ED:Runner. A help program for VR headsets with joysticks/HOTAS, part 2.

Since updating to 3.3 and also switching to new X56 HOTAS, EDRunner keeps crashing when it's waiting for joystick input in order to regain focus. The following message pops up and the application crashes:

My ini file is as follows:
Code:
[General]
JoystickID=1
JoyMonitor=0,1
JoyTolerance=200
EliteWindowTitle=Elite - Dangerous (CLIENT)
DoubleClickGameWindowDelay=8
ResetHeadSet={F12}

[AudioDeviceSettings]
VRAudioDevice=NA
NormalAudioDevice=NA
ManualAudioDeviceKey=!{PGUP}
NoAutomaticAudioSwitching=TRUE
OnlySwitchOnGameClosed=FALSE

[LaunchPrograms]
# E:D Market Connector=C:\Program Files (x86)\EDMarketConnector\EDMarketConnector.exe
# VoiceAttack=C:\Program Files (x86)\VoiceAttack\VoiceAttack.exe -reverseprofilepriority

[Voice]
Enable Speech=True
Voice Rate=0
ED Start=E D runner starting
VR Audio Active=<VRAudioDevice> active
Normal Audio Active=<NormalAudioDevice> active
Lost focus=Lost Elite focus. Monitoring joystick <JoyID>
Game found=Game found. Activating
Game refocused=Refocusing
Game not found=Game not found. Idling
Reset Headset=Look straight ahead

[Priority]
EliteDangerous64.exe=HIGH
WatchDog64.exe=LOW

[Extras]
ExtraJoyDebugValues=FALSE
WinTitleMatchMode=1
LaunchProgramsWhenGameFound=TRUE
CloseLaunchPrograms=FALSE
DoubleClickGameWindowDelayTune=FALSE
MonitorDelay=100

The joystick tester confirms the values and all looks fine.

Also, any chance LaunchPrograms section could support passing parameters? The commented out one for VoiceAttack above doesn't work. Thanks.

Heya. No time to look into this over christmas sadly, but you can help me by running the debug version instead, in a CMD window (start it from CMD) and post the last lines when it crashes. That might help me locate the error.

I'll have a look at refining launchprograms as well. Should be possible.

Last edited:
No worries, but did as you asked though I don't think it's very useful this is all that was shown once the error pops up:

Code:
C:\Users\Fernando\Downloads\ED_Runner 2.0\Debug>ED_Runner_Debug.exeLoading version 2.0.1.0
WinTitleMatchMode is set to 1
Monitoring a single joystick ID: 1
Setting up voice...
Voice: "E D runner starting" to Default Audio Device Currently Set
Joystick to monitor: "1"
Joystick inputs to monitor: "0,1"
Delay between controller checks: 100MS
Lost game window. Long idle.
Voice: "Game not found. Idling" to Default Audio Device Currently Set
Changing priority on WatchDog64.exe from 2 to 0. (Low).
Ignoring LaunchProgram: # E:D Market Connector
Ignoring LaunchProgram: # VoiceAttack
Game window found again. Activating it.
Voice: "Game found. Activating" to Default Audio Device Currently Set
Found game window to double click at X:120 Y:29
Set Elite - Dangerous (CLIENT) to AlwaysOnTop to make sure we click it.
Double left clicking mouse in game window.
Release AlwaysOnTop for Elite - Dangerous (CLIENT)
Start ResetHeadSet using: <{F12}>
Voice: "Look straight ahead" to Default Audio Device Currently Set
Click key {F12}
End ResetHeadSet
Changing priority on EliteDangerous64.exe from 2 to 4 (High).
Lost focus for Elite - Dangerous (CLIENT) - Monitoring joystick #1
Voice: "Lost Elite focus. Monitoring joystick 1" to Default Audio Device Currently Set

No worries, but did as you asked though I don't think it's very useful this is all that was shown once the error pops up:

Code:
C:\Users\Fernando\Downloads\ED_Runner 2.0\Debug>ED_Runner_Debug.exeLoading version 2.0.1.0
WinTitleMatchMode is set to 1
Monitoring a single joystick ID: 1
Setting up voice...
Voice: "E D runner starting" to Default Audio Device Currently Set
Joystick to monitor: "1"
Joystick inputs to monitor: "0,1"
Delay between controller checks: 100MS
Lost game window. Long idle.
Voice: "Game not found. Idling" to Default Audio Device Currently Set
Changing priority on WatchDog64.exe from 2 to 0. (Low).
Ignoring LaunchProgram: # E:D Market Connector
Ignoring LaunchProgram: # VoiceAttack
Game window found again. Activating it.
Voice: "Game found. Activating" to Default Audio Device Currently Set
Found game window to double click at X:120 Y:29
Set Elite - Dangerous (CLIENT) to AlwaysOnTop to make sure we click it.
Double left clicking mouse in game window.
Release AlwaysOnTop for Elite - Dangerous (CLIENT)
Start ResetHeadSet using: <{F12}>
Voice: "Look straight ahead" to Default Audio Device Currently Set
Click key {F12}
End ResetHeadSet
Changing priority on EliteDangerous64.exe from 2 to 4 (High).
Lost focus for Elite - Dangerous (CLIENT) - Monitoring joystick #1
Voice: "Lost Elite focus. Monitoring joystick 1" to Default Audio Device Currently Set

Thanks. Yeah, that did not help much.

