Dropship is awesome.

If they make a federal vanguard ship, the 4th in the line of those triplets with a huge hardpoint or two, then I'll bite.

Meanwhile my FdL can manage 50-60 kills in a high-intensity CZ before running out of SCBs and heatsinks. Even when they do run out, all I have to do is fight more conservatively and let the shields regen on their own.

FDL is THE lamest ship in the game for this reason imo.

Most people who fly it pass up all the good, fun alternatives with unconventional loadouts because "they don't kill 100 ships per hour like my FDL does" or something.

I tried, really, I did, but the ONLY thing I found the FDS to be really good for is a mining ship.
It's tough enough to wipe out those arbitrary first-entry pirates, fits everything you need to mine, and holds an acceptable amount of cargo.
The Federal Mining Ship is great.
The FAS is.. well, it just kind of is. I used the heck out of it until I unlocked the Federal Gunship.
Now I run it like this: https://coriolis.edcd.io/outfit/fed...20404003cB1fr2bm75d2727.AwRj4yso.IwBj4z1Kg===.
There's some heavy duty Engineering involved, but it's just stupid entertaining. Easily one of the most entertaining things to fly, and if all that plasma hits at the same time the light show is amazing.

I can fight in Haz RES, CZ, or anywhere else I like until I've exhausted my plasmas, though I usually exhaust myself before that happens.

But when it comes to long-term CZ action, my Python is still king. I fight until my ammo is exhausted, my materials for sything reloads is exhausted, and I am exhausted, and I can just keep on going with it. 100-200 kills is taking it slow.

Last edited:
My rank isn't quite up to FGS yet, after grinding up to the cutter I promised myself no more excessive rank grinding. I'll get there naturally. I'm actually enjoying the FDS more than the FAS but I'm not a strictly combat pilot. I can't wait to try the FGS when the time comes. I'm a little different from most people, most adore the Python but after multiple attempts I just can't like it.

As I said, my shields will recharge on their own without SCBs, I just use them as insurance going up against Corvettes and Cutters. It's also cheaper to reload SCBs than it is to repair hull damage. On my Anaconda, the SCBs aren't even necessary, as the shields just don't drop. I guess what I'm trying to say is I'm still looking for a reasonable excuse to buy a FDS/AS/GS. Defense will never be that excuse, when compared to other ships in my fleet.

I guess the "cool" factor plays a major role also! It's always nice to fly something more rare than usual. + I've witnessed a full upgraded corvette get her kicked - as the rest of her anaconda wing - by a wing of FAS (or was it FGS?) and cutter. The corvette and his mates aimed for the shieldless federal ship. and it just could not do it. The hull fell very slowly over time, but better than that, the vette often lost her firing solution as it was running cool + chaffing his way to victory. In the end, the whole wing was destroyed and not a single loss on the other side. Elite is sometimes a bit like rock paper scissors I guess, and maybe a more hot running - shield ship would have caused less trouble to the team. [hotas]

Sturdy mods on Railguns in a silent shieldless FAS build is pretty evil :)

Less heat, more health to the Railgun mount and G3 onwards it adds additional armour pierce.

Well done! I've not used railguns in a while, never engineered them, maybe I should try them again with the changes!

FAS is an aimbot, pefrect for fixed weapons of all kinds! I really like this ship. I am thinking about getting myself a Gunship too for some time now. What I wonder is: does the Fighter Hangar is any good - except for trying it for the novelty of it?

edit: now I missed the topic becouse I didn't mention the dropship. Ah. Thought it's about the gunship. Never have been flying the dropship. Interesting choice of a ship - surely a very underestimated ship and a surprisce choice for any combat role imho.

Last edited:
Good ship, earned my way into a Python using it for mining. It's cheap, rank is not hard to get for it and has a decent amount of internals + military compartments, what's not to like.

I tend to try and stick on the enemy's tail and use chaff if they're using turrets and overpower them by shooting out their power plant before they can get enough hits in. I tend to go for high damage weapon configs such as 3 medium rails + 1 large PA or my more casual config:
2 rapid fire medium pulses,
1 large rapid fire phasing pulse
and 1 large corrosive multi

Cutrently working on getting all the pulse lasers to G5 rapid fire and all with phasing sequence - now that FD has shown mercy on our souls with the horrendous levels of RNGineer grind \o/

It's when taking on wings of NPCs that things get a little hairy but I rarely have to take hits to my hull as long as I still have chaff and an SCB.

