News Dove Enigma and the Enigma Expedition

Zac Antonaci

Head of Communications
Frontier
Greetings Commanders,

Many of you will be aware of the recent delivery of Unknown Artefacts to the Dove Enigma, a prominent charity and memorial megaship relating to the Enigma Expedition. For those who hadn’t heard, you can find out more about the Enigma Expedition here.

The team have spent their evening investigating the deliveries and they believe the use of a known exploit is possible. We take the use of exploits very seriously, and we will continue the investigation. Should there be evidence of any exploit in use, we will take appropriate action against any commanders found to be using them. The exploit believed to have been used here has already been fixed in the current 3.0 beta, and the fix should be making its way to the live game when the Beyond – Chapter One update goes live.

Many of you have asked why a black market existed on the megaship to begin with. As you know, the galaxy’s background simulation manages the states and services of stations based on the faction controlling it. Because all dockable megaships are subject to the changing tides of the galaxy sim, the memorial megaship’s owner meant the addition of a black market. However, we also understand that this event was a finish line for the Enigma Expedition and in hindsight we should have manually removed the black market for a limited time while the expedition took place. We would like to apologise to Commanders for the upset we’ve caused. As with all our in-game memorials and tributes, they are added with the very best intentions.

This evening we have been looking into whether to take steps to correct that mistake, but I’m pleased to say that won’t be necessary. Thanks to the great work of our incredible community.

The Dove Enigma is ‘Experiencing Technical Issues.’ This means interference from Thargoid Sensors has been detected and – if not countered – will result in the shutdown of some station services, but this will not happen. From our view of the galaxy we can see an overwhelming number of Commanders taking flight in one direction and with one purpose: to counter the shutdown.

With this staggering outpouring of support, we are confident that the shutdown will be averted as Commanders arrive. Lend them your support if you can, and take part in this new and unexpected chapter in the history of Elite Dangerous.

To the many Commanders that have come to the aid of the expedition as well as the hundreds of Commanders taking part in this expedition itself: thank you. Seeing the community come together to support their fellow commander and support such a good cause is amazing for all of us in the studio. We’re sorry for our oversight, and we thank you for taking to your cockpits.

Greetings Commanders,
This evening we have been looking into whether to take steps to correct that mistake, but I’m pleased to say that won’t be necessary. Thanks to the great work of our incredible community.

The Dove Enigma is ‘Experiencing Technical Issues.’ This means interference from Thargoid Sensors has been detected and – if not countered – will result in the shutdown of some station services, but this will not happen. From our view of the galaxy we can see an overwhelming number of Commanders taking flight in one direction and with one purpose: to counter the shutdown.

That was pretty touching to read. Thanks for the update.

Thank you Zac! o7

All i might add is that the effects would have been minimal regardless and therefore the whole action ultimately meaningless.

Sadly they did achieve their proclaimed goal of "creating a [...]storm" because we let them...

Cheers,
Grey o7

Last edited:
Thank you for the clarification.

We would like to apologise to Commanders for the upset we’ve caused. As with all our in-game memorials and tributes, they are added with the very best intentions.

I must disagree that it is necessary to apologise for this.

Sure, the "exploit" is a reality, as you say.

However the actions of players who would exploit under these circumstances is base, childish and disrespectful beyond belief.

As for being a memorial activity: This is not the first time that griefing has destroyed a memorial activity. I'll just reference the Walter Memorial CG as an example of a previous issue.

FD are not responsible for the disrespect so-called "gamers" exhibit; it's just a bunch of people with inadequate social skills and FD are not responsible for them.

Best wishes.

Thank you for the clarification.

We would like to apologise to Commanders for the upset we’ve caused. As with all our in-game memorials and tributes, they are added with the very best intentions.

I must disagree that it is necessary to apologise for this.

Sure, the "exploit" is a reality, as you say.

However the actions of players who would exploit under these circumstances is base, childish and disrespectful beyond belief.

As for being a memorial activity: This is not the first time that griefing has destroyed a memorial activity. I'll just reference the Walter Memorial CG as an example of a previous issue.

FD are not responsible for the disrespect so-called "gamers" exhibit; it's just a bunch of people with inadequate social skills and FD are not responsible for them.

Best wishes.

Additionally I'm in the beta but in the real game I'm in Colonia. I'll log into the real game today and see if I can help out.

o7!

Grateful that a quick and ongoing assessment of the situation is being made. Still, if the community support is not enough, please fix this act of griefing.

Top Bottom