Diamondback Explorer SHIP KIT WIP (Proposal/feature request)

Sweet! Awesomeness!

That is quite the background you have by the way. Reminds me of Sam Sammarco's I think he was some sort of astrologer or physicist and got picked up for FDEV. I myself work in the aviation industry and eventually plan to move into the space industry. But a younger self wanted to go to Full Sail at one point in my life to get into the video game industry. Unfortunately, my arts and programming skills are non-existent.

Best of luck to you!

And best luck to you man, keep in mind...never say never...
Bye.

And thank you very much.

Last edited:
Yes i like this space-insect like you! I think my proposal is on this line.

Unfortunately, not having worked first on the original project makes things more difficult.
Everyone has his ideas, his skills and his experiences.
I am specialized in aeronautical constructions and I designed engines until yesterday (about), now I move in the video game industry.
My past shapes my future.

Hope you like it.

Oh certainly I like the work you have done! I hope I made clear it was only in this instance, and only because I think they got DBEx so, so right to start with, that your work did not represent an improvement. (For what my opinion is worth, you did a better job with the kit than FD did, so for them, it turns out my opinion is worth £ -7.00, or is it £0?!)

I would be sad if I'd made you think I was not impressed by the quality of your work (and the infectious enthusiasm with which you present it!) I am very much looking forward to seeing some other projects of yours - there are plenty of frumpy ships (and dodgy ship-kits!) that would benefit from one of your make-overs!

Good luck with that future, but I need not have wished you luck as you're clearly not relying on it - good man! ;)

Last edited:
Oh certainly I like the work you have done! I hope I made clear it was only in this instance, and only because I think they got DBEx so, so right to start with, that your work did not represent an improvement. (For what my opinion is worth, you did a better job with the kit than FD did, so for them, it turns out my opinion is worth £ -7.00, or is it £0?!)

I would be sad if I'd made you think I was not impressed by the quality of your work (and the infectious enthusiasm with which you present it!) I am very much looking forward to seeing some other projects of yours - there are plenty of frumpy ships (and dodgy ship-kits!) that would benefit from one of your make-overs!

Good luck with that future, but I need not have wished you luck as you're clearly not relying on it - good man! ;)

I think to go on with other parts for this proposal kit.
I like my work like you:D, but for now i've paid for the official kit (pretty good after all) and i wait for something special happen.
If anyone at the last floor want to speak with me about my model...
Your enthusiasm is my enthusiasm. Working all for a better Elite Dangerous.

DBX/DBS/Mod/kit/function/hardpoint

Hi, i am new to this game but i am getting the hang of it. However the random question before each action in this forum is driving me nuts. I understand that as a new player i have a lot to learn but as a new player, there are some features in this game and a few other things about the DBS/DBX that is very offputting/dumb/game-breaking. However i paid $30 and I am too stubborn to ditch the game so im gonna sit on it for awhile. One thing that annoys me the most is not being about to hyperspace drive/warp speed into the location im going to. I understand that space traveling is apart of the game but 5 to 30 minutes just to go to a station is dumb. My proposal is warp speed to the nearest star of the location rather than a dead center star. Anyway, I really wanna talk about this ship.

So as a new player, what drew me to this ship? I am not gonna lie, it looks like a pelican from Halo and because of it, well.. i became a big fan of it. Now just because it looks like a pelican it doesnt mean i am a biased supporter of it. In the DBS, it has 2 small in the front and two medium behind the front, no heavy hardpoint. In the DBX, there is no small hardpoint in the front but it has room for it which make zero sense to me, got the same medium hardpoint and a nice hardpoint on the bottom. Im not gonna lie, when i bought the 3C gimbal mult-cannon.. i laugh my off when it "unzip" it's gatling barrel. Anyway, because i was disappointed that the 2 small hardpoints are gone, i was looking into the kits. when i saw the thing that looks like it shoot stuff on the side of the wing and front bumper, i was super happy until i found out its just for looks. $12 just for a non-functional hardware added to the ship. Frontier had soooo much potential with the add-on kits and f-ked it up by not making it functional. The DBX has soooo much potential but they did it wrong. such as
° landing gear and its action
° no hardpoint on top(behind cockpit)
° the wing thrusters don't pivot for better agility
° no rear turret weapon
° no hardpoints under wings(C,MON!)