What's the heat and distributor draw like with the Rapid Fire pulses? I tried them on my vulture and they just weren't workable so I went back to Efficient...

What's the heat and distributor draw like with the Rapid Fire pulses? I tried them on my vulture and they just weren't workable so I went back to Efficient...
It's pretty good. No significant heat increase and distributor draw is managable. I have a grade 3 charge enhanced power distributor and with 4 pips to weapons I can pretty much fire as long as I want.

Gunship is Funship.

Never liked the Brick of Self-Sacrifice that is the dropship myself. It's speed range just doesn't jive with me in fights. A Gunship with grade 5 dirty drives is heavenly though.

Gunship is Funship. Everyone wants to fly the Funship.

X2 Small Beams
X1 Large Beam
X4 Pack Launchers

The sight of 16 missiles per salvo is NIIICE.

Federuu Driftuu Shipuu.

It's great. I am a bit of a scrublord using FA-OFF with that bad boy but I can see why it's pretty great. Using the drift you can match velocity which keeps thruster use down freeing up more power elsewhere.

I love mine. It takes an utter thrashing but a combo of HRM and MRM makes it delicious fun. FDL is like a Lamborghini. It's mad as a snake and wants to kill you. Boom and zoom. FDS is like a Nissan GTR; only ever at its best going sideways at Mark 12.

In the right hands (not mine) it's an utter demon. Ask CMDR RINZLER o7 o7 o7.

At some point I'll be less of a scrub lord and it'll be even more fun to fly. Always good to have goals, I feel. Mastering FDS is mine.

Fed ships have the worst stats. Being forced to rely on tanking is like being a boxer who specializes at being punched in the face. Hard to get excited about a punch drunk ship design.

Fed ships have the worst stats. Being forced to rely on tanking is like being a boxer who specializes at being punched in the face. Hard to get excited about a punch drunk ship design.

Ever heard of drunken boxing? Same thing. Besides it's a fed ship, they are designed by a committee at Core Dynamics. No style. No class. I mean look at it! ;)

That said, it's stupidly good fun to fly. And it doesn't even burst into flames for no reason when you boost or jump which is a new and exciting development for Core Dynamics to be fair.

If only the developers of the Beluga could have figured out how not to have rampant fires break out every time you jump.

Ahh well.

My only gripe about the Gunship is that it is sluggish so the worst opponent would be one who knows how to stay on my tail.

Thankfully the NPC's are not very tactical.

Ever heard of drunken boxing? Same thing. Besides it's a fed ship, they are designed by a committee at Core Dynamics. No style. No class. I mean look at it! ;)

That said, it's stupidly good fun to fly. And it doesn't even burst into flames for no reason when you boost or jump which is a new and exciting development for Core Dynamics to be fair.

If only the developers of the Beluga could have figured out how not to have rampant fires break out every time you jump.

Ahh well.

I've heard of drunken style Kung Fu (Chinese boxing). Not sure I'd put the DropShip in the same class as Jackie Chan though. Maybe Chuck Norris, or Rocky Balboa (at the end of the movie when his face looks like raw hamburger)

Last edited:
I've heard of drunken style Kung Fu (Chinese boxing). Not sure I'd put the DropShip in the same class as Jackie Chan though. Maybe Chuck Norris, or Rocky Balboa (at the end of the movie when his face looks like raw hamburger)
FDS - Jean Claude Van Dam
FAS - Jackie Chan
FGS - Rocky Balboa

:D

Hmm... I recently ranked enough with Fed to enable me to purchase a Dropship.

I love the look of it, but I've been avoiding it as I'd heard so many negative comments about it. I figured I'd wait for a while, do a few more naval missions, and save up for an Assault Ship instead... however, I might - just might - be tempted to give one a test-drive after reading this thread.

Must find myself a decent place to get Naval missions... not seen one for ages!

Top Bottom