter sidewinder on a carrier and getting transported 1000 ly outside the bubble overnight isn't that much different. I once went on a rescue mission to collect a cmdr trapped in exactly that situation.
At least you've worked out what to do with a carrier. I haven't bought one yet because I don't know what the hell I'd do with one.

It might be different if I could shoot things with it.

Last edited:
There are four layouts.
"Layout" isn't the word I'd use (assuming you are talking about station hub changes).

We have five types of social hubs: station, outpost, surface port, prison, Engineer. Each of those has one layout.

Changing a plant for a box and using a different light bulb doesn't make a station concourse a completely new layout to me.

If we get walking around on carriers.

There, hopefully, will be a slew of cosmetic downloads to customize the internal look of the concourse in carriers ... Both from a layout (ship kit) type offerings for doing things like piracy and all ... and individual items that can be placed in pre-determined locations. To crew suit selection.

Would not get your hopes up. Lets just hope we het the basics. But there is a little voice that says not going to happen.

Top Bottom