° the second wing doesn't do anything. it should look like it does now when hypercruise or.. just cruising. Now when you're in combat, it should extend and deploy more hardpoints or counter-measure equipment...like an F-14 Tomcat lol.

I do have a nice suggestion on making the kit 100x better but i have to switch up my devices to do it. However best i can do to explain it is using screenshot, right now i don't have solidworks.

One thing that annoys me the most is not being about to hyperspace drive/warp speed into the location im going to. I understand that space traveling is apart of the game but 5 to 30 minutes just to go to a station is dumb. My proposal is warp speed to the nearest star of the location rather than a dead center star.

Sadly it's an in-built feature - the FSD locks onto the largest mass object in the system, and that's where you pop out - and if you think 30 mins in SC is bad, head to Alpha Centauri and set course to Hutton Orbital - that's over an hour in supercruise! (although for the plucky few that can handle it, you get a free Anaconda on completion of the journey, so it's definitely worth it - even if you don't want the ship, you can just sell it for cash).

i saw the thing that looks like it shoot stuff on the side of the wing and front bumper, i was super happy until i found out its just for looks. $12 just for a non-functional hardware added to the ship.

As for the ship kit parts not doing anything, FD are pretty clear that ship kits are aesthetic, and it makes sense - if you could buy extra functional hardpoints, it'd make Elite pay-to-win.
Count that as a twelve-dollar life-lesson to check things out before you jump in! All might not be what you first assume! ;)

Last edited:

Sadly it's an in-built feature - the FSD locks onto the largest mass object in the system, and that's where you pop out - and if you think 30 mins in SC is bad, head to Alpha Centauri and set course to Hutton Orbital - that's over an hour in supercruise! (although for the plucky few that can handle it, you get a free Anaconda on completion of the journey, so it's definitely worth it - even if you don't want the ship, you can just sell it for cash).

largest mass object... make sense, but isnt that the argument? What make sense and what doesn't since we don't have this kind of space travel in real life. Since this game is built on theories, might as well make it a fun house of theories. I still think Hyperspace/warp shouldn't work unless you have a destination and a star. Hypercruise for is used to go to certain planets, find fights, or mining, whatever the hell you want...not traveling to another system. I've heard about that, traveling to alpha centauri for 45+ mins in supercruise. Though no one told me you get a free anaconda! dude i can deck out my DBS in a heartbeat. If anaconda had more agility then i may consider it but.. eh. Pelican for the win lol! Wanna know whats funny? I was traveling to a 200,000Ls station and i feel asleep, i woke up 5 hours later and my DBS is still flying full speed(1,500Cs i think) in hypercruise lol. I barely loss half of my fuel, i decide to warp speed the LHS 331 since the station is 300Ls away and then i went to bed lol. speaking of long distance hypercruise, is there a setting or part in the game where i can lock on to it and when it gets close it drops out automaticly? im not gonna sit here and re-adjust my joystick every 3 minutes if i am gonna travel to Centuari.

As for the ship kit parts not doing anything, FD are pretty clear that ship kits are aesthetic, and it makes sense - if you could buy extra functional hardpoints, it'd make Elite pay-to-win.
Count that as a twelve-dollar life-lesson to check things out before you jump in! All might not be what you first assume! ;)

Oh i didnt buy it, glad i didn't. now the P2W thing..Like.. i get that. Though this is a game where its not even a regular game. I thought War Thunder had it bad as far as community-Dev team goes but nope, this one takes the cake. To me, whats pay to win is getting an OP player that has unlimited health and crazy guns before anyone else and you kill a bunch of people in fortnite and they can't run from you. This game here, you got 400 billion stars, you can jump 40 times away from that player you don't like. Now since i am a new player, im doing solo play rather than open play. So because i am up against AI everything, having a quick edge against them would be nice.

update: At hutton orbital.

i really hate you right now.

update: At hutton orbital.

i really hate you right now.

