Distant Worlds 3 ???

Definitely interested in a DW3, I just finished engineering the FSD on my next exploration vessel. Could still stand to engineer a few other modules for reduced mass. Wouldn't mind joining a shorter trip to tide me over in the mean time.

What kind of exploration content are you wanting with Odyssey?

Odyssey is bringing with it a revamp of planetary surfaces, so that's a big positive. But the devs haven't given anyone a hint of what's planned beyond bubble-centric gameplay and FPS.

At the end of DW2 we posted a brief speculative list of ideas that focus on gameplay beyond the bubble, hopefully content that could come to Elite in future (whether that's during the Odyssey season, or some other expansion further down the line).

So anything along the lines posted there would be welcome...

Link: DW3 Speculation - some ideas.

Last edited:
Odyssey is bringing with it a revamp of planetary surfaces, so that's a big positive. But the devs haven't given anyone a hint of what's planned beyond bubble-centric gameplay and FPS.

At the end of DW2 we posted a brief speculative list of ideas that focus on gameplay beyond the bubble, hopefully content that could come to Elite in future (whether that's during the Odyssey season, or some other expansion further down the line).

So anything along the lines posted there would be welcome...

Link: DW3 Speculation - some ideas.
We know there is a bio scanner with plant life to be scanned. What that involves though, I don't know. Hopefully there will be a lot more different POIs too.

Just found this thread and would be well up for DW3!
(I was on DW2 but fell out shortly after reaching Sagittarius A due to moving house and other priorities. Was sad I never got to finish it as it was - and still is - the best community/collaborative ED event I'd ever participated in.)

Just found this thread and would be well up for DW3!
(I was on DW2 but fell out shortly after reaching Sagittarius A due to moving house and other priorities. Was sad I never got to finish it as it was - and still is - the best community/collaborative ED event I'd ever participated in.)
If there is a Distant Worlds 3, it will surely be absolutely incredible.

I just hope that:

1 - FD adds some way of setting and sharing waypoints / planetary bookmarks until then.
2 - The travelling pace is a little slower than previous editions, as there will be more stuff to do planetside now and it will be very hard to keep up this time if you're busy during the day.

The travelling pace is a little slower than previous editions, as there will be more stuff to do planetside now and it will be very hard to keep up this time if you're busy during the day.
^^^
This. I hated having to choose between investigating interesting planetary surfaces, and trying to reach Beagle Point in a timely manner.

Still haven't quite reached Colonia on my way back. Granted, after reaching Beagle Point, I took time off for Space Engineers, Empyrion: Galactic Survival, more Space Engineers, Cyberpunk 2077, more Empyrion: Galactic Survival, and even more Space Engineers... but I also took time off to visit quite a few planetary surfaces, and those were just geological sites! Not to mention stopping by all the DSSA carriers along the way!

Its sad to see the DW3 scouting postponed, but understandable with the state things are at the moment. Will you guys reconsider this later in the year if FD get the update stable?

EDIT. So I've just seen the roadmap for Odyssey and its not good. It looks like the rest of this year will be a beta test. I guess that answers my question about the scouting event.

See you all in 2022 👋

Last edited:
Its sad to see the DW3 scouting postponed, but understandable with the state things are at the moment. Will you guys reconsider this later in the year if FD get the update stable?

EDIT. So I've just seen the roadmap for Odyssey and its not good. It looks like the rest of this year will be a beta test. I guess that answers my question about the scouting event.

See you all in 2022 👋
This is posted on the expedition server. From what I gather its the planning of dw3 that's on hold indefinitely since they can't plan for anything until the odyssey comes out of testing/beta for pc's and consoles, especially planet surfaces.

dw scout.jpg

I missed dw2 and read about it in the magazine of all places, That's what piqued my interest in this game. I'll be ready for the next one :)

I'd been playing about 8 months when I took the plunge and joined the fleet for DW2. It was phenomenal and my single most enjoyed gaming experience in more than 35 years of playing. I almost went space-mad getting home along the Sag-Carina arm, but have since returned to many of the sites (including Beagle Point again) and enjoyed them all over again with a nostalgic smile. I'd be at the front of the queue to sign up for DW3 and would be happy to help in any small way to bring it to fruition.
Fingers crossed the improvements in Odyssey we've seen so far continue to gather pace and impact...

Since I have my ship around SagA right now, my experience flying around in star-dense areas isn't that great in Odyssey. The galmap is locking up for me everytime trying to map routes. Essentially, Odyssey isn't ready for deep space exploration.

The post was updated by the organisers a while ago. Looks like nothing will be happening this year. :cry:

There's nothing new to report on the matter. Ody isn't out on all platforms, isn't fully fixed from release yet (though admittedly it's in a better state), and there's no new major exploration gameplay that won't be identical to what you find near the bubble.

Until at the very least Ody is out on console, there is 0 possibility for a positive update.

Just wanted to say that I'm so glad I got the chance to be a part of, and to complete the Distant World 2 expedition! With thousands of commanders traveling together towards the same goals and locations it surely was one of the best times I've ever had in Elite. That said, I fully respect the decision that has been made about a future DW3, but my hope is of course that (sooner or later) we will have the chance to be a part of a great community experience like this sometime in the years to come!

And once again I would like to say a big thank you to Erimus, Qohen and all the other organizers involved that made DW2 possible!

Yes, it surely was the best of times!

o7

Top Bottom