Distant Worlds II Event [DW2] Distant Worlds 2: Discovery Submissions

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
CMDR Merydian reporting from Blau Auscs RB-Q c20-0 in Newton's Vault.

Newton's Vault has got to be one of the bigger disappointments in my travels, particularly through the Styx. There's not much scenic here, just a lot of rocks and ice, and rarely, ever so rarely, a water world or two. For an aspiring astrophotographer, nothing much.

So imagine my happiness when at long last I spotted an Earth-like world! And orbiting not one, not two, but three suns! This isn't some barren desert world, this is a green and blue world just like home, amid a vast swath of dead worlds.

My Sapphire in the Rough, Blau Auscs RB-Q c20-0 ABC 1.
EeRPRfz.png

y5TrutK.png

Name: The Saw
System: BLAE FLYUAE OY-H D10-0
Description:
Planet B 1 is a Gas Giant with water based life and some large rings. It has 2 moons, the first one being a so called "inner moon" that orbits inside the rings, a quite uncommon thing in Elite, despite our own solar system having plenty examples of these. The second moon is a landable with an orbit almost perpendicular to the rings, giving a nice view upon them. At the time I landed on it, I got a view that made the rings look like a giant saw, about to cut the moon in half, hence the name.
This was found during a DJ Roundtable livestream of Distant Radio 3305, video linked below.
xI7Y3KX.png

jIarkkj.png

Found an interesting system:
PRAE PRUAE XV-M D7-7
in which there are 12 ringed gas giants, all different colours and different types. One of the gas giants has 3 others orbitting it like moons, while 3 more are linked together as a triplet. Suggested name: Ring the Changes
Screenshot_0407.jpg
test1.jpg

CMDR Trucker Dave
Name: Palette Dance
System: Bleae Aub GO-G c24-0

Description:
Moons A 4 A and A 4 B are oppositely colored (palette swapped, if you will) versions of the same "style" of icy body in orbit close enough to the parent gas giant for some spectacular views in the sky. They are also in a tight binary and both are landable meaning regardless of where they are in their orbits you should be able to land on one of them to get a view of it's binary twin and parent gas giant in the sky together. Both bodies also have a number of geosites and have lots of canyons meaning there could be a lot of great views on these two moons to be discovered depending on when in their orbit a particular pilot arrives.

These particular screenshots were taken from near Geosite 25 on body A 4 A but there are probably lots of better views to discover as these moons continue their orbit.

On a side note; this is also a green system.

jrgcZMG.jpg

ZpoMAFF.jpg

a7EqGHE.jpg

cLBpD4J.jpg

POI Name: Yomi
POI Type: Remarkable system with many wonders. It has 211 geological sites, two moons in super tight orbit, a moon circumnavigating the ring of a gas giant and a white dwarf, among other things.
GalMap Ref: Prooe Flyuae YZ-P d5-100
Description: Commander Jav Marlo found this system during Distant Worlds 2.

Extract from his log:

(…)

Resuming log. Midway between the Phoenix Nebula and the Morphenniel Nebula, in the Izanami region, I have found an interesting system, Prooe Flyuae YZ-P d5-100. Its primary star is a deadly and beautiful white dwarf, that has been guarding the entrance of the system since more than ten thousand million years. If the explorer that manages to arrive here is prudent and able enough to avoid the deadly trap of the white dwarf exclusion zone, he will find himself in an incredible dark and cold, but beautiful system hiding many wonders.

The white dwarf guarding the entrance to Prooe Flyuae YZ-P d5-100

There are four class I cold hydrogen rich gas giants with thirteen icy bodies orbiting them. All these icy moons are landable and there are two hundred and eleven different geological sites spread among them. The first moon in the third gas giant has forty nine geological sites. The system contains too a secondary brown dwarf star more than one hundred thousand light years away that keeps another six similar icy bodies orbiting around. None of the nineteen icy bodies in the system has a temperature above the forty kelvin degrees.