A-grade forum comedy right there! [haha]

The warning was there! - you did at least pick up a mug and some gin, right?

P.S. welcome to Elite!

I never live a day without coffee, though this time was an Irish Coffee.

Now due to these annoying questions before commenting, im gonna ask what i need to know and go from there.

So i just bought the horizon since i love the engineering idea and SRV. Since the game has been around for a long time, it doesn't look like its gonna die anytime soon unless Star Citizen is fully out and doesnt
cost $30,000 or even $200..I would consider it if the 1070Ti Armor handles it well if the game cost around 150ish...anyway..to the questions!

1. does your equipment/CR stay the same in solo and open play? not comfortable yet to go open yet but i dont wanna build any further into solo play if open play is the grand feature of the game and i have to start over with a stupid sidewinder.

2. Whats the best way to make money in DBS/DBX? Im barely a Cordial and i dont have a cabin, so no Orca or dolphin cruise making 100M an hour per transport.

3. Where do i get the SRV? I found the Hanger but thats it.. or does the SRV comes with the hanger? If so.. the SRV is pretty cheap.

4. im rated as mostly harmless and when im doing "massacre" jobs with harmless rank in it, i end up finding pythons/vultures/dropship/anacondas instead of cobras, sidewinders, cobras. I don't get why that is.. I go to low intensity but all the ships there are crazy hard to kill but the pay out is less than 80,000CR.. like..come on...-
current equipment is DBS with almost max.
• 2 Rail gun(dont remember the letter)
• 2 cannon(dont remember the letter)
• 2x beam lasers
• 1A Shield booster
• 2x chaff
• 1 point defense

I never live a day without coffee, though this time was an Irish Coffee.

Now due to these annoying questions before commenting, im gonna ask what i need to know and go from there.

So i just bought the horizon since i love the engineering idea and SRV. Since the game has been around for a long time, it doesn't look like its gonna die anytime soon unless Star Citizen is fully out and doesnt
cost $30,000 or even $200..I would consider it if the 1070Ti Armor handles it well if the game cost around 150ish...anyway..to the questions!

1. does your equipment/CR stay the same in solo and open play? not comfortable yet to go open yet but i dont wanna build any further into solo play if open play is the grand feature of the game and i have to start over with a stupid sidewinder.

2. Whats the best way to make money in DBS/DBX? Im barely a Cordial and i dont have a cabin, so no Orca or dolphin cruise making 100M an hour per transport.

3. Where do i get the SRV? I found the Hanger but thats it.. or does the SRV comes with the hanger? If so.. the SRV is pretty cheap.

4. im rated as mostly harmless and when im doing "massacre" jobs with harmless rank in it, i end up finding pythons/vultures/dropship/anacondas instead of cobras, sidewinders, cobras. I don't get why that is.. I go to low intensity but all the ships there are crazy hard to kill but the pay out is less than 80,000CR.. like..come on...-
current equipment is DBS with almost max.
• 2 Rail gun(dont remember the letter)
• 2 cannon(dont remember the letter)
• 2x beam lasers
• 1A Shield booster
• 2x chaff
• 1 point defense

1) Yes, your progress remains the same between all modes (Solo, Private, Open).
2) I'm honestly not sure
3) You can get an SRV anywhere that you can get an SRV hangar. The SRV is separate, so you will need to fit the hangar slot with an SRV.
4) Massacre missions are fairly tricky to do early on. I would recommend waiting until you get a bigger ship or heavily engineer your current ship. The individual ship payouts are more of individual bonuses instead of your main source of income (the mission itself). Your loadout seems to be pretty good. In general, the letter grade of a weapon is not important, but the targeting of the weapon (fixed, gimballed, turreted) is.

1) Yes, your progress remains the same between all modes (Solo, Private, Open).
2) I'm honestly not sure
3) You can get an SRV anywhere that you can get an SRV hangar. The SRV is separate, so you will need to fit the hangar slot with an SRV.
4) Massacre missions are fairly tricky to do early on. I would recommend waiting until you get a bigger ship or heavily engineer your current ship. The individual ship payouts are more of individual bonuses instead of your main source of income (the mission itself). Your loadout seems to be pretty good. In general, the letter grade of a weapon is not important, but the targeting of the weapon (fixed, gimballed, turreted) is.

