In-Development E.D.I.S.O.N - Orbital and surface navigation / Waypoints

Hello Commanders,

I have created a tool, which helps with navigating to coordinates/waypoints.

01/08/2019: Version 5.1 beta available

Features:
  • Guidance to planetary waypoints using an overlay and voice output.
  • HUD overlay color is customizable.
  • Automatically fetch planets radius from journal or EDSM.
  • Choose between rhumb line or great circle navigation (constant bearing vs shortest path)
  • Customizable hotkeys (Show/Hide E.D.I.S.O.N., Start/Stop navigation, Enable/Disable voice)
  • Waypoint manager.
    -Create waypoints and sort them into categories.
    -Mark waypoints as visited.
    -Calculate distance to Sol.
    -Calculate distance to current position.
    -Export waypoints as .csv file.
    -Import waypoints from .csv files.
Here is what it looks like (Notice the small overlay above the compass.):
QBtLwCb.png

This is a detailed view of the HUD overlay in different states:
WZ92AUW.png

The arrow points in the direction you have to turn to reach your target, while it's length indicates how far you have to turn.
When you are on course 'O' is displayed.

The last part shows the descent mode. It is activated when you are near your target and shows to pitch angle you need to maintain.

The overlay can be moved around by clicking the text and dragging with the left mouse button.

Additionally E.D.I.S.O.N. can output navigation information using speech.
It produces messages like "Fly left heading 1 0 2. Distance to target 2200 kilometers".

And here is a link to the Elite Dangerous Codex:
http://edcodex.info/?m=tools&entry=431
You will find the download link there.

If you have questions, suggestions or need help, please reply to this thread.
You can also contact me on Discord: Ashragon#4435 or write a PM.

Fly safe!

Last edited:
Do the screen shots get deleted automatically or is it a manual thing?

It is a damn good tool but if the screen shots keep growing it will quickly fill up someone hard drive.

I am really surprised you have not had more feedback for this, it has worked great for me and saves so much time exploring.

It may be a good idea to change the colours of the app to make it look more "Elite" so to speak and blend better with the HUD.

Could be a reason why people dont like using it or are not commenting, a big white square on your HUD does not look pleaseant, just an observation of course.

Last edited:
Got the info abaout your great work today from our discord. I am trying this asap. If this works i call this an Milestone for every Commander out there!
Greetings and best wishes

Sounds great! :), would love to try it, but when I run the exe it says I don't have permission to (I am admin), & then the exe vanishes!! Can someone help?

Responded before in another thread about this - but this is great work :)

If only you didn't need to resort to screen capture & OCR, and Frontier added in a live UDP stream of LAT/LON instead :/

Sounds great! :), would love to try it, but when I run the exe it says I don't have permission to (I am admin), & then the exe vanishes!! Can someone help?

Hey Assimilator1,

that has to be a problem with your antivirus software. My guess is, it detects Edison as false positive. I've had that happen a lot with AVG.
You need to whitelist Edison.exe.

Responded before in another thread about this - but this is great work :)

If only you didn't need to resort to screen capture & OCR, and Frontier added in a live UDP stream of LAT/LON instead :/

FDev added LAT/LON information to the commanders log in the Beta (It is attached to the screenshot event).
It's a start, but I'd like to have altitude, speed and bearing as well.

A livestream would be great, but my guess is it's never gonna happen. I still hope for custom waypoints in 3.0.

I am really surprised you have not had more feedback for this, it has worked great for me and saves so much time exploring.

It may be a good idea to change the colours of the app to make it look more "Elite" so to speak and blend better with the HUD.

Could be a reason why people dont like using it or are not commenting, a big white square on your HUD does not look pleaseant, just an observation of course.

In the latest version, there is a small overlay that displays bearing, distance and angle to target. There is no need to have the big Edison window on top of the E:D hud.

I really should update the demo video. :p It kind of gives the wrong idea of how Edison is supposed to be used.

It kind of gives the wrong idea of how Edison is supposed to be used.

As they say, "you only have one chance to make first impression", so at least add a screenshot first with the new overlay. I'm sure you will get more response, because frankly as mentioned in the thread the humongous window covering the left side of the screen is off-putting :)

FDev added LAT/LON information to the commanders log in the Beta (It is attached to the screenshot event).
It's a start, but I'd like to have altitude, speed and bearing as well.

A livestream would be great, but my guess is it's never gonna happen. I still hope for custom waypoints in 3.0.

Why not join us on the EDCD Discord.

We're musing out loud there about various 'would be nice to have' things. Plus quite a lot of 3rd-party devs hang out there and we're all talking to one another - mostly in a jovial manner. (Says he who had a bit of a fit the other night due to tired grumpiness ;) )

I find the computer telling the heading via voice a great feature. I suppose the program will still work when minimized, so I woulnd't need the overlay?

As they say, "you only have one chance to make first impression", so at least add a screenshot first with the new overlay. I'm sure you will get more response, because frankly as mentioned in the thread the humongous window covering the left side of the screen is off-putting :)

Yeah, I really botched that. [knocked out]

I've added a new screenshot and will update the videos as soon as possible.
http://imgur.com/t1veL8x

Why not join us on the EDCD Discord.

We're musing out loud there about various 'would be nice to have' things. Plus quite a lot of 3rd-party devs hang out there and we're all talking to one another - mostly in a jovial manner. (Says he who had a bit of a fit the other night due to tired grumpiness ;) )

Great idea, I will think about that. :)

dayrth

Volunteer Moderator
Sorry, I don't know. But my guess is, that it would not work.
It does not display in VR, but that should not be too much of a problem with the spoken instructions. I have installed and it seems to run, but I haven't had a chance to set it up properly yet. I will do so when I get back next week and let you know how well it works with VR.

Top Bottom