Discovering

Every time I supercruise to a different system I charge D-scanner and it always says I discovered new astronomical object, but when I open System map it says it was already discovered by some player. Then what did I discover?

Every time I supercruise to a different system I charge D-scanner and it always says I discovered new astronomical object, but when I open System map it says it was already discovered by some player. Then what did I discover?

I believe it is telling you that it is the first time you have been there, so have 'discovered' a new place :)

(think along the lines of finding a store selling something you like in the local High Street, you 'discovered' the place despite many others going there before you)

Not what but who discovered. Your scanner just tells you that *you* discovered new things. The fact that someone else found that before you is here irrelevant. All of this is tied to how exploration data and earning is done.

It goes like this. ED launched and CMDRs started to play. Every planet, star, moon or asteroid belt was "undiscovered". CMDRs started to fly and visit those places. And they got their own "discoveries". Bonus for being first pilot to discover given object and report it back.

Now, fast forward to today. Question: how you can perform exploration, as a new CMDR, when all bubble and every system around was already long discovered? You can't. So developers made this mechanic.

When you get into the system for the first time and scan it, you get *your* discovery. If you find system that is undiscovered by now, you get bonus of "discovered by" tag. This way you, as a new CMDR, can still "discover" places and earn money out of it.

There's second issue with "discovering" and earning money. By using that mechanic game tracks what you personally visited and scanned so you can't scan multiple times one system and claim credits for exploration data.

In short - treat galaxy as unexplored by you. The fact that given star/moon/planet already has a "discovered by" tag is irrelevant. It is *you* who discovered to for you.

You don't need to go that far out of the bubble to find first discovered stuff. Then it'll be your name the next CMDR sees.

Aps.

I don't think there is much to discover, as many players have been everywhere.

Must .... resist .... :)

No, in fact far less than 1% of the galaxy had been visited, never mind scanned.

Edit: in fact 0.003% of galaxy :) https://www.pcgamer.com/uk/elite-dangerous-players-have-only-explored-0003-percent-of-the-galaxy/

Last edited:

Factabulous is spot on. Once you've made it out of the bubble a bit it's just endless undiscovered systems. It's a real suprise when you do hit somewhere someone else has been.

Just avoid all the obvious places, e.g. Sag A or Beagle Point and the direct routes to them and you're golden.

Aps.

PS. Pedants corner: it's impossible for any player to have been everywhere, as the game hasn't been out long enough. In fact, it's not been out long enough for everywhere to have been visited, even if ALL the players were exploring, all the time.

I've just made a trip to Colonia, but it was more than 22KLy as I was going off in random directions. From around 500LY outside the bubble I was arriving in more unexplored systems than ones previously visited, at 10KLy it was more like 90%+ virgin systems. There are 400 billion systems out there of which, in truth, only a minute piece has been bitten off by others. Tuesday will bring new exploration tools for all players, seemingly designed to make exploration 'worth' doing. Kit out a ship that can do 30+ LY jumps, get a few hundred light years out from the bubble and set yourself a 1KLy waypoint then set GalMap to Economy jumps, you may be surprised how many systems you make 'yours' :)

I have about 150 first discoveries and the only real runs I've done is 5000ly for Palin and a roundtrip to colonia. Amongst those a neutron star, earthlikes, and lots of water worlds.
So finding undiscovered systems is a given once you're 2000ly's out and not on a beaten path. Plenty of space to tag :)

Let me help... "I don't think there is much to discover, as many players have been everywhere I've been"

Here is a challenge 'NebulaVoyager'

First fly to the Jellyfish Nebula, from there fly in a straight line to the bubble Nebula, enjoy the views. But thats not the challenge, the challenge is to find less than 200 undiscovered systems. I'm willing to bet that you will find it impossible to find less. In other words, if you follow the route I suggested you will have put your name on a lot more than 200 systems.

When I go on a journey somewhere, I mark where I'm heading for then set off.

Once I'm 2k Lys out from the bubble I drop down or go up 100LYs. If I'm still finding systems have been discovered by someone else, I adjust again another 100LYs.

I'll keep doing this until I start hitting 'virgin' systems.......it's getting off that beaten track when you leave the bubble.

When Columbus "Discovered" America there were already a bunch of Native American names all over everything.

And Chris's visit did not have the benefit of priority either, as Leiv Eiriksson visited some time before. There is also evidence to suggest the current 'first nations' were preceded by others.

Aps.

I think it's worth pointing out here that when the new update is released next week, I understand systems already 'discovered' by other commanders will have all bodies in the system already visible to you when you visit it for the first time. This makes a lot more sense, and more closely aligns with the OP's expectations.

You will still be required to perform your own detailed scans for things like materials and surface POI's. But the basic body data will be available without requiring a discovery scan.

cFOnfs4.gif

You are correct, there is only 99.85% of the galaxy left to discover, so yep not much left! :D

If you get a thousand or two light years out of the bubble, or even just go up or down off the zero plane a bit, you’ll start finding huge amounts of undiscovered systems very close to civilization. If you go even further you can fly for days (even weeks) without seeing a tag on anything at all.

Are you sure? As that is not how it looked during the last beta run I did - you still needed to honk then.

Ah, I may have misunderstood then.

I didn't try the beta - I'm only going by what was said on the streams. Hmmm...in that case, the honk will reveal any already discovered bodies, and you only need to use the FSS if for those that have not yet been discovered by someone else...?

Don't take what was seen in the Beta as what we'll see Live. In the 3rd week all the discoveries were wiped.......as they were in Beta 1, I had ships parked in Stations in Systems that the Galmap said I hadn't yet visited!!!

Not what but who discovered. Your scanner just tells you that *you* discovered new things. The fact that someone else found that before you is here irrelevant. All of this is tied to how exploration data and earning is done.

It goes like this. ED launched and CMDRs started to play. Every planet, star, moon or asteroid belt was "undiscovered". CMDRs started to fly and visit those places. And they got their own "discoveries". Bonus for being first pilot to discover given object and report it back.

Now, fast forward to today. Question: how you can perform exploration, as a new CMDR, when all bubble and every system around was already long discovered? You can't. So developers made this mechanic.

When you get into the system for the first time and scan it, you get *your* discovery. If you find system that is undiscovered by now, you get bonus of "discovered by" tag. This way you, as a new CMDR, can still "discover" places and earn money out of it.

There's second issue with "discovering" and earning money. By using that mechanic game tracks what you personally visited and scanned so you can't scan multiple times one system and claim credits for exploration data.

In short - treat galaxy as unexplored by you. The fact that given star/moon/planet already has a "discovered by" tag is irrelevant. It is *you* who discovered to for you.

You seem to understand these mysteries. Sometimes I enter a system for the first time and I dont need to discover anything. The system map is already complete. Why is that?

Top Bottom