Dynamic events/occasions

We've spoken about seasons and weather a lot in another thread, but what about occasions and events that are dynamic?

If time is going to along the same lines as previous RTC3, then seasons will shift pretty quickly, how many Christmas', New Years pass while working on things? Quite a fair few. So so we spend time adding Christmas stuff and removing it again within 10 minutes? Nah. So it got me thinking about dynamic content that can change to seasonal, events and occasions using perimeters that the user can add themselves (as people celebrate different things at different times of the years.

So as well as purchasing themed items, like pumpkins, you could also buy a dynamic place-holder, that would be completely invisible during normal operations, but when for the week that you assign as "Halloween" It becomes a pumpkin, after than it disappears, but the 3 weeks over Christmas it is a Snowman.

This sort of thing could also apply to park banners, lighting systems, queue themes, trees (getting Christmas lights added) and even music that changes to a specific time of the year too.

I agree with all that!

I would love to see an "alive" park with lots of events that happen.

Exactly and it can all be custom. Your birthday, Day park opened its gates, the day a major attraction opened, milestones of any kind. That's what happens in every park now, milestones and events = money, your park should reflect that, people would get excited, they'd spend more (to a degree, as not to cheat).

I can already imagine some excited guests watching at a rollercoaster being under construction... This would add extra realism and possibilities for the player. To sum up: awesome, +1 from me.

I can already imagine some excited guests watching at a rollercoaster being under construction... This would add extra realism and possibilities for the player. To sum up: awesome, +1 from me.
Haha. You let me think of a news-article from Looopings (a dutch themepark newssite) In the netherlands in Walibi is a coaster in the make. And the article was about that Walibi hate it that people come look at there new coaster. Because it is a suprice. [big grin]

Haha. You let me think of a news-article from Looopings (a dutch themepark newssite) In the netherlands in Walibi is a coaster in the make. And the article was about that Walibi hate it that people come look at there new coaster. Because it is a suprice. [big grin]
Looopings <3

Yeah, it's indeed a great idea! But I think it's quite difficult to sort it out for the devs. But hey, they can make a great game already. :D

So when it's Christmas in-game, Christmas themed stuff would be automatically applied to rides and things?

I'd say no. If it's anything like the old RCT games, time moves pretty quickly, there would be a constantly change of themes every couple of minutes, it would get annoying. I'd rather just enjoy the park as it is.

Maybe if it was based on real-world holidays. So during December in real life your holidays would have a Christmas them for example, it wouldn't be as bad (as long as it can be disabled). But I still think that development time would be better spent elsewhere.

Last edited:
So when it's Christmas in-game, Christmas themed stuff would be automatically applied to rides and things?

I'd say no. If it's anything like the old RCT games, time moves pretty quickly, there would be a constantly change of themes every couple of minutes, it would get annoying. I'd rather just enjoy the park as it is.

Did you not read, I guess not. It's an optional thing item in the shop, that is dynamic to to your wishes, you don't have to use it. [where is it]

Last edited:
Even if it's fast and over in 'no time', a christmas theme could easily be run from November to the end of January. Thus, not going away in a blink, nor taking up too much of the gameplay. That's three months worth of in-game time with (optional) christmas decorations. I'm all in for that!

Even if it's fast and over in 'no time', a christmas theme could easily be run from November to the end of January. Thus, not going away in a blink, nor taking up too much of the gameplay. That's three months worth of in-game time with (optional) christmas decorations. I'm all in for that!

Yeah, that's why I suggested that It can be time based via user. When you go to stores these days, they start promoting Christmas at the end of Halloween [tongue]

Ahh yes!! We discussed this in another topic.. sort of.. It was suggested that there is some sort of blue print that you can apply to the park for different events that will auto populate and then delete decorations when the relative event comes through.. This can then be edited as the park grows to encompass everything that changes (and you can also edit existing decorations to freshen up the event) or delete it completely if it's a wash out. We also talked about having levels of attendance that change with events too - but that was based on there being an open / closed cycle..

I really like the idea of this pre-populating events as it adds a realism to the parks. Based on the 2 dev diaries though, there doesn't seem to be any evidence to suggest an open / closed cycle of seasonal decorations - but of course... it's really early days yet!

Did you not read, I guess not. It's an optional thing item in the shop, that is dynamic to to your wishes, you don't have to use it. [where is it]

Great, that doesn't mean I have to think it's a good idea.

I think development time would be better spent elsewhere. That would be a lot of stuff for animators and modellers to make that would barely be seen. I'd much rather them focus on the more important things. And I still think time would travel too fast, if it's anything like the speed of the old RCT games, either the themes would be too short that they would appear and disappear almost instantly, or they'd stay up for so long that you'd go from 1 theme straight to another with barely any time in between. Which for me personally, I don't like. So I'm saying no. It's an opinion. Deal with it.

I want to be able to set all the setting myself. I hope to set how long each day/month/week is and how often seasons occur. I want winter to last a couple real days and i want the option to set this. This ties into how long each day is and how the years are set up.

I want to be able to set all the setting myself. I hope to set how long each day/month/week is and how often seasons occur. I want winter to last a couple real days and i want the option to set this. This ties into how long each day is and how the years are set up.

That's something I'd like to, to play the game as close to real-time (within reason) as possible. A full 24 hours would be a week in game time.

- - - - - Additional Content Posted / Auto Merge - - - - -

Great, that doesn't mean I have to think it's a good idea.

I think development time would be better spent elsewhere. That would be a lot of stuff for animators and modellers to make that would barely be seen. I'd much rather them focus on the more important things. And I still think time would travel too fast, if it's anything like the speed of the old RCT games, either the themes would be too short that they would appear and disappear almost instantly, or they'd stay up for so long that you'd go from 1 theme straight to another with barely any time in between. Which for me personally, I don't like. So I'm saying no. It's an opinion. Deal with it.

That isn't what you said in your original comment though, is it. Your original comment presumed that it takes over and is not optional. [weird]

Again this debate on "the speed of the scroll of time" ?

It must be an important matter I guess.

I think it's important to most. Options are key to a successful game. I think with modern games 3 presets are not enough, just like piece by piece track building isn't though. Ratios that you can set yourself should be included, so that you can play the game you want to play.

Some people prefer it fast, thats fine, you can set it to fast, some prefer slow, you should be able to cater for it too. Same way that people like to play MMO's, but some prefer faster paced MOBO's.

It would be very great opportunity to see some scenery, parades, shows, tickets prices, specific music (christmas songs from november to january for example). But all of these ideas would be more fun if there's also different seasons...

It would be so nice to see snow during a parade with specific christmas scenery items with specific music and see water shows and a different parade during summer. It's the basic of disney charging more in Christmas vacations ;-) So, it would also be a great way to increase prices during these special events... I want realism in management part, and it is ;-)

I like the idea of changing seasons. Perhaps guests wear different types of clothes depending on seasons and temperature. You could have different uniforms based on summer and winter. Perhaps your costumed characters would need more break time in summer than winter and you would need to accommodate that. Or your drink stands get busier on hotter days, leading you to require more deliveries based on heat. Or an ice-cream stand could serve more warm items during winter (such as pies) but sells more cold items during summer. And dynamic events reminds me of Sims 3, where a small pop up message would give you a time limited challenge. These small challenges were optional, but boosted a stat or gave an influx of cash. I believe previous RCT games did this too and I see no reason why Planet Coaster couldn't do this either. Some examples could be to impress a VIP, have a certain ride become more profitable, have guests average park ratings higher, pay off a loan in a certain amount of time - etc. This could be dynamic - based on what you have in the park and what you could potentially be working towards.

Top Bottom