1. Awesome!

2. darn, i'll stick to small cargo and data.. recovery black box at 3 ranks higher than me is pretty scary. what i do is i turn almost everything off except thrusters and maybe flight assist if i need lower than 12 heat. The baddies don't come or at least quickly but its hard as hell to scoop the box up. when it goes well, i get paid nicely.

3. SRV hanger.. is that on the ground only or do i find those in the big docking stations?

4. yeah, i had a nice 2M CR and i got it down to zero since i was too stubborn to kill lol. (everything is gimballed except rail gun, i would've keep the turret if they fire when i want it to but nope.. it just does it until thw battery goes out.)

another question i forgot to ask, in power play.. who is the best to follow? does one make more (for me) money the other?

Last edited:
1. Awesome!

2. darn, i'll stick to small cargo and data.. recovery black box at 3 ranks higher than me is pretty scary. what i do is i turn almost everything off except thrusters and maybe flight assist if i need lower than 12 heat. The baddies don't come or at least quickly but its hard as hell to scoop the box up. when it goes well, i get paid nicely.

3. SRV hanger.. is that on the ground only or do i find those in the big docking stations?

4. yeah, i had a nice 2M CR and i got it down to zero since i was too stubborn to kill lol. (everything is gimballed except rail gun, i would've keep the turret if they fire when i want it to but nope.. it just does it until thw battery goes out.)

another question i forgot to ask, in power play.. who is the best to follow? does one make more (for me) money the other?

For the SRV hangar, you can get those at just about every station/outpost/port that has outfitting (both orbital and planet-side). Once you mount the hangar, you will need to fill the hangar bay with a SRV (kinda like fitting a module inside a module), since the SRV is not included.

For turrets, you can use the right-hand UI panel to change the targeting of turrets in the functions tab. You can change your turrets between fire at will, selected target, and forward facing modes. The forward facing mode turns the turrets into more expensive and less effective fixed weapons, while the other two modes give your turrets the full range of motion and restrict the turret's target selection to all hostile ships or your selected target.

I don't do power play, so I can't really tell you who the best person to follow is. What I can tell you is that pledging to a power will give you some power-specific bonuses (i.e. 20% bonus to bounty value), and that powers give bonuses to the regions of space they control (i.e. 15% discount on ships and outfitting) regardless of affiliation. Also, if you get a high enough rank with a power, and have been pledged for a long enough period of time you can get access to power specific modules (Prismatic Shields, Advanced Plasma Accelerators, Pack Hounds, etc...). There a lot of stuff to cover here, so I'll leave this excellent guide here.

For the SRV hangar, you can get those at just about every station/outpost/port that has outfitting (both orbital and planet-side). Once you mount the hangar, you will need to fill the hangar bay with a SRV (kinda like fitting a module inside a module), since the SRV is not included.

For turrets, you can use the right-hand UI panel to change the targeting of turrets in the functions tab. You can change your turrets between fire at will, selected target, and forward facing modes. The forward facing mode turns the turrets into more expensive and less effective fixed weapons, while the other two modes give your turrets the full range of motion and restrict the turret's target selection to all hostile ships or your selected target.

I don't do power play, so I can't really tell you who the best person to follow is. What I can tell you is that pledging to a power will give you some power-specific bonuses (i.e. 20% bonus to bounty value), and that powers give bonuses to the regions of space they control (i.e. 15% discount on ships and outfitting) regardless of affiliation. Also, if you get a high enough rank with a power, and have been pledged for a long enough period of time you can get access to power specific modules (Prismatic Shields, Advanced Plasma Accelerators, Pack Hounds, etc...). There a lot of stuff to cover here, so I'll leave this excellent guide here.

Okay i got the SRV going, i wish Frontier had more options with the SRVs. like.. make it a ground battle domination, deploy tanks/SPAAG/SPG/IFV or big cargo trucks and etc.

thats a well written topic on power play, nice! thanks for the help, really appreciate it!

Top Bottom