[DW2] Distant Worlds II - Waypoint Scouting Event

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
CMDR Cassia-Silverius

Rhonas Retreat

Bleia Eohn ZR-H D11-77
Planets 5 and 6

A system with many good features. Planets 5 and 6 are a ringed Gas Giant and a ringed Water World in a binary orbit. Both have small, landable rocky moons, which have orbits inclined from the rings giving an outstanding view of the two planets. Body number 4 is a ringed Brown Dwarf with a shepherd moon that features some spectacular mountain ranges. A ringed landable inclined from the rings of Planet 3, and another ringed landable very close to the parent star, with striking blood-red coloration.

This is also a green system for Jumponium with good reserves of Polonium, Yttrium and Arsenic.

Cmdr Wishblend
DW 187
00E-DW

Potential basecamp location

GREEROI MD-Q D6-5

Potential basecamp location

GREEROI MD-Q D6-5
B1
-38.0274 / -81.2164
0.18 Gravity
No landing guide as it changed in the graphics update and already on planet - old dw1 wp
One or two screenshots from the surface location

nxg7M4y.png

JvT91bg.png

fS1Jk8V.jpg

e30yBUP.png

Et2jyRz.png

CMDR: ThomasWJames
DW2 Roster Number: 3497
DW2 ID: 1T0-DW

POTENTIAL WAY-POINT (Great Credits Worth)/POSSIBLE POTENTIAL BASE-CAMP (Has landable moon, but I never landed)

System Name: STUEMEAE OD-K C8-2672
Planetary Reference: Earth-Like World/Suitable for Water-Based Life: STUEMEAE OD-K C8-2672 1, STUEMEAE OD-K C8-2672 2; Water World/Carbon-Water-Based Life/Candidate for Terraforming: STUEMEAE OD-K C8-2627 3
Pictures:
40415x1866.jpg

40416x4632.jpg

40417x1141.jpg

39886x1832.jpg

39888x2043.jpg

Reason:
Binary Earth-Like Worlds with Terraformable Water World next to them. Very close to Sag A*; past Sag A* on the way to Beagle Point.

Last edited:
CMDR Name: Lyneira
DW2 Roster Number: 1017
ID: 06R-DW

Submitting a potential Base camp location, probably closest to the Norma Expanse area of the expedition.

Description: A small volcanic moon orbiting its parent moon extremely closely, the distance between the two at their closest points is less than 1300 km, close enough to fly to its parent without supercruise in a reasonable time. It orbits extremely quickly, completing a full orbit in only 0.2 days, with an equally short day/night cycle. Eclipses of its three suns are a regular occurrence. On the near side, the parent moon is an enormous disk hanging ever still in the sky. Enjoy the sights of the silicate vapour geysers, explore the many canyon systems or try to climb the dark, foreboding mountains. Surface velocity is roughly 160 m/s, so in an SRV you can attempt to race the suns and see how long you can keep them from sinking below the horizon!

System: Eidaills OC-C d41
Body: ABC 3 D
Coords: -18.248 / -88.759
Surface Gravity: 0.05 G
Volcanism Detected: Silicate Vapour Geysers
(Volcanism location courtesy of CMDR Twofingers)

Landing Guide:
f1974477d4.jpg

Other Screenshots:
A6.jpg

051ff631fc.jpg

CMDR Name: Rory Clague
DW2 Roster Number: 1047
ID: 01N-DW

Submitting a potential "challenge" POI. Located in space on the final stretch of the expedition, not too far form Morgan's Rock and the Lin-Shu Hollow on the route back to the bubble from the Norma Expanse.

System Name: Plio Aihm ML-P d5-307
POI Name: Angerona (after the Roman goddess of winter)
Body: 2
EDSM Reference: https://www.edsm.net/en/system/bodi...ls/idB/10642132/nameB/Plio+Aihm+ML-P+d5-307+2

Description: This POI isn't an ideal base camp location, but is better suited as a bit of an optional "challenge" at the end of the expedition and an oddity that may be of interest, especially in light of the expected changes to icy bodies coming in Q4. This is a huge landable icy world, at 32.76 earth masses isn't the largest icy body in the game by any stretch but is one of the larger landable icy bodies I've seen. On top of that, it has a beautiful ring and is only 38 light-seconds away from the parent F star. This translates to a paradoxically high surface temperature for an icy body at 1029 K. The high temperature plus the gravity of 2.8G combine for an interesting challenge to commanders returning from Distant Worlds 2. The surface is fairly rugged, especially inside the largest impact craters, creating even more of a challenge but also some striking views, potentially even more interesting with the changes to icy bodies coming in Q4. An SRV race here or even an optional base camp may be a good place for interesting, if dangerous, antics. Whether this translates into a base camp idea really depends on whether repair facilities are readily available during DW2. I made it out and was able to repair with my limpets and AFMUs, but not all ships will be equipped with this. If you are interested in me surveying a location for a base meetup, or optional SRV race, let me know and I can survey the world to provide this data and a proper landing guide.

Screen shot:
DWmemNY.jpg

hqx3xWq.jpg

Not far from this location (a few thousand light years to the galactic east, just north of the Lin-Shu Hollow) is a better location for a base camp.

System name: Prooe Phio RX-T c3-2
POI Name: Rockall Basin
Body: C 1 A
Coordinates: Latitude: -39.3956, Longitude: -12.3614
EDSM link: https://www.edsm.net/en/system/bodies/id/19024632/name/Prooe+Phio+RX-T+c3-2
Landing guide with 3.0 updated pictures forthcoming based on interest by the organisers

Description:
Also on the last leg of the expedition, between the Norma Expanse and Morgan's Rock, this system may serve as a potentially unique and beautiful location for one of the final base camps. This location is relatively simple in its beauty. The putative camp is located on a moon that is unusually close to its planet, an Earth-like world. The moon is tidally locked to the Earth-like world, so the position of the Earth-like world in the sky from the point of view of the camp is stable. It looms large in the sky, and could serve as a reminder that home is near on the last leg of the expedition. There is volcanism somewhere on the moon, although in my brief visit I didn't find it. However, I could fly along a route in which the ELW would appear in a favourable spot in the sky searching for geological activity if the organisers are seriously interested in this moon as a location. The location I have tentatively picked is in a large canyon with relatively low sides and a large flat area at the bottom. Please see the following shots. Although the colour of the body will have changed since 3.0 was released, the relief and topology of the landscape has not changed (I confirmed this in several locations during the beta). However, if you are interested in this location, I can easily go and get updated screen shots of the location.

Screen shot:
fhvCw8p.jpg

yHiDb5E.jpg

bJKPWOP.jpg

azgooA0.jpg

Last edited:
So @Erimus or Dr Kaii, as the intent for the trip back from bp is intended to loosely correspond with Star Trek Voyager, are you looking for way points that follow that narrative, or can they not be related with Voyager?

So @Erimus or Dr Kaii, as the intent for the trip back from bp is intended to loosely correspond with Star Trek Voyager, are you looking for way points that follow that narrative, or can they not be related with Voyager?

A mixture of both. Stealthie has already pinpointed some systems that loosely follow the Voyager narrative, but we don't have any other info on them other than the system names (marked on Stealthie's map here: Link). So info & screenshots etc of those would be appreciated, as would interesting submissions that fall roughly along that entire route home.

Last edited:
CMDR Name: Brian Speakman
DW2 Roster Number: 408
ID: 176-DW

Proposed Waypoint
System Name: EEMBAIRRS UM-W D1-29
Planetary Body: ABC 3 C A
Surface Coords: 5.5404 / -91.0066
Gravity: 0.05g
Volcanism Detected: Iron Magma
Possible Name: The Drop

skBwTiG
skBwTiG.jpg

lo0i8rS.jpg

4ZnVtLy.jpg

CIPgD8U.jpg

r1W5bvE.jpg

Additional Information: Larger "potato" planet orbiting a ringed gas giant, which is itself orbiting a ringed Class L dwarf.

Last edited:
CMDR name: Vermilienne (alt account)
DW2 Roster Number: 2242
ID: 0AU-DW

Potential basecamp, The Bleak Lands region.

Oupailks BL-W C2-12
A 1 A
-24.7800 / 82.6100 on the floor
0.08G
"The Hippodrome"

Iron magma volcanism near this location.

Valley floor is flat and spacious. The mesa nearby may also serve as the camp, affording a view of the valley below and any SRV races that might be held down there.

All jumponium is available in system, on moons of planets around the arrival star.

