Discovery Scanner - 11/07/2022

Keeping elite in VR at 90 fps with a decent resolution requires balance hehe.
Wish there was a quick easy way to get that sweetspot. I'm close but it drops over bases etc.
That's the nub. In space yup 90 fps.
So having to dial back to get it running at 90 fps over bases is just not possible without serious compromise as regards resolution ingame settings etc.
2 villains are ambient occlusion & fx quality.
Switched off runs better. But looks crap.
Combat and deep core mining expose the difference, eye candy yup but that's important in VR.
Which is a shame. Mine are both on medium but I've a good gpu.
Hmd 1.0, SS 1.0 steam slider 140% atm. Seems stable cept at bases which I've given up on. My goal is 90fps in space that's achievable in VR.

I dunno how many VR players ED has left, but I don't think VR in general is dead.
VR, in general, appears to be thriving, if the number of untethered HMDs sold by Meta, along with those that are due to arrive, is anything to go by. But the standalone devices are little more than mobile phone processors and the (good) tethered devices require a reasonable PC to achieve their best. Up until recently the price of GPUs had been elevated, probably by Crypto miners, with the collapse of Crypto prices have fallen.

EDO is seriously unoptimised and, I'd guess, isn't likely to receive any massive speed bump in the future (although I'd love to be proven wrong in saying that!) to bring it along the same lines of performance of EDH, meaning that better hardware (and yes, from the posts made by @Morbad , CPU / memory performance is one of the failings of EDO) is going to be required to play the game reasonably.

I have both Index and Quest II, driven by R9 5900x / 6900XT / DDR4 4000 and G4 NVMe drives and a heap of SSD drives, a reasonable PC, only challenged particularly by EDO and SC (SC makes EDO look as well optimised as HL: Alyx, but it is only alpha and for us to 'test', not play), but I can play EDO in VR 90Hz mostly Ultra in a satisfactory manner. What I don't attempt to do is play EDO with settings that require 120% performance from my kit, then complain it is tat...

I spend alot of time white knighting myself defending this game. That's why I said l appreciate it.
Not meant as an insult. More a compliment
I'd commented solely on how my own PC performed, not on how well EDO does - EDO is, even over a year after release and many 'fixes', still seriously under-performing, and I've never pretended otherwise. (I still think it is great fun, which annoys the heck out of some others here :devilish: ) so hardly wear the title of 'white knight'.

I have a reasonable PC specification, don't try to run it flat out - particularly with how warm the UK has been recently! - and accept that some games are far better optimised than EDH / EDO (EDH isn't fantastic either - but shames EDO in optimisation) and, for the forseeable future, if I wish to play in VR compromises have to be made in comparison.

Yes, you do obviously have fun with EDO, which is good - I did post my VR settings in another thread, I'll see if I can find them and link for you. (and me - a 'clean install' of W10 / 11 in the last week means I have to set things up again, so can't post the 'optimum' today.)

Elite needs love. Content to fill voids in the black. Content to challenge ax pilots.
Exploratory lacklustre such a crime!.
Odyssey is lost. It don't even run right even after 12.5 patches.
More piracy smuggling Eva etc etc the list of possibilities is almost limitless.
And yet... is it me or is the light on but knowones home, so to speak.
Just uninspired drab solo 90% of the time. What's happened to wings groups chit chat shinratra letterbox blockers etc..even gankers are a rare breed now. Fly through deciat pretty much unmolested in open....2 years ago that was a death sentence.
Things have changed and Odyssey changed it. Along with announcements of termination of VR Mac Consoles....
But here we all are. Playing still the best VR game in the world.
Frontier if your listening that's high praise indeed.
Now run with it....

o7

Top Bottom