Do you want ED 2 or an Expansion?

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Do you want Fdev to make ED 2 or another expansion for ED 1?

ED is almost 10 years old and it has aged a lot. The graphics don't hold a candle to current gen space sims and space themed games. So it would be best for Fdev to keep the good features and learn from other space games for a sequel.

I guess this question counts as a poll & the thread might get closed but between those two straightforward choices I'd vote Expansion. I don't think there is much that's dated about the fundamentals of the game, and I think there's plenty more that could be added to flesh out the existing game for years to come if the playerbase remains.

Wasn't Odyssey described as a codebase rewrite to get rid of the spaghetti code anyway?

I'm long done with ED 1 (that includes future expansions), but if ED 2 were announced, I'd pay very close attention to it, just like I have been with Starfield. It would have to be a ground-up rebuild using a much better version of the Cobra Engine, however. One can (and I have) argue that Odyssey actually is ED 2, but it's built on an old old graphics engine that just isn't cutting it.

BUT, and this is a huge BUT, I wouldn't want some radically different game that feels totally other than the earlier ED that I fell in love with. A perfect example comes to mind of what I'd like, and that example is Dragon's Dogma 2. It's a new game offering much improved graphics and AI, but it's still Dragon's Dogma at its core, keeping (and improving) everything I love about the original game. Had DD2 thrown away everything that made DD unique and instead cloned Skyrim or BG, I would not be interested in it at all. But since it's true to its origin, but only way better, I am absolutely hyped, ready to throw my money at it as soon as Steam gives me a buy button!

Where DD2 falls apart as an example of what ED2 could be is that DD2 gives us new lands and new stories. I'm not sure how ED2 would do this, since the entire galaxy is our "open world" already. Perhaps if ED2 were set in a post-apocalyptic future where the Thargoids destroyed 90% of the Bubble, leaving only ruined cities and outposts throughout the current inhabited space, with the exception of perhaps a dozen core worlds that are much more fully realized (like Starfield), that would likely catch my attention and get me excited. Another option might be starting in an entirely different galaxy, where instead of a massive pre-existing Bubble, our goal is to establish colonies and slowly build a new Bubble over time via trade, mining, combat, etc. In other words, the game world of ED2 can't just be a copy-n-paste of ED1, at least not to excite me. I'd much rather have a substantially smaller "Bubble" with a whole lot more detail in each of the few inhabited systems than what ED1 currently gives us, which is thousands of inhabited systems that all feel samey and shallow.

Not that I'm expecting either outcome, TBH. Still, I like your question all the same!

ED is almost 10 years old and it has aged a lot. The graphics don't hold a candle to current gen space sims and space themed games. So it would be best for Fdev to keep the good features and learn from other space games for a sequel.
I don't want FD anywhere near anything to do with Elite.
If they managed to get a decent developer to have a bash then I'd prefer ED2.

Excuse me, what? lol.
"I don't want the company that created this game to have anything to do with the game they created, because imo they can't develop." is what I read from that.
And that's hilarious af.
One could argue that the company that created the game is not the same company (as in the actual people) that's currently managing the game. Though personally I think the problem is a double-edged sword, in that maintaining someone else's code who is now long gone is often much harder than maintaining your own code that you know inside and out, which is why I personally think an entirely new rewrite (using tried and true techniques of the original) would be better than to continue building on layers of old code. Someone struggling to work with the "old code" might actually write brilliant new code if given a chance.

I don't. I'm fine with game as is. What I would like - they fix their small bugs everywhere finally. And possible revert map's UI.

P.S. It is IMPOSSIBLE for technical reasons to have "next-gen-super-cool" graphics AND that big Space. Because both need compute resources (there is a slider there in settings to set balance you prefer). So there is no such a good computers yet to do those things both good at once. And that is the reason why they dropped consoles too. Just not enough of compute power there to keep 30 FPS and "make a grass".

Last edited:

Why does it have to be all about graphics? Is that the only thing that matters now?
Lots of indie games out there with worse graphics but are awesome games.

Papers please - indie game, single dev, ty graphics compared to other games yet its awesome.

If that's the case, expansion with graphics overhaul.

Its an interesting question , elite 2 complete rewrite with newer engine or expansion using the old engine ?? Both will have bugs.
Expansion would be easier if the old engine is flexible enough .
Elite 2 would take longer back to basics ( sort of thing ) and may not have all the elite stuff .
As long as the game is still there who cares

Neither?

I just want the extant mechanics to get used in more situations than just incidental, inconsequential use. No expanding, no sequels, just use what exists, because the core mechanics are horribly under used.

Thargoid war is doing a lot in this space... except for the bit where every mechanic needs a new AX variant.

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom