Dying with Notoriety higher than 2 should mean no rebuys.

personally for me, who playing pve and solo mostly, and often have high notoriety, no rebuy in that cases would be okey, and even make the game more interesting

Would you agree with losing the engineering on your ship for having notoriety in solo?

I note that one can get notoriety playing PvE too..

I feel like notoriety should be a PvP only thing, with more aggressive ATR chasing interdictions to more quickly drop into low wakes, patrolling high commander vs commander systems, and larger/stronger wings of ATR for particularly persistent aggressive commanders. Essentially, if someone goes on a ganking spree, especially of non-combat oriented players, make it a lot more frustrating for that player to continue doing so. Interrupt them a lot more.
Meanwhile, PvE crime should be bounties only, with increasing threat from system security based on current bounty amounts.

Would you agree with losing the engineering on your ship for having notoriety in solo?
oh, it would be highly unfortunate! but could encourage to avoid situations, where the engineered ship can be lost. or think twice before getting notoriety. as it is now, notoriety means nearly nothing.

I note that one can get notoriety playing PvE too..
In exchange for what advantage? There is no advantage gained through getting notoriety right now, and i actively avoid it because of its lack of jurisdictional considerations... having notoriety because I'm hating on the feds completely spanners me if i forget to request docking at an allied Imperial system... so it's already painful enough.... without going into the broader c&p issues i can hate on feds way more effectively without being a criminal than by being one.... c&p is just so unloved.

So if notoriety is going to kill my engineering, what advantages is becoming notorious going to offer?

FWIW, I regularly pick up notoriety just raiding settlements as I don't take the easy way out of just raiding anarchies.. I've also been known to pick up notoriety for killing ships, and in fact just doing some regular missions. I don't know that there is any advantage to gaining notoriety, it's just the result of normal PvE gameplay and an annoyance that has to be dealt with. Personally I see no advantage in punishing PvE players in a (probably) misguided attempt at limiting ganking.

yes, indeed. and curious, why instead just waiting, we can't clean notoriety directly by doing various activity, in similar way as we gain weekly arx

What would be appropriate? Sitting on the brig carrier for 5 mins per notoriety point? What's the fastest way to gain arx anyway?

My idea was simple killing for no reason ( not power play , not combat zones ) the murderer has to pay the rebuy and any lost mission fines any data lost . But depending on the defensive capabilities of the blown up ship that should be a percentage . Any player with noteriety should not be welcome in those factions areas or with engineers . If blown up you have no rebuy . If you don't have the credits ships are impounded and sold .
There is no real consequence of killing in game for the killer . But I also believe as the victim you have to bear the consequences of not having defensive capabilities.
But that's just my thoughts

it supposed, you gaining advantages by violating law, and taking additional risks for that in form of notoriety
Like what? There is no advantage for doing crime. The only time I killed a NPC without reason, it didn't even dropped ship materials. The only thing I see as having a benefit is wiping out a settlement for on foot materials and even that barely justifies the risk of a rebuy let alone a fully engineered ship.
You are putting people that do crimes on PvE in the same bag as gankers and punishing both types of players with the same severity for completely different reasons.

Like what? There is no advantage for doing crime. The only time I killed a NPC without reason, it didn't even dropped ship materials. The only thing I see as having a benefit is wiping out a settlement for on foot materials and even that barely justifies the risk of a rebuy let alone a fully engineered ship.
You are putting people that do crimes on PvE in the same bag as gankers and punishing both types of players with the same severity for completely different reasons.

...don't punish honest poor pirates as well! We're robbing high net-worth CMDRs to buy food for our starving children!!!

My idea was simple killing for no reason ( not power play , not combat zones ) the murderer has to pay the rebuy and any lost mission fines any data lost .
Define killing for no reason... for example, are the following killing for "no reason"?
  • A high-volume trader causing massive boosts in influence to a faction I'm opposed to
  • Same as above, but they're running missions for a rival faction.
  • Literal dozens of variations covering all of lawful (or unlawful, e.g smuggling) combat, trade, exploration

Essentially, is it "no reason" to kill players for creating undesirable effects for another player using otherwise lawful activities?

I argue no, it's not. "No reason" is a matter of perspective, and I argue that definition (not powerplay, not combat zone) is incredibly narrow and ignores a huge gamut of competitive activities. In particular, Lawful activities are way more damaging and easy to inflict (and significantly more rewarding) than unlawful activity... just being lawful should not give them absolute impunity.

Yeah exactly this. There is no advantage or outcome from commiting crime that can't otherwise be better achieved through lawful conduct. And so in that regard, crime only results in punishment, and no reward.

You simply cannot punish without an incentive... otherwise, if an activity is only meant to incur punishment, simply remove it from the game.

Last edited:
Define killing for no reason... for example, are the following killing for "no reason"?
  • A high-volume trader causing massive boosts in influence to a faction I'm opposed to
  • Literal dozens of variations covering all of lawful (or unlawful, e.g smuggling) combat, trade, exploration

Essentially, is it "no reason" to kill players for creating undesirable effects for another player using otherwise lawful activities?

I argue no, it's not. "No reason" is a matter of perspective, and I argue that definition (not powerplay, not combat zone) is incredibly narrow and ignores a huge gamut of competitive activities. In particular, Lawful activities are way more damaging and easy to inflict (and significantly more rewarding) than unlawful activity... just being lawful should not give them absolute impunity
But a high volume trader does little damage as BGS needs a mix of actions which can be countered easily ( diminishing returns tend to disadvantage high volumes ) . So PvP isn't the be all and end all of working in systems ? In fact it can be bad if the faction you support is the controlling one . Or if building up a lower faction really on gives you inf and possibly trade ? But again these were just my own thoughts and opinions .

It's all invalidated by the fact that they can do all that in solo mode, so you can't prevent them from doing it anyway. The truth is that there's absolutely never a valid reason to ever attack a PVE player.

But a high volume trader does little damage as BGS needs a mix of actions which can be countered easily ( diminishing returns tend to disadvantage high volumes ) . So PvP isn't the be all and end all of working in systems ? In fact it can be bad if the faction you support is the controlling one . Or if building up a lower faction really on gives you inf and possibly trade ? But again these were just my own thoughts and opinions .
That depends entirely on the effect you are trying to achieve.

Top Bottom