E:D & Vive-Pro Perspective / FOV issues and question for others using similar setup

Apologies if this is the wrong thread for assistance and I just not sure if the issue with my setup or if this is a Vive Pro bug.

The short version:

Love the extra resolution of Vive Pro, but experiencing *VERY BAD* perspective or maybe Field of View issues. So much so that I don’t want to play ED in VR :(

It is worse in the SRV or smaller ships like Viper and ICourier. The targeting reticle distance seems VERY WRONG. Distance to outside ship/SRV to objects (like the ground) seems WRONG. My brain rebels against it … meaning I get the unease feeling one sometimes can get in VR. Never had this type of problem before in VR.

Questions for other people with ED and Vive Pro:

1. What FOV setting do you use?
  2. Any other Vive/VR settings advice and/or suggestions most welcome.
More Information:

I think not everyone experiences the higher resolution to same, but for me ED looks *allot* better … no more struggling to reading text, no more pixilated ships etc. Love it. There still is the godray issue, but overall I really like it.

But I seem to have a serious perspective/scale issue with ED in smaller ships and SRV. A serious VR showstopper for me.

More than a year ago I tried ED with CV1 and old Vive. I don’t recall CV1 having scale problems, and had read ED had some scale issue in Vive. I don’t recall noticing it much with Vive, but had not really played ED much with the old Vive. Mostly CV1.

Maybe my FOV setting are wrong. **Anyone know what my FOV settings are supposed to be?** 58?

Any suggestions how to mitigate Vive ED perspective / scale issues? For me it not just that I am in a childs sized body … but worse is the scale of objects / distance to outside ship … I can only describe it as VERY WRONG.

My Hardware Setup:

• CPU: Intel Core i7-5930K (@ 4.4)
  • GPU: Titan X (Pascal) … the version just before the release of the 1080ti
  • RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws 4 Series 16GB (4 x 4GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3000 (PC4 24000)
  • MB: RAMPAGE V & STRIX MOTHERBOARDS (X99)
  • MAIN SCREEN: ASUS ROG SWIFT PG348Q 34" and two 1080p screens

Last edited:
Hello!
This belongs to virtual reality sub forum.
First thing is you can't change the FOV on virtual headset, it's fixed, what you can change is your IPD, i guess the 58 is yours and it's pretty low, meaning that it can bother you in VR. Try to be sure of your IPD et change it with the Vive.
I play with a pro without any problems (big small ship and srv, fighters...)

Be sure to have enough graphic power too, if you got too much reprojection going that can mess with your ability to experience VR gaming. Try VR medium setting without supersampling first to see if it's more bearable.

Are you using glasses? In my experience glasses can seriously mess with FOV and cause distortions if not properly aligned with HMD lenses.

Hello!
This belongs to virtual reality sub forum.
First thing is you can't change the FOV on virtual headset, it's fixed, what you can change is your IPD, i guess the 58 is yours and it's pretty low, meaning that it can bother you in VR. Try to be sure of your IPD et change it with the Vive.
I play with a pro without any problems (big small ship and srv, fighters...)

Be sure to have enough graphic power too, if you got too much reprojection going that can mess with your ability to experience VR gaming. Try VR medium setting without supersampling first to see if it's more bearable.

Oh, are you saying FOV settings in XML file does not impact the VR experience?

>> IPD
I am pretty sure mine is set correct, I dont know mine off the top of my head but it was in the higher 60s (I have a huge melon) :)

>> 58
Nope, that is my FOV setting in the graphics XML file ... normally on my 34" utra wide I have it at 75. I dont recall what the original ED FOV is supposed to be, so I wonder if mine is wrong.

>> VR medium
I have made all those change, tried them all ... my hardware is also listed in the post. With a Titan XP I should be more than fine. Yes, I also tried VR low/medium. All the same. Its really a perspective/FOV issue. Its like in a very small ship it feel like I am siting on the ships nose. [mad]

Are you using glasses? In my experience glasses can seriously mess with FOV and cause distortions if not properly aligned with HMD lenses.

Nope no glasses here. Lasik long time ago ... I should figure out how to make a VR recording to try show the issue :mad: I find it always hard to describe VR issues.

Last edited:
I tried playing with my Vive. Quickly gave up, because the ingame menus are not really readable. The Vive has significant less resolution compared to my 4k screen and the game is not really optimized for VR. Menus have to be big and clear, adapted to the low resolution, but they aren't. They appear far, far away.

Oh, are you saying FOV settings in XML file does not impact the VR experience?

Nope, it doesn't. When you play in VR it completely ignores that setting, and sets it to its own value that you can't change anywhere (AFAIK... if someone knows different please say).

I have a Rift rather than a Vive, so I can't help you with your specific problem - sorry. Try in the VR sub-forum.

Edit: One thought occurs... maybe you need to re-run the Steam VR setup and set the floor level to be your sitting rather than standing height. Assuming of course you are playing E: D sitting down.

Last edited:
I'm surprised this hasn't been mentioned more, but yes. From what I can tell due to the way elite renders the cockpit view there's an issue with the depth perception on everything outside the ship. After playing for two or so hours your brain can overlook it, but the issue is that the cockpit interior and outer space are rendered separately. If you play the game normally you don't notice, as you only have one camera, with vr though, you can clearly see how everything beyond the glass is just projected onto a flat screen outside your cockpit.

Top Bottom