Discovery Scanner [Weekly Update] - 11/04/2022

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.

Zac Cocken

Junior Product Manager
Frontier
Greetings Commanders!

I'm back after a week's break so apologies if I'm a little slow to get caught up today! Let's dig into some Elite Dangerous community news.

Community Goals
After a busy week recently with multiple possible community goals, the galaxy is taking a slight breather over the past week! Let's take the opportunity to recognise those Commanders once again who were the top contributors to the most recent CG's:

Community Goal Top Contributors.png

I think it's fair to say that Commander Namix is a strong advocate of Salvation, appearing in both lists! Congratulations to all those involved, I'm sure Salvation is most pleased with your efforts.

Now that we've had a recent mining CG, I'm interested to know your ship and outfitting of choice during the event! Any unusual builds on display or was it the tried and tested miners like the Python and Cutter out there last week?

Frameshift Live
Don't forget to tune into Frameshift Live on Twitch this week at 15:00 UTC for your next chance to earn the brand new Spring Lax and Calm paintjobs for the Diamondback Explorer!

Community Event Calendar Spotlight: The Wiccan BeWare Race
It's almost time for the kick-off of the next Buckyball race! Make sure to get all the details of the Wiccan BeWare Race re-run here before it kicks off in the coming weeks! This is a re-run of a race from back in 3305, but with a twist! Expect more excitement and danger as you battle it out with your fellow Commanders to post the best time.

1649671691215.png

Commander Creations

We're loving this real-life cockpit display from Ed Hanley! A great 3D print and paint of a good old fashioned Brain Tree.

LegoMiners.jpg

Ah, Elite LEGO, you never fail to amaze me. This effort from Qwinter131 on Reddit groups together some of the hauling ships into a neat LEGO collection, with beautiful detail.

---

That's all for this week, I'm interested in hearing your mining ship choices below!

o7

Welcome back Zac.

Just a quick update for anyone interested in the Buckyball race - the forum thread for the event explaining the race in detail just got posted this morning.

I'll submit a request to get the link (and also the banner which has the wrong dates) in the community event calendar updated asap

Last edited:
Thanks Zac and welcome back :)

We're now in the second week of April, with little idea of how the game is being developed in 2022 (past Update 11 and a cheeky nod towards Update 12). Please can you tell us why the Monthly Dev Update reports and Top 20 Issues reports haven't resumed (after they stopped late last year), and when you expect them to resume again?

With the devteam working on the live service game, isn't there interesting information to share about their progress on improvements, resolving issues, and bug fixes?

Cheers for the weekly posts and livestreams too (y)

I have to admit that I love the spring paintjobs.

I have changed my long range DBX from its long time yellow to a new flowery one, and it is as if I could smell lavender everytime I land on a planet and disembark!

We're now in the second week of April, with little idea of how the game is being developed in 2022 (past Update 11 and a cheeky nod towards Update 12). Please can you tell us why the Monthly Dev Update reports and Top 20 Issues reports haven't resumed (after they stopped late last year), and when you expect them to resume again?

With the devteam working on the live service game, isn't there interesting information to share about their progress on improvements, resolving issues, and bug fixes?

I second this. Would be great to hear about some of the improvements you guys have been working on. I'm not talking about spoiling new content at all, just how fixes for long standing issues and balancing endeavours (engineering) are coming along.

Yeah he could just repeat what Arthur allready said in the first live stream... again...

I miss having more technical information about the updates on what the devs are working on.... Both the livestream and the weekly update aren't telling anything about it.

What about update 12 ?
The engineering rework ?
The anti-aliasing bugfix ?

@Bruce G @Zac Cocken You started talking about the last 2 subjects last year but no news. Is it still being worked on ?

Last edited:
I miss having more technical information about the updates or what the devs are working on.... Both the livestream and the weekly update aren't telling anything about it.

What about update 12 ?
The engineering rework ?
The anti-aliasing bugfix ?

@Bruce G @Zac Cocken You started talking about the last 2 subjects last year but no news. Is it still being worked on ?
Yep first live stream back said spoilers are over with for EDO and EDO critical updates are over... and EDO spoliers is all they have left now..

Yeah he could just repeat what Arthur allready said in the first live stream... again...
Yep first live stream back said spoilers are over with for EDO and EDO critical updates are over... and EDO spoliers is all they have left now..
I don't recall Arf saying in the first 2022 livestream that development on Elite had stopped completely, that they didn't want to communicate what the devs are up to (i.e. improvements, resolving of issues, bug fixes), nor how the top-voted items on Issue Tracker are being looked at.