Try this version. It will spam as heck but please let me know what happens when it crashes. Quite a bit of log before it crashes helps.

http://grandis.nu/downloads/ED_Runner_Debug_test.zip

Last edited:
Had to pipe the output to a file, but it didn't seem to run normally i.e. no voice. Had it running before I ran ED, and it seem to get stuck, so I ran ED anywhere and when I tried to switch windows to check it, the program crashed like before. So I ran it again, which is when I thought to pipe it to a file, and it crashed very soon after before I switched back to the game.

View attachment f.txt

Had to pipe the output to a file, but it didn't seem to run normally i.e. no voice. Had it running before I ran ED, and it seem to get stuck, so I ran ED anywhere and when I tried to switch windows to check it, the program crashed like before. So I ran it again, which is when I thought to pipe it to a file, and it crashed very soon after before I switched back to the game.

Hm, do you have any joy 0 or does it start with joy ID 1 in the Joystick_Test.exe?

Edit: Family left early this Christmas so.. I hope I found it. Can you try 2.1? Question above is still relevant though.. Never seen a joyid start with 1 with no 0...
http://grandis.nu/downloads/ED_Runner_2.1.zip

Code:
    2.1:
    * Joystick_Test.exe improved codewise. Added version and architechture to the title as well.
    * If only one joystick was defined and it was not JoyID:0, it might crash when trying to detect movement if focus was lost. Fixed.
    * Added the ability to define parameters to RunPrograms applications. Just add another = after the .exe with the args you want. Example:
      VoiceAttack=C:\Program Files (x86)\VoiceAttack\VoiceAttack.exe=-reverseprofilepriority
      Or if you want multiple args, just use a space.
      VoiceAttack=C:\Program Files (x86)\VoiceAttack\VoiceAttack.exe=-reverseprofilepriority -listeningon

Last edited:
Sorry have packed up for a few days, but will test the moment I am back. I'm pretty sure I have 0 and 1, with 0 being the the throttle and 1 being the joystick (I have an X56). I only saw the need to be checking on one of them so that's how I set it up.

Sorry have packed up for a few days, but will test the moment I am back. I'm pretty sure I have 0 and 1, with 0 being the the throttle and 1 being the joystick (I have an X56). I only saw the need to be checking on one of them so that's how I set it up.

No rush. I'll be gone for a week now. If it does not fix it, you might be able to set "JoystickID=0-1" in the meantime to bypass the error.

Actually before I left I did sneak in a few minutes on the PC. Couldn't test the new version but did run the new joystick tester to check out what it was detecting, and my HOTAS is now on 1 and 2, with 0 being nothing detected. I have no other controller attached except for the Xbox wireless adapter but the gamepad was not switched on.

Actually before I left I did sneak in a few minutes on the PC. Couldn't test the new version but did run the new joystick tester to check out what it was detecting, and my HOTAS is now on 1 and 2, with 0 being nothing detected. I have no other controller attached except for the Xbox wireless adapter but the gamepad was not switched on.

Good news. Then I am quite certain the 2.1 will work =)

Should I be worried?

Clipboard01.png

Windows Defender did just update on my PC.

EDRunner.exe https://www.virustotal.com/en/file/...6fb3656f9920f5258810e067/analysis/1546367247/

ED_Speak.exe https://www.virustotal.com/en/file/...f9ee642083ebe56973d317c3/analysis/1546367577/

No, Defender just doesn't like some executables created with AutoHotkey and shows them as viruses. A real PITA sometimes.....

Last edited:
Let me know if it starts complaining again. Sometimes it helps if I compile it as a x64 exe instead of x86..

Last edited:
How can I turn off the auto refocus when I click out of ED Runner?

I love this program but that is annoying... not a huge issue but a bit of a pain when I have to click out twice because of the auto refocus.

I just started using this. Great program! A must for all ED VR players.

One thing I seem to notice: Only a maximum of 2 launch programs are allowed, right? Wondering if I'm missing something to make more than 2 programs launch alongside EDMC and VoiceAttack. Adding a 3rd (like Spotify or anything else) just doesn't work

I just started using this. Great program! A must for all ED VR players.

One thing I seem to notice: Only a maximum of 2 launch programs are allowed, right? Wondering if I'm missing something to make more than 2 programs launch alongside EDMC and VoiceAttack. Adding a 3rd (like Spotify or anything else) just doesn't work

It should work as I have it launch VoiceAttack, Chatterino and EDMarketConnector each time I start ED.

Top Bottom