Disembark at Engineer's base - Why??

Landed at an engineers base and saw a Disembark option. Ooh, exciting! Gave it a try, full of expectaions about finally seeing behind the curtain, visitng said Engineer's workshop and who knows what other possiblilities that lay in wait for me.

Made the now-familiar tedious trudge across the hangar bay floor to see nothing more than said Engineer hanging about in a little room off to the side of the lobby.

Huh. Never mind, I'm sure she'll have some scintillating conversation, well worth getting out of my ship for.

Nope. Exact same menu I could access whilst sat in my ship, minus all the other menus such as Repair and Outfitting etc. Tell me, what is the point of this?

I was never one of the Space Legs crowd but did hope that Odyssey would provide a little something for everyone. So far all it's done is point out how tragically dull the game I've been enjoying a love/meh/hate relationship with for the last seven years actually is.

More fool me.

Last edited:
Landed at an engineers base and saw a Disembark option. Ooh, exciting! Gave it a try, full of expectaions about finally seeing behind the curtain, visitng said Engineer's workshop and who knows what other possiblilities that lay in wait for me.

Made the now-familiar tedious trudge across the hangar bay floor to see said Engineer hanging about in a little room off to the side of the lobby.

Huh. Never mind, I'm sure she'll have some scintillating conversation, well worth getting out of my ship for.

Nope. Exact same menu I could access whilst sat in my ship, minus all the other menus such as Repair and Outfitting etc. Tell me, what is the point of this?

I was never one of the Space Legs crowd but did hope that Odyssey would provide a little something for everyone. So far all it's done is point out how tragically dull the game I've been enjoying a love/meh/hate relationship with for the last seven years actually is.

More fool me.
Do you get more options if you walk into Pizza hut or order on the app?

We can only hope it's a placeholder for something that'll be added later, however this was one of the arguments against ship interiors as well. Adding something that can be done just as effectively from the cockpit seems silly, so something else needs to be added as far as gameplay is concerned to make it worthwhile. Seems like wasted Dev time otherwise as we'll all ignore it after the first couple of goes.

Do you get more options if you walk into Pizza hut or order on the app?
Not sure what point you're trying to make there. the point I was trying to make is: what's the point of all that extra coding for something you can access from your ship anyway? Thankfully this isn't actually real life. Pizza Hut have made it so that you don't have to walk into one of their branches in order to enjoy one of their bland pizzas. Frontier appear to have offered the exact opposite option.

Last edited:
what's the point of all that extra coding for something you can access from your ship anyway?
Obviously placeholder. It's a trademark FD move... they've been doing it for years.

CZs and USSs were always considered placeholders until more engaging content came along. They've updated stuff like that over the years to give a little depth but not much has changed. They almost certainly have plans for on-foot engineer stations but it'll probably get shuffled back in priority over time.

It's almost like they didn't want to let their artists go wild creating awesome animations of engineers modifying ship parts with future tech machines, that you can prod and poke, much to the chagrin of the engineers (once the writers were let off the leash) - and they couldn't possibly let their mission designers create a unique mission for each engineer that tells you something about their personality...

Nevermind eh.

Yeah. It's like "Hi guys, I want some work done on a couple of modules, can you tell me where I can find the CEO of your galactically renowned establishment?", "yeah he's just down the hall watching tiktok in his room". Just keep them behind the curtain please.

Never mind, I'm sure she'll have some scintillating conversation, well worth getting out of my ship for.
I agree that it is a bit dull, but at least the new personal equipment engineers have a little chat with you, as well as some audio narrative to the various engineering features. I think this is a nice touch, although perhaps not worth getting out of your ship for.

Let's be honest, it was slapped in as an afterthought so players couldn't say "I wanna go see my fave engineer face to face, why make the new ones and not the old ones!!!!

Deleted member 110222

D
I mean, it's tricky.

We did have a hoard of players demanding that they be able to play Odyssey without ever leaving their ship, because "FPS bad", but also be at no disadvantage against those who do leave their ship.

If you ask me, community only got exactly what it asked for here.

I'd love to see the focus group they used to put this DLC together.
Even if it had come out perfect (no bugs or performance / lighting issues), did they think this would invigorate the product, that 10 min long boring ship rides to a firefight (repeatable if you died) would entice new FPS players into the game?
I was gobsmacked when I met my first engineer face to face and the words minimum viable product floated thru' my brain - at least you could'a given him an office, seated behind a desk looking at and interacting with a floating touch screen.

I'd love to see the focus group they used to put this DLC together.
Even if it had come out perfect (no bugs or performance / lighting issues), did they think this would invigorate the product, that 10 min long boring ship rides to a firefight (repeatable if you died) would entice new FPS players into the game?
I was gobsmacked when I met my first engineer face to face and the words minimum viable product floated thru' my brain - at least you could'a given him an office, seated behind a desk looking at and interacting with a floating touch screen.
That would have been pants too.

Really was expecting a whole workshop with multiple ships, and automated bots removing parts and welding stuff, chunks of (insert engineer speciality modules) lying around half gutted, prototype modded weapons on stands firing at targets.

Well, actually, I wasn't expecting that because I know better after 7 years but, that's what I would have expected.

(Also piles of -insert engineer unlock item- lying around)

The Horizons engineers aren't the same as Odyssey only engineers though, Odyssey only engineers have much larger bases. It's minimum viable product I suspect because they didn't want to create extra issues at bases where both Odyssey and Horizon players land. Essentially they have just added an area the size of the lift access ante-room in Odyssey because that's the space size that was added to all bases to accommodate the lifts used by Odyssey players.

Top Bottom