ED Astrometrics: Maps and Visualizations

Speculation wrt to the suppressed star types along the X=0 and Z=0 was/is twofold:
a) there are sufficient manually authored systems around the bubble, so the FD's plan was to suppress certain proc-gen star types in the area around the bubble
b) while programming the suppression of the two axis an "OR" was used instead of an "AND", resulting in two suppressed lanes instead of one suppressed area

Huh, that's actually the best explanation I've seen yet for the empty bands across the galaxy.

This thread is awesome by the way, the maps are great to look over.

Alright, let's give this a shot! I'm considering this to very much be in a BETA state, but I have a service running to generate video travel histories.

Right now it works by uploading all of the relevant journal/log files, of which you might have quite a few. I've been testing with my own, numbering nearly 800. I set a hard cap at 10,000 journal files (but the web browser may have a limit I don't know about), and at 600 seconds (10 minutes) worth of video. Later, I think it might be better to make an uploader that uses javascript in the web page that will scan your journals and upload only the entries that I need. But for now, this works. The journal files are stored temporarily, and eventually expire off of the server, and are not made public.

http://elite.necrobones.com/vid/travelvideo

If you have any feedback or bug reports, please feel free to post here or PM me.

Just ran my logs through this, and it is cool as hell. Well done sir!

Thanks Cmdr Orvidius, great stuff!

Heres my video of both of my Cmdrs travels since DECE launched in October 3303.

[video=youtube_share;NjW-uAxc0f0]https://youtu.be/NjW-uAxc0f0[/video]

Great videos! Anyone who hasn't posted one here yet, please feel free to share!

One thing that I love in these videos, is that you can really tell when someone is neutron boosting, because the line moves much more quickly. The rest of the time, it tries to keep the pace somewhat consistent by skipping over jumps that are too small to be visible (hence the variation in "jumps/sec").

Henkka77, I saw your line break and return in two different places. Were those two different commanders? That's giving me an idea. Right now it extracts the commander name once, and acknowledges a break in the line any time a "location" event doesn't agree with the last jump's coordinates (by death, teleportation via FDev, or missing logs). Maybe I need to have it track the commander name for each jump, if there's mixed data.

Great videos! Anyone who hasn't posted one here yet, please feel free to share!

One thing that I love in these videos, is that you can really tell when someone is neutron boosting, because the line moves much more quickly. The rest of the time, it tries to keep the pace somewhat consistent by skipping over jumps that are too small to be visible (hence the variation in "jumps/sec").

Henkka77, I saw your line break and return in two different places. Were those two different commanders? That's giving me an idea. Right now it extracts the commander name once, and acknowledges a break in the line any time a "location" event doesn't agree with the last jump's coordinates (by death, teleportation via FDev, or missing logs). Maybe I need to have it track the commander name for each jump, if there's mixed data.

Would be cool to see different CMDRs in separate colours. That would also be a very nice feature to track expedition participants.

Nice, Macros. Approaching the "interessing" region ? ;) Keep both eyes open wide !
See you at BP.
When is it scheduled?

Think it's 5th of May.

This is my circumnavigation from last Summer / Autumn:

[video=youtube_share;KrbMSSvvy4I]https://youtu.be/KrbMSSvvy4I[/video]

nb: wouldn't work when I tried to upload the journals using Firefox. I tried it twice but both times got a connection reset error message, a subset of the journals did work. I then tried the lot again using Chrome and that worked fine.

Yes, as it says in the video description, it shows travel histories of both my Cmdrs, because the journals of both accounts are located in same directory. The problem is theres no way of separating those.
But the video is quite funny even like that. :)

Would be cool to see different CMDRs in separate colours. That would also be a very nice feature to track expedition participants.

That is a pretty cool idea. I might be able to do that.

nb: wouldn't work when I tried to upload the journals using Firefox. I tried it twice but both times got a connection reset error message, a subset of the journals did work. I then tried the lot again using Chrome and that worked fine.

Strange. I've been using Firefox to test and haven't had any problems. I never did see if there's a cap on how many files each browser can upload at once. I still feel like it'll be a better solution to filter on the browser side and upload as one big form, rather than hundreds of files, but that'll have to be a separate update to the tool, if I can get it to work. I haven't tried writing client-side file manipulations for a website before. I'm learning new things as I go.

Yes, as it says in the video description, it shows travel histories of both my Cmdrs, because the journals of both accounts are located in same directory. The problem is theres no way of separating those.
But the video is quite funny even like that. :)

Hah, I guess I should have looked at the description. :) I like the idea above of color-coding the commanders too. I'll have to see how much complexity that will add, but I think it should be pretty reasonable.

Excellent tool. This will be a lot of fun. I agree with the idea of multiple commanders colour-coded. It would be fantastic for tracking group expeditions. Here is my journey on the Minerva-Centaurus Expedition up to today. And you really can see when someone is using neutron star boosting. Towards the end I go back to Centralis to change into my asp (was getting a bit bored with the Clipper) and I really rocket down.

[video=youtube_share;seNv8Kx0ojU]https://youtu.be/seNv8Kx0ojU[/video]

Last edited:
Strange. I've been using Firefox to test and haven't had any problems. I never did see if there's a cap on how many files each browser can upload at once. I still feel like it'll be a better solution to filter on the browser side and upload as one big form, rather than hundreds of files, but that'll have to be a separate update to the tool, if I can get it to work. I haven't tried writing client-side file manipulations for a website before. I'm learning new things as I go.
Maybe using an archive format (zip for easy use by windows users) might be a way around the large number of files to be transferred?

Have you considered processing the legacy netlog files from before the Journals? That might be a pain though, due to the completely different format and the need to look up the coordinates separately for every entry (as only the system name is in the netlog). Additionally, many of those systems will not have coordinates, except for those trilaterated or re-visited by CMDRs. But still, this would be great, as it would cover a lot of what happened since the beginning, incl. DWE.

This is going smoother than I thought. The color coding is almost ready. I'm running some tests and finding some bugs, but I'll have the update in shortly, I think.

I'm also going to have to shorten the server expiration. Initially I thought I'd keep the videos around for 2-3 days, but started it at 7 to see how it would go. I'm realizing that 7 days will end up storing quite a lot of video, and people should be downloading them on the same day they upload the journals anyway. I'm going to shorten it to 3 days and see how that goes. The first videos (from Feb 8, starting with my own internal tests) will probably start expiring off the server tomorrow.

Maybe using an archive format (zip for easy use by windows users) might be a way around the large number of files to be transferred?

Have you considered processing the legacy netlog files from before the Journals? That might be a pain though, due to the completely different format and the need to look up the coordinates separately for every entry (as only the system name is in the netlog). Additionally, many of those systems will not have coordinates, except for those trilaterated or re-visited by CMDRs. But still, this would be great, as it would cover a lot of what happened since the beginning, incl. DWE.

Yeah, I thought about ZIP as well. That could possibly work. I'm trying to keep it as user friendly as I can though. I'll give it some thought, but it might be worth updating the uploader to optionally accept either a zip file, or the raw journals.

Wow, the netlogs. I hadn't even thought about those. I'd need samples, since I don't have any of my own. But yeah, lacking coordinates would be a huge roadblock.

Alright, color-coding is up, and the displayed CMDR name will share the color of whichever CMDR is currently being drawn.

Yeah, I thought about ZIP as well. That could possibly work. I'm trying to keep it as user friendly as I can though. I'll give it some thought, but it might be worth updating the uploader to optionally accept either a zip file, or the raw journals.

Wow, the netlogs. I hadn't even thought about those. I'd need samples, since I don't have any of my own. But yeah, lacking coordinates would be a huge roadblock.

If all you really need is a list of timestamps and coordinates then you could always define a format that people could easily pull from their local ED Discovery database and upload that rather then large volumes of journal data that you don't really need - and that would cover the trilaterated systems from the netlog era.

Alright, color-coding is up, and the displayed CMDR name will share the color of whichever CMDR is currently being drawn.

I switched the colors around, since commander #2 was blue, and blue doesn't seem to show up well. The current sequence is: Green, Red, Yellow, Magenta, Cyan, White.

If all you really need is a list of timestamps and coordinates then you could always define a format that people could easily pull from their local ED Discovery database and upload that rather then large volumes of journal data that you don't really need - and that would cover the trilaterated systems from the netlog era.

Right now I'm pulling 3 different events: LoadGame (gives me commander name), Location (important for non-jump movement, such as gaps in the data, multiple commanders, FDev teleportation, starting position, etc), and of course FSDJump. I'm not sure what the best way would be to extract that from EDD. Uploading the entire EDD data isn't feasible since that can be multiple GB in size, but an export of some kind might work, if there's a way to do that.

You can set up a view of FSD Jumps (with coordinates only), Location and Load Game events.

The easiest thing might be to add an option to the export for that grid that outputs the underlying journals (if it's old netlog stuff we make a journal out of it) rather than the formatted CSV it normally does. That way people could create one big journal file with just the journals you care about (and would be generally applicable for other things where you want to upload some journals to an endpoint that's only really interested in a fraction of them).

I'll have a look into that in the next couple of days.

You can set up a view of FSD Jumps (with coordinates only), Location and Load Game events.

The easiest thing might be to add an option to the export for that grid that outputs the underlying journals (if it's old netlog stuff we make a journal out of it) rather than the formatted CSV it normally does. That way people could create one big journal file with just the journals you care about (and would be generally applicable for other things where you want to upload some journals to an endpoint that's only really interested in a fraction of them).

I'll have a look into that in the next couple of days.

That would be super cool, and is similar to what I was thinking of doing with a javascript / browser-side journal scanner (basically just build one journal with only those events).

Top Bottom