Approach guide:
r7bkP5y.jpg

Full system map:
chr9zgV.png

View from SRV:

wzYHiuN.png

Broad vista showing lots of space for many ships. The volcanism POI marker is by the cliff face in the back.
DmKbbYv.png

Last edited:
  • Like (+1)
Reactions: NW3
I'll go get my new 'Conda then. :)

Question:
I recall reading that the waypoints should ideally be about 6000 LY apart (starting from Sol). Is this correct?

2 Submissions for DW2 waypoints.

"The Dryau Awesomes"
DRYAU AUSMS KG-Y E3390
Absolute madness of a system from a topology standpoint. The black hole drop star is in tight binary with a white dwarf, which itself has a gas giant orbiting fully inside it's exclusion zone and passing through the cones with a period of 14 minutes. Less than 20ls away lies a binary of a huge waterworld and a ringed gas giant, the latter of which has 2 volcanic moons skimming the very edge of the rings on slightly inclined orbits. The views offered from the surface of the landable moons is unlike anything seen elsewhere in the galaxy, and all objects in the inner system have extremely short orbital periods creating a dynamically changing view in the sky. Absolute must visit for anyone in the area. Active Geyser site on Body AB 2 A at Coordinates -68.6902 , -80.9021
9mprFWr.jpg

VKHCS79.jpg
"Diamond Geysers"
https://www.edsm.net/en/system/id/2109912/name/Cheae+Euq+ER-L+c21-0
Discovered by CMDR Aintmina of the Diamond Geezers Expedition of 3303 with CMDR ST4R F0X. These colour changing water geysers are found on the foggy moon of the tourist beacon "Grand Rings". It offers a fantastic glimpse of volcanic activity against an epic backdrop, offering views of the nearby Gas Giant's rings and the distant Milky Way on the sky. And with the moon being tidally locked, the amazing view stays there.
4C6qfRL.jpg

PcXqb9o.jpg

rlsMwAS.jpg
Cmdr ST4R F0X

Last edited:
Not signed up yet, (but fully intend to), but I'm mid point between Beagle Point and Sagittarius A, (homeward bound), and I've found a little metallic planet that is abundant with Polonium and Niobium, (well every outcrop I blast is showing them both). Are these the type of places that are of interest to or useful to the expedition?

I know it says 1% Polonium, (the highest I've seen), but I purposely landed in a crater and it's just abundant...

qoiqs8.jpg

2q3vwwi.jpg

Last edited:
CMDR Name: Brian Speakman
DW2 Roster Number: 408
ID: 176-DW

Proposed Waypoint, Perseus Stem

System Name: Hypio Bluae OC-V E2-3148
Planetary Body: B 5 A
Surface Coords: 30.7060 / -44.8033
Gravity: 0.16g
Features: Located within a planetary nebula, with a good challenge mountain adjacent to the landing site.
BvzmHHR.jpg

D8niFm9.jpg

aFtKrAF.jpg

cF3bfGD.jpg

I've been scouting with very limited playtime, and (thankfully) a 63.5 LY jump range and a love for Neutron boosting. I'm about 8KLY from Saggy Bottom, and I was considering going beyond it, thinking "Who's gonna go that far on a scouting mission, only to do it again a few months later? I'm bound to get one of my sites picked if I do." but since gazzak is already out there, I think I'll turn back, sell my data and post my finds.
Found 6 good sites. Now I just need to return, sell my data and name them.

Bubblewards Ho!

I had intended to try to do some scouting, but so far have suffered from "ooh, shiny!" syndrome, and am currently west of the Colonia Highway. Maybe I'll convince myself to swing around at some point while this is still going on. :)

I've been scouting with very limited playtime, and (thankfully) a 63.5 LY jump range and a love for Neutron boosting. I'm about 8KLY from Saggy Bottom, and I was considering going beyond it, thinking "Who's gonna go that far on a scouting mission, only to do it again a few months later? I'm bound to get one of my sites picked if I do." but since gazzak is already out there, I think I'll turn back, sell my data and post my finds.
Found 6 good sites. Now I just need to return, sell my data and name them.

Bubblewards Ho!

I'm heading home with 45ly+ jumps so skimming the pond. I do take a good look at every system I visit but it's not really deep exploration. If yourself or any other commanders want to head out as a group in a few weeks for a better scout around then I'm up for that.

Saggy Bottom? Don't see that one on the list of regions. But if I'm close, or can get to it in less than 4 hours, I'll try my hand at it. Been Planetary Nebula hunting for the Perseus Stem past couple days. but not very good at finding those tiny bubbles even with a blanked out galaxy map.

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom