Development Update 3 - August

I guess how I see it is, the people still doing it clearly do it regardless of these things. The devs recognize that PP is more or less broken atm. Fixing many of these things could encourage more players to participate and encounter the deeper broken bits, which will naturally lead to more complaints. So why bandaid it and only expose the deeper wounds? Why shine a spotlight on the problems when no solution is anywhere close to happening?

I empathize with powerplayers who have stuck with it through thick and thin, but the last thing I want is a half-fix followed by being unable to fix the core issues yet again and it languishing for years more, 'fixed' but still broken.

Why do you think its rocket science to change 50 million to 200 million, so rank 5 dedicated players have some money to show for that work?

Change the UI to stop the hundred clicks it takes to load a ship? Or change allocation sizes since the whole allocation model is essentially busted?

These won't break Powerplay, and (I hope) would be easy to do. But for some unfathomable reason Powerplay is not allowed to have small improvements, and its users relegated to Morlock status over and over.

I'd like to hear some info on whether megaships getting Odyssey concourses means carriers will get them too. I know that those of us hanging around the Inverness DSSA carrier would love to have Vista Genomics out in the black, not just Universal Cartographics - and I imagine the same is true for pretty much all deep space explorers.

Ozric

Volunteer Moderator
Team play. Three cmdrs apex to my carrier, we jump to a system, do missions in one ship, they respawn on my carrier if they die. Afterwards they disembark and catch an apex back to wherever they left their ships.

Second, I do a lot of stealth missions using Apex, and I always park up on my carrier last thing before logging off. So I'd rather catch an apex to the station, take missions, apex from one to the next then take an apex back to my carrier at the end. In fact, I use Apex a lot.

When people talk about public transport in real life, there's a lot of discussion about 'the final mile'. This is exactly that issue.

I'm aware of potential issues with carriers and apex, but I'm sure it could be figured out. Maybe if the carrier jumps more than 100ly from any given station, on-foot cmdrs aboard the carrier respawn at the last station they visited. Anyway, a new cmdr parking a starter sidewinder on a carrier and getting transported 1000 ly outside the bubble overnight isn't that much different. I once went on a rescue mission to collect a cmdr trapped in exactly that situation.
Nice answers/ideas :)

optimisations to the Navmesh
Honestly I had a feeling this was something to do with it, as the big FPS drops I had at certain settlements seemed not to happen when they were offline and at times I could swear I got better FPS after killing the last NPC at a settlement but I could never be quite sure. The stuttery settlements also had issues with the AI being able to navigate, and the problem popping up seemed to coincide with an update that altered NPC navigation.

I could just be talking nonsense, but fingers crossed for this getting things back at least to how it was at launch for me!

Good dev update.
I feel a bit wierd with flight suits' cosmetics on top of EVA suits, but i guess a lot of commanders will be happy with it when it comes.

An actual "sphere of combat" and four player multicrew might actually lure some coop players back to the game.

But if they encounter too many bugs and ctds, it might actually be the proverbial last straw. Many of my PvPer friends have quit the game. Last week, after 6000+ hours I uninstalled.

Please, please test the bejesus out of these new coop mechanics or have a dedicated beta.

Elite Dangerous is advertised as a MMO, please make sure it functions as such.

This game has so much possibility.

[EDIT: Should Fdev have a beta test, it would be great to have all engineering unlocked and free, because although people may will be willing to test, many would not consent to grinding.]

Last edited:
Can you still use only 1 can a time?
After collecting the first sample, yes, but once you have the three samples they will be stored and the tool will be ready to collect another specimen. It's not that tricky to find three samples, I've found myself using it as part of exploration and it makes sense to only allow one specimen per collection pass.

Also, I think the point and click part should remain the same as any minigame aspect during this part is really superfluous in my mind. However, having said that, before you collect a sample there's opportunity to scan and find 'premium' samples and also analysis opportunities that could be incorporated after you've collected your three samples. Both of which should be optional for those who prefer expediency but with good potential rewards for those who want to delve deeper and make the effort to find pristine genetics.

"Layout" isn't the word I'd use (assuming you are talking about station hub changes).

We have five types of social hubs: station, outpost, surface port, prison, Engineer. Each of those has one layout.

Changing a plant for a box and using a different light bulb doesn't make a station concourse a completely new layout to me.
Dont quite get why anyone would want a new layout in the Social Hubs, new decorations sure. But new layouts should just be for the Settlements where the actual gameplay resides.

At least you've worked out what to do with a carrier. I haven't bought one yet because I don't know what the hell I'd do with one.

It might be different if I could shoot things with it.
I use mine as base of operations, particularly at secondary stars and in CGs and to keep my fleet together in one place and where I need it. And occasionally I use it a megafreighter. It's not much, but I wouldn't want to miss it.

If you’re going to force extra seats on us please allow ou NPC crew to sit in them.

Everyone I have ever seen express an opinion on the forum or Bug Tracker who uses crew really wants this. I’ve only seen posts from one person who wants extra seats in the cockpit. If we could have both, everyone would be happy.

If you’re really listening please bear this in mind.

I currently have 74 modules in storage ships, so I heartily welcome the net gain of six storage slots! :p

Oh well, I have engineered modules which cost me too much effort to want to throw away, but I'm less likely to use, so I can keep them on storage ships - there'll now be few enough of those that I can keep them at Jameson's, where I do my shipbuilding.

Also glad to see the increased bookmarks - I'm currently out in Colonia where I can rebuild the Colonia bookmark set I had to throw away for lack of space.

Still not sure why we can't have a set of user-defined bookmark folders, except that Frontier doesn't think it would be worth the effort.

Which makes one of us.

But the planetary CZ changes sound cool.

Why do you need Apex on a Carrier?

Owning a carrier without a ship is pointless, and possibly impossible. But what if you charter an Apex to a carrier and then it's jumped 500Ly away? Why happens if you get an Apex onto a carrier, and then it jumps 500Ly away, stranding you with no way of getting off of the FC because Apex can't travel you to a nearby system as there are none.
Good points that would be good considerations for future expansion to Apex, or giving Commanders the option to become Apex pilots themselves.

They said on a previous post that they were working on Anti-Aliasing, i don't remember the schedule though
Anti-Aliasing Not Working Correctly: Some changes will go in Update 7 or 8, with significant improvements, but a full anti-aliasing system is slated for later this year.

4. Nothing to do on long shuttle rides

Update 7 will provide the opportunity for players to redirect Apex shuttles in transit, avoiding instances of players feeling trapped into long journeys. We will look to mark this issue as fixed in line with Update 7, freeing up your votes to contribute to other issues.

Shuttle redirection is not a solution to this issue. Enabling us to walk around cockpit, not to mention ship interiors would be more along the lines.

Top Bottom