[DW2] The Fleet in Motion

So according to that map, we have some people still back at the bubble. Some are just off doing their own thing but in general there is a virtual bucket brigade of people along the entire known path so far.

awesome, keep those heat maps coming on a weekly basis.

I wonder what that little block is north west of Colonia. Somebody up there is searching for something as you can see it growing from the 2 images....maybe Raxxla.

That was an Expedition iirc.
And no, Raxxla can't be that far away as by lore it has been reached with old hyperspace technology, long before FSD's were invented.

Not all my in-game friends are on DW2 though.
Then there are those, like me, who are technically on the expedition, but will join up later. (I think I see myself on your screenshot too.) I don't know about others, but I decided to go to Sag A* the other way around, what with having been on the Colonia highway over a dozen times.

Last edited:
That was an Expedition iirc.
And no, Raxxla can't be that far away as by lore it has been reached with old hyperspace technology, long before FSD's were invented.

Ah, I didn't know that... So it is most likely in the vicinity of Sol! Probably available to be found like generation ships... If it really is in the game.

FDev has said that the system that Raxxla is in has been visited but the only Cmdr that did just honked and jumped (before the FSS update).

prob me as i did lots of that before FSS.

FDev has said that the system that Raxxla is in has been visited but the only Cmdr that did just honked and jumped (before the FSS update).

prob me as i did lots of that before FSS.

I have never actually found a source for that statement. So I declare it a rumor.

It was mentioned by Braben on a stream somewhere, i can remember someone asking him....im pretty sure thats where i heard it.....i could be wrong though.

dw2-heatmap-decay-20190226.jpg

I think it goes without saying, but I'm gonna say it anyways. Since this data is farmed from EDSM, it doesn't readily capture console players. I'm still not entirely positive that the account farming they have setup for consoles works properly.

Interesting - the portion of the fleet visiting the intermediate POIs seems to have really dropped off in the past couple of weeks. Looks like quite a few buckyballed it from Polo Harbor to WP6, and guessing from the thickness of the lines, even more went straight from WP6 to SagA or WP6 to Colonia to SagA. Impatient to check out the new station maybe!

I think it goes without saying, but I'm gonna say it anyways. Since this data is farmed from EDSM, it doesn't readily capture console players. I'm still not entirely positive that the account farming they have setup for consoles works properly.

It doesn't, but it IS better than the nothing we had before. I think there are two issues with it; a) how often the Frontier API updates ship positions and b) how often EDSM grabs the data from the API.

Currently the EDSM interface updates every 60s, but a lot of times you're not in a system for long enough for a sample to happen. The second issue I've noticed is that even if you are in a system for the 60s tick, it doesn't always update your location.

Sometimes you can force it to update by stopping and restarting the updater, but even then it doesn't always work.

I suspect the API updates less frequently than EDSM, and that is what is causing the issues. Also it really doesnt seem to like tracking Neutron jumps, my WP5-WP7 maps are missing A LOT of systems.

Last edited:
It doesn't, but it IS better than the nothing we had before. I think there are two issues with it; a) how often the Frontier API updates ship positions and b) how often EDSM grabs the data from the API.

Currently the EDSM interface updates every 60s, but a lot of times you're not in a system for long enough for a sample to happen. The second issue I've noticed is that even if you are in a system for the 60s tick, it doesn't always update your location.

Sometimes you can force it to update by stopping and restarting the updater, but even then it doesn't always work.

I suspect the API updates less frequently than EDSM, and that is what is causing the issues. Also it really doesnt seem to like tracking Neutron jumps, my WP5-WP7 maps are missing A LOT of systems.

I don’t know about the data available on PCs, but on consoles EDSM does not get the position/coordinates of new systems. I have a whole string of systems in red, i.e. EDSM does not know where they are. It only connects the ‘dots’ when I hit a known system. I think that skews the data quite a bit in that it draws long straight lines where the actual path was more of a zig-zag.

I don’t know about the data available on PCs, but on consoles EDSM does not get the position/coordinates of new systems. I have a whole string of systems in red, i.e. EDSM does not know where they are. It only connects the ‘dots’ when I hit a known system. I think that skews the data quite a bit in that it draws long straight lines where the actual path was more of a zig-zag.

Ahh, that could be it. Aside from WP6 I think I might have only run across 4-5 scanned systems, and it's likely they were not scanned by a PC player running EDSM in the first place. I should go and see if my Flight Logs actually have the systems listed, just without a galactic position on them.

They'll get filled in - I add distances to EDSM regularly and the top wanted systems are often all clustered round the DW2 route at the minute which I've been putting down to console systems coming in without.

When you hit a system with coordinates you can look it up on EDSM and enter the distances (to 2dp from the galmap) from there to the places you've already been and once enough distances are in to fix the position those red dots will get fixed.

Top Bottom