ED VR - upgrade thoughts - Rift CV1 to Rift S

They drain the battery quite fast. Only way is to remove the batteries when iam not using them.

For disabling controllers you can use a small bat-file that helps:
1. To disable the launch of the Oculus (to conserve powwer in controllers) and switches the main source sound/microphone (so the sound was recorded not from the Oculus).
To begin, download the program Nircmd - http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/nircmd.html , Unpack into a folder, next to it create two new text documents. One document for to start, the second one for to stop.

Please pay attention!! The names of the audio devices need to substitute your own (Instead of the Rift,Rift_Microphone,Speakers,Microphone). You'll need to rename them. You can see the exactly name and change it in the Control Panel -> Sound , in the playback and recording tabs.

In the first (Starting) document is a text Notepad enter the following:

cd /d "%~dp0" && ( if exist "%temp%\getadmin.vbs" del "%temp%\getadmin.vbs" ) && fsutil dirty query %systemdrive% 1>nul 2>nul || ( echo Set UAC = CreateObject^("Shell.Application"^) : UAC.ShellExecute "cmd.exe", "/k cd ""%~sdp0"" && %~s0 %params%", "", "runas", 1 >> "%temp%\getadmin.vbs" && "%temp%\getadmin.vbs" && exit /B )
net start "Oculus VR Runtime Service" /y
nircmd setdefaultsounddevice "Rift" 1
nircmd setdefaultsounddevice "Rift" 2
nircmd setdefaultsounddevice "Rift_Microphone" 1
nircmd setdefaultsounddevice "Rift_Microphone" 2

In the last (Ending) document is a text Notepad enter the following:

set "params=%*"
cd /d "%~dp0" && ( if exist "%temp%\getadmin.vbs" del "%temp%\getadmin.vbs" ) && fsutil dirty query %systemdrive% 1>nul 2>nul || ( echo Set UAC = CreateObject^("Shell.Application"^) : UAC.ShellExecute "cmd