Do certain ships get scanned more than others?

I often get scanned in a Conda when leaving a planetary base with secretive PAX but hardly ever in a Beluga leaving the same base.

I seem to remember FDev saying certain ships are scanned more than others but can't find any details about it.

Yes, I recall something about a hidden variable that causes some ships to be less likely to be scanned. I don't have a source though, I just remember it from somewhere.

I did find this link that seems to verify it.

Ah I found it, a quote from Sandro (the lead dev at the time):

👆Good find!👆

It’s also worth noting that a ship’s heat signature may influence how likely it is to be scanned by NPCs.

Basically, the hotter your ship, the further away it can be target locked. So if your Anaconda runs significantly hotter than your Beluga, then NPCs will have more time to spot the Anaconda and scan it before it enters or leaves a station.

You can read more about that here:

Last edited:

Thanks! So Sandro confirmed that some ships are more likely to be scanned than others but without testing, no way to know what those variables might be other than the type of ship. Rep with the controlling faction? Combat rating? Something else?

I saw one comment that their Beluga never gets scanned.

Being allied seems to reduce the chance to get scanned but I don't know if there is evidence for that, or if it's anecdotal

Being allied seems to reduce the chance to get scanned but I don't know if there is evidence for that, or if it's anecdotal

While I was running jobs for the Feds in sothis/ceos I never got scanned once, after hitting Allied.

This does not apply to interdiction related scraps though, or anything away from the stations.

Same applied to Robigo runs, as I'm allied with Sirius Corp.

Whether it never happens is a different matter, but it seems on the near never side.

I was in both places for hours on end.

Deleted member 110222

D
Fly a Cobra Mk III and you'll get excited when you do get scanned.

Fly a Cobra Mk III and you'll get excited when you do get scanned.

Yeah I've been resetting a couple of my accounts and trying out different roles I didn't play much before. Cobra was and still is one of my favorite ships and great for smuggling. Sure would be nice if they buffed the sale of illegal goods though. A 25% hit on selling price with the added risk of smuggling makes no sense.

Deleted member 110222

D
Yeah I've been resetting a couple of my accounts and trying out different roles I didn't play much before. Cobra was and still is one of my favorite ships and great for smuggling. Sure would be nice if they buffed the sale of illegal goods though. A 25% hit on selling price with the added risk of smuggling makes no sense.
That's why i smuggle. I make less.

The color of your ship.
Red
System authority loves to scan red ships, they can't help themselves.
Personally I'm tired of being pulled over and asked. "You know how fast you where going?"
Just avoid painting your ship red, should solve the issue.

This comment was made in jest, do not literately assume the color of your ship is a factor in scan frequency.

The color of your ship.
Red
System authority loves to scan red ships, they can't help themselves.
Personally I'm tired of being pulled over and asked. "You know how fast you where going?"
Just avoid painting your ship red, should solve the issue.

This comment was made in jest, do not literately assume the color of your ship is a factor in scan frequency.

On that other thread there was so much discussion about a poor paint job being a trigger for scanning, I almost thought they were serious. Sure would suck for those long range PAX missions.

While I was running jobs for the Feds in sothis/ceos I never got scanned once, after hitting Allied.

This does not apply to interdiction related scraps though, or anything away from the stations.

Same applied to Robigo runs, as I'm allied with Sirius Corp.

Whether it never happens is a different matter, but it seems on the near never side.

I was in both places for hours on end.

The same goes for me around my home area. Almost never get scanned there - they clearly know how much of an upstanding citizen I am!!

Joking aside though, it does seem to hold true.

I guess another point worth mentioning is the speed of your ship, but this is almost an 'obvious' point really. Plus, it doesn't apply so much in the OP, as both ships were large if I remember right. I've never flown a beluga though, so I don't know its relative speed?

It's not the same discussion, but something I do find tedious, is military interdictions. Then the fact that they don't scan you, but simply turn and leave, just seems like the game griefing people for no reason at all, not even a vague effort at RP. Still, the relationship here is tenuous, I just get fed up with it.

The state of your paint will also attract attention. Fly in a rusty old bucket and the police get interested.

Is this true? As in how worn it is? I'm just curious. I know if you have 'go faster stripes' you get scanned more often, but I always wondered whether degradation has an effect.

Is this true? As in how worn it is? I'm just curious. I know if you have 'go faster stripes' you get scanned more often, but I always wondered whether degradation has an effect.

I think it was Sandro again who mentioned this in a livestream. I've always been aware of security anyway (being er....less than lawful) but all my ships have 'rustic charm'.

It was from ages ago, and it could have been changed mind. So much has been broken / omitted / salted to death its hard to know these days.

Very true. I imagine it would stay though, especially if they haven't acknowledged its truth or not. It does make sense though thinking about it :)

Very true. I imagine it would stay though, especially if they haven't acknowledged its truth or not. It does make sense though thinking about it :)

Its a bit like what your parents always told you: keep your sensible car clean and rust free, keep up to date with servicing and the police won't spot check you as much.

Top Bottom