If you could kindly provide a timestamp that'd be very helpful :)

After all, we know the devteam are working on the Horizons/Odyssey codebase merge, and methods of transferring console CMDRs' accounts to PC. Supplemental improvements, resolving of issues, bug fixes, etc, would be great to hear about during the interim.

I could be wrong but I strongly suspect one of the reasons we're not getting the issue tracker top-20 review any more is because it's become rather awkward since (somewhat inevitably) those top 20 issues have now been distilled down to things that FD may be reluctant to address since they're either big, difficult or not really considered important enough to warrant their time.

If I may be so bold, I imagine an "honest" top-20 breakdown would go something like this.

Tiling Planetary Featurestoo difficult to fix/change and we're reluctant to alter the planet tech again now anyway
Anti Aliasing Not Working Correctlyquite a lot of work and unlikely to be a vast improvement on what we have already
Exiting the Game just hangs, need to force terminatewe've tried and failed to completely eradicate this - no longer interested in spending more time on it
joystick buttons 32+ not workingnot that interested in spending time on this, surely 32 is enough for most people anyway?
Expose telemetry data for motion simulatorshard to believe this is seriously bothering that many people
My super cruise will not work. It gets stuck at 0 time and I can see the blue tunnel forming"Braben tunnels" are an inherent consequence of our p2p instancing architecture, no longer frequent enough to warrant further effort
The game have FPS drops and lags a lot, even crashes, when I get close to a settlementreally difficult to fix, we're hoping this problem wil go away once everyone upgrades their hardware
Navlock still broken, and everyone has brackets now with update 10only seems to bother the fuel rats so, yeah, whatever
Illumination of background planets is tied to illumination of player ship by the illuminating startoo difficult to fix, it's good enough
BGS tick is still pretty inconsistent and not happening everywhere at the same timethis is tied to maintaining two galaxies for PC/console, we're trying hard to cull the latter
Broken Stellar Lightingsee illumination
System map. List of what facilities/services available missing, only shows disabled serviceswe might actually be able to fix this
Fighter XG9 Lance - ammo issue, only one shot avaliableditto
System and Galaxy map misalignment in widescreen aspect ratios (21:9)we've had a quick look, seems like a lot of work for a small minority of players
Planets and Moons orbit lines not visible in the FSS when in VRwe're no longer supporting VR
Incorrect brightness/contrast adjustment depending on angle between camera, ship and starsee illumination (note to self - must fix duplicates in issue tracker)
Low FPS coincides with low GPU/CPU utilizationsee FPS drops above - also, we hate jnTracks and his gang of Thargoid lovin' hillbillys
No option to change the carrier Layout from purchased Layout to Defaulthurrah - now this one we've fixed!
Discovered systems show validatingif we can migrate Cmdr Validating over to PC then this issue will go away
Black markets not opening correctly under Civil Unrestyeah OK, we might take a look at this one too

Last edited:
Wait, we know what?

Well, they said they're working on evaluating and improving the transfer procedures.
Both on Twitter and in emails sent from support to the people that have opened support tickets for account migration

So i guess it's just fair to say that we do Know.

Codebase merge? Not so sure, DBOBE said they're focusing on a single codebase (EDO) but nothing about codebase merging - which remains at scarecrow status

Welcome back Zac.

Any chance of confirmation whether the changes behaviour of Guardian obelisks since update 11 is intended?

Or even better, given that it’s been spotted and being talked about, maybe a Galnet article about it? An ‘Independent cmdr report’ type thing, maybe. 🙂

Also, thirded on what @StuartGT said.

And a thought from me - isn’t there a bit more to say about Thursday’s Frameshift Live? It might just be me but it seems a bit tawdry for it to be reduced in the description to it just being about twitchdrops. A minor point, maybe, but not the best for the overall tone of the update.

Edit - also slightly surprised there’s no update in the update on the things that people are obviously going to ask for an update on, even if it’s just the same holding statement as before. But hey ho. 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:
Is there any update on when the beacons containing the top contributor names mentioned after the Colonia Bridge wrapped up will be in-game? Been checking Alcor the past few weeks and the beacons aren't there.

This one came as a big surprise to me. If they've been planning it for a year, how come I don't know about it? Was there never an official announcement here on the forum about this code merge (that's what we're talking about, isn't it?) and I can't imagine it was only talked about in livestreams.

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom