ED used to immersive, now it's a shop front.

I don't think the concept of Arx overall is terrible. I'm fine with it. I have't tried the new update yet because I will wait until the bugs are fixed. I did see the screenshots of the big blue Arx button in the station screen. That is definitely a step too far and Frontier should send that terrible idea to /dev/null on the ASAP. C'mon Frontier, you guys still have my support but who thought the players would be ok with that?

Repost from another thread that I believe is relevant to this topic:
Before this update came out, its interesting how all us that were skeptical about this update were called "entitled" and to just shut up if you dont like "free" stuff. Even though we weren't complaining about the "free" stuff, it was always used as a strawman to defend the new arx system. Then now to see the update and reaction... Well I know now who the naive suckers are.

Before this update came out, its interesting how all us that were skeptical about this update were called "entitled" and to just shut up if you dont like "free" stuff. Even though we weren't complaining about the "free" stuff, it was always used as a strawman to defend the new arx system. Then now to see the update and reaction... Well I know now who the naive suckers are.
I definitely see your point... But that said in principle I Do still support the idea behind earning arx in game etc.... Their implementation of ramming down our necks in game sucks balls however

Prior to the update I had no problems with the new arx and store, we on console already had Frontier Points so there wasn't going to change that much.
The way they implemented to store however is intrusive, stuffing it in our face all the time you play the game.
There are EA games out there that don't even do that.

If it's true that the prices of items have gone up too then I'll even be more disgusted.

Just proves once again that nothing in life is free
I dunno I look at the 30 hrs I have put into NMS (I bought it after the VR update) and consider the amount of content which has been added to the game..... EVERYTHING in game had been free in that no microtransactions of any description and yet the content in that game is off the scale.

Sure in some ways ED is more ambitious but still.... Maybe I am wrong but I "feel" FD could have done (should have done?) Better than they have with ED

I think a lot of this Arx rubbish needs to go from within the game. It's really just shoving it in your face.
On balance, I think I net to zero on Arx overall. I don't like these silly mickey mouse currencies in games, they feel like a con, but earning Arx as you play lets me manage that so I'm grudgingly okay.

But I don't want the store shoved in my face every time I dock. That's pretty egregious behaviour and not classy, FD.

But I don't want the store shoved in my face every time I dock. That's pretty egregious behaviour and not classy, FD.
Also when you go Livery and want to add something to your ship, all the purchased stuff is at the bottom. So you HAVE to scroll through all the purchasable stuff before you get to the items you own. Very sneaky! And quite low!

Also when you go Livery and want to add something to your ship, all the purchased stuff is at the bottom. So you HAVE to scroll through all the purchasable stuff before you get to the items you own. Very sneaky! And quite low!

I think you must have something set differently to me (one of the filters?) - all the owned stuff is at the top on all of my accounts.

You're right. I'm wrong. There's an end to it.
It's not really a question of right vs wrong when it's so subjective; it's possible for two parties to disagree about how they interpret this game and for both to be right. I think the reason so many threads end up with circular arguments is often because we're programmed to think in black and white, mutually exclusive, binary opposites. But the scope of ED is plenty wide enough to accommodate more than one way of approaching it.

You are right about there being lots of arcade-like elements to ED, especially the combat which is a deliberate update to the 1984 mechanic rather than Frontier's, but for me they live in reasonable harmony with the more sim-like elements. It's not a direction I would have personally chosen, but it works. On the other hand there's a user called Bounder who I don't think plays the game any more but who occasionally pops up on the forums, and he has some very robust opinions on how disappointing and retrograde the move away from the 1990s games was. In general he's not wrong either, he's just on a more extreme part of the game ↔ sim curve.

The button where you go to your profile still shows my old avatar, weird.
There's an odd caching thing that happens with forum avatars; I think it's to do with whatever load-spreading is used on the systems that ultimately serve the pages because there doesn't seem to be a predictable pattern to it. Eventually everything settles down but when the new forums first went live it was taking up to a day for my changes to propagate. Even then, as you've noticed, the changes would appear at different rates in different parts of the interface. Local caching in the browser probably doesn't help either. You just have to give it time.

BTW in all this discussion I've only just noticed, thanks to everyone's enlarged avatars, that the STORE button icon isn't just a stylised version of the arx symbol but is a bag. An actual shopping bag, with actual handles. I know there's precedent for logos to outlive the items that inspired them, hence the analogue handset icon for phones or the floppy disk save icon. But a shopping bag? For ship kits? I think I've been triggered by that more than by the colour now.

FD, I don't mind you trying to sell things, but why, oh why, is the STORE option, on the main system screen now in bright BLUE ?

As it's the only blue area on the screen It is very distracting. I am now looking for a screen overlay, in traditional orange, to cover it up.

"ED used to immersive, now it's a shop front."

"immersive" .... its also got a solo/open mode with an option to log out in the middle of a fight to avoid consequences, the ability to block other players, but the shop icon being blue is where you draw the the line? It seems the gripe is surely more with the art design then immersion.

So people want a single colour palette scheme of orange? how very dull...

"ED used to immersive, now it's a shop front."

"immersive" .... its also got a solo/open mode with an option to log out in the middle of a fight to avoid consequences, the ability to block other players, but the shop icon being blue is where you draw the the line? It seems the gripe is surely more with the art design then immersion.

So people want a single colour palette scheme of orange? how very dull...

And none of those things have ever been supported by me, others have taken the view that a drip is better than a flood, of course now the flood has come...

Back
Top Bottom