The system Prooe Flyuae YZ-P d5-100

The first gas giant has a very close couple of moons that share an incredibly tight orbit.

The Hyperion flying towards Prooe Flyuae YZ-P d5-100 A 1 a a

The smallest of then has deep canyons and forty five geological sites, providing incredible views of the other moon and the gas giant.

The Hyperion flying over a canyon in Prooe Flyuae YZ-P d5-100 A 1 a a

The fourth gas giant has two moons. The closer one describes an orbit that circumnavigates the ring of the planet almost touching it.

The Hyperion flying towards Prooe Flyuae YZ-P d5-100 A 1 A

It has forty five geological sites too, providing with many potential campsites from where to behold the magnificent ring of the gas giant. The views are quite similar to those on the Silver Highway in system Phipoea HJ-D c27-5254.

The Hyperion landed at The Hyperion landed at Prooe Flyuae YZ-P d5-100 A 1 A

Being this system in the region of Izanami, the Japanese goddess of both creation and hell, it reminded me the legend of Yomi, the land of the dead, most commonly known for Izanami’s retreat to that place after her death, that is described in Japanese mythology as a World of Darkness.

I think Yomi would be a very proper name for this place.

(…)

Name: The Saw
System: BLAE FLYUAE OY-H D10-0
Description:
Planet B 1 is a Gas Giant with water based life and some large rings. It has 2 moons, the first one being a so called "inner moon" that orbits inside the rings, a quite uncommon thing in Elite, despite our own solar system having plenty examples of these. The second moon is a landable with an orbit almost perpendicular to the rings, giving a nice view upon them. At the time I landed on it, I got a view that made the rings look like a giant saw, about to cut the moon in half, hence the name.
This was found during a DJ Roundtable livestream of Distant Radio 3305, video linked below.
xI7Y3KX.png

jIarkkj.png
Additional pics by CMDR Chankk Saotome:
bKK1CQ6.png

5d3nMUx.png

zmniz77.png

CMDR Tang01Down
Name: Galileo's Fishbowl
System: SWUENAA NO-O D7-76
Planet: A 6 A A
Description:
3,000 light-years from WP 11 and 4,000 light-seconds from the main entry A-class star, a small rocky moon (A 6 A A) hugs its parent water world so closely (under 9 Mm) as to provide a majestic view of the massive azure body from several of its geological sites. With a rotational period of just .2 days, it’s also possible to watch a neighboring ringed Y-class dwarf slowly float across the viewing plane. The observer is treated to a spectacular view of the looming aquatic body overhead as well as the ringed purple giant as they pass across the viewing arc.

Silicate vapor geysers are abundant across the surface of this low-G moon.

Water world from geo# 11:

WW + cresting ringed dwarf:

From supercruise:

System map:

Moon info:

Attachments

• F34EF78D-C062-4D5C-8160-06AA7233D310.jpeg
    F34EF78D-C062-4D5C-8160-06AA7233D310.jpeg
    252 KB · Views: 330
Last edited:
Name: Jewellery Box
System: BLAE FLYUAE KH-V E2-0
Description:
This system has been first discovered by CMDR Dr.Nagi and surveyed by CMDR Chankk Saotome. It has a total of 73 bodies, 14 of which are ringed. This system has a lot of interesting things: Moons in close orbits, ringed worlds with different axial tilts giving astonishing views, multiple types of pumpkins, 2 class IV gas giants and a ringed 3.95 G landable (A 3) for speedbowling fans. Lit up by two B-class stars, it is the collection of minor interesting things that makes this system so special, giving it the name Jewelery Box.
System map:
JSLRvEE.png

More Pics:
WZA21v4.png

TB5rImW.png

XckuroD.png

TrHvIav.png

Name: Jewellery Box
System: BLAE FLYUAE KH-V E2-0
Description:
This system has been first discovered by CMDR Dr.Nagi and surveyed by CMDR Chankk Saotome. It has a total of 73 bodies, 14 of which are ringed. This system has a lot of interesting things: Moons in close orbits, ringed worlds with different axial tilts giving astonishing views, multiple types of pumpkins, 2 class IV gas giants and a ringed 3.95 G landable (A 3) for speedbowling fans. Lit up by two B-class stars, it is the collection of minor interesting things that makes this system so special, giving it the name Jewelery Box.

