Do you ever do play-throughs?

As above - do you ever play a game, complete it, and then go again? - perhaps on the higher difficulty level.

I think I can count on the fingers of one hand the number of games I've played after completing them. A few where there is additional content after completing it on one difficulty level. But I'm often bored by the time I finish a game, and the last thing I'm going to do is start it all again now that I've seen it all! Most of the fun for me comes from seeing new parts of the game. Once it's complete, that's it.

I just don't find them as much fun the second time around.

edited: Me Grammar, Speling and, punctuation.

Yes there are a couple games I play more then once.
I've played Kingdoms of Amalur several times, as Warrior or Mage etc. simply because the different combat styles are fun.
There are others too, just because they're fun.

I can't think of any game I haven't played multiple times.
As Dutchman said, so many professions, skill sets to change the whole game.
Play as an all out killer, a non lethal game or as a ghost going thru the game where you are never seen.
One play thru just doesn't get it.

Some games have near infinite replayability. The original Master of Orion for example.
Some games I replay because they have several ways of completing them and years later because of sentimental value. Like Maniac Mansion, AD&D 'Gold box' games etc.

There are some games I've enjoyed that I'm done with after one time through...oddly enough, most looters fall into this category for me.

There are also plenty of other games, usually more sandbox or open world types, where I can play through several times. However, there are a handful of very linear games I've replayed. I see new parts of the game by doing things differently or better, trying new things, or using different characters.

The Civilisation series I play and replay constantly... on different difficulty levels & with different 'victory' aims.

I presume you mean games that have a scripted story that you have to wade through.

There are very few games I actually play to 'completion' before I get bored / stuck and want to play something else. I'm a gaming butterfly. ;)

Chuckie Egg in 1984, found a cheat that made it 2x faster and only had 10 levels so played that again and again. Elite in 1984 restarted many times as challenge had worn off in late game and were only 2 missions on my BBC version..

Since then, no, never played more than one playthrough, usually have that in mind and start the game on hardest level possible where possible. Currently playing a game with Easy/Normal/Hard/Nightmare modes, play on Nightmare from the start and will not be playing it again even though there are multiple choices and 9 different endings, just not interested, once Ive seen the story that's it.

That's why I prefer ED, can do pretty much whatever I want whenever I want so no need to get bored, if I do Ill just play something else for a while.

As above - do you ever play a game, complete it, and then go again? - perhaps on the higher difficulty level.

I surely did it - especially with good old games.

Alien Legacy (1994) comes to mind - omg, when i first played that game i had knew nothing about it so the story felt really great, each crisis felt real. A real gem
Even it does't have much of a replay factor - i still played it several times trying to do better everytime. And i still feel the itch to give it a go...

Think i've redone the X-Wing campaigns several times. And i've replayed Baldur's Gate and Neverwinter Nights several times.
Same for Dark Sun: Shattered Lands.
Once in a while i give a spin to a Master of Magic game.
And I also played Blitzkrieg (2003) campaigns more than once

Most of the new tat, certainly not, but there are a few games ...with definitive endings as opposed to MMO's, RPG's and the like that I usually play...that have infinite replayability or worth going around again for a looksee. In some cases simply adding available DLC or mods from the Nexus will give most games a reboot if nothing else.

Sometimes, it depends on the game. If it was fun I might go again or if there were alternative choices/ play styles I might try those. Then again there are several games that I never got around to completing and sometimes restart because I took a long break and find myself completely lost (probably not even remembering the controls), so I need the earlier sections just to get to grips with the game again.

Katana zero and hollow knight.

Katana zero especially, 6 or 7 times through that. Did hardmode once. Died 1,078 times normal game i can get through and only die ~30 times.

Linear story games where story is the main focus (like Life is Strange, Journey, recently Spirit of the North, Cloudpunk and Hyperdimension Neptunia) I tend to only play once. Because once the story is "spoiled" they have little value in terms of gameplay even though the story itself is great. Just like I don't usually re-watch movies.
Games that are story based but offer a fun gameplay (like Mass Effect, Borderlands, Tomb Raider, AC games and recently Fallen Order...) I tend to play over and over until I get burned out. :D Depending on how much I like the story, of course.
I agree with optimal_909 - stories that are too sad or depressing I usually don't replay ever. I don't like sad stories, even though they are usually the best ones but knowing an ending to a sad story is highly discouraging when comes to re-playing it.

Then there are games that are based more on gameplay and mechanics than a story (MMOs like SWTOR or TESO, big RPGs like DA:I or recently GR: Breakpoint (after it's been patched and expanded, it's really great fun) and to those, depending on how I like them, I return to whenever I feel like it, even if to play just a little bit, but I don't usually play them through again at once.

There are not many games I truly like, but those that I do I play them for a huge amount of time, so yes I do a lot of playthroughs. Also the kinds of games I like the most usually are either very long, or have very high replayability value. I look at short games as a waste of money.

Three games I can think of, Homeworld, TW and HLife.

I don't count Skyrim, which I still play, due to it being a non-linear SP.

I played through two of the old MechWarrior games, Mercenaries and Black Knight at least a couple of times each (iirc - long time ago). I'm sure I played through a few others but I am not sure the old military strategy games count; those were more like campaigns (and there are too many to list here). GL HF

Certainly. Some (generally open-world games) are well worth revisiting. I'm thinking here of particularly STALKER Shadow of Chernobyl where the a-life is absolutely excellent, and it's a game that even now gives me genuine scares as I navigate the underground section.

Far Cry also is worth a mention, depite the fixed and seemingly interminable 'set scenes', esp. in #5. Crikey they are tedious second time through.

Top Bottom