I'm Chankk Saotome, and I approve of this message.

A copy of my contribution to GMP:

Name:Planetary Mist on Oopailn NP-R C7-3
Game map search ref:Oopailn NP-R C7-3 3 B
Description:When dozens of explorers wanted to revisit the so-called "Misty Mountains of Byeia Free" during the Distants Worlds 2 expedition, nobody could witness such feature. However, not very far from there a similar scene of much bigger magnitude could be discovered.

Oopailn NP-R C7-3 3 B is an icy body with nitrogen magma volcanism. Its outgas covers the body all around when eclipsed by the Class I gas giant it orbits. This eclipse happens about each 7.7 days and lasts for hours. The phenomenon is so big that faint traces of it can still be seen in the day zone of the satellite, specially around geosites, even hours after the body is in direct view of its star.

Geosite #6 is advised as it offers a view of the Gas Giant from inside the canyon.
Screenshot reference: Source: https://imgur.com/a/S42IIH8

The latest two pictures are taken around 30 hours after the end of the eclipse, and you can still see how a thin mist affects the colors of the environment after the first meters.

Note: added 640w versions of the pictures at the end of the IMGUR post for convenience.

Last edited:
Found a fairly interesting system in the Formorian Frontier, about 1200Ly from DW2 WP11.
2 x ELW, one with a lunar analogue, and a WW. Sort of like a shadow Shadow Earth, and about 1100Ly from same.
Lots of landable moons, 2 x ring systems and battletoads.
Capture  002.JPG
Capture003.JPG
Screenshot_0115.jpg

Name:Eye of Boreas (submitted for Galactic Mapping Project)
Game map search ref:Prae Pruae TL-B d14-14
Description:Planet 8 of this system is a Class IV gas giant orbited by a Class II gas giant. Planet 8's rings are so massive, I noticed them as I was leaving the system from the vicinity of the primary star at a range of around 2500 ls. The orbit of the Class II "moon" is almost perpendicular to the rings, so as it travels across the face of the disk it gives a wonderful sense of scale.

According to the system entry the rocky outer ring of this planet has a radius of 13,583,779 KM
Screenshot reference:
WJAsUmC.jpg

zM4tzIp.jpg

m69PP1g.jpg

wSL2k4P.jpg
5qWxgh1.jpg
GDivzp0.png

Found a Gas Giant with a massive ring system on Distant Worlds 2 of size 5,532,131 KM plus inside that ring system between the Gas Giant are two landable moons which are orbiting each other. This was the Bleia Flyuae RZ-F c11-3 2 b (Planet), Galactic Map pos = -3594.22, -1051.41, 42953.25
5MSqbtT.jpg

This is what it looked like after landing in a Geological site on one of the close orbiting Moons. Almost looks like it could be an Atmospherical world.

Last edited:
Name: Ytrium Shards
System: SWUENOI JM-D D12-2 9 C
Description: Unremarkable system except for 3 moons with Bio Sites - body 9C containing crystalline shards of pure Ytrium. Topped-up from 70 to 150 units in one visit. 40ish jumps from WP11
1.png
2.png

I just found Striechooe QB-Y C3-2, a star system containing an earthlike, two water worlds and an ammonia world. On top of that, there are quite a few geological sites on the various moons and planets and the rings around the gas giants have a lot of different hotspots.

Found an (already discovered) orange giant star at Streau Eop FB-U d4-2. Not sure how rare orange giants are, but I was impressed when I stumbled across this one. Otherwise it's a bland system with only four high metal content worlds (no landables or rings). It is only a couple thousand lightyears from Beagle Point, however, so you may want to stop by on the way to or from BP.

hhEStlb.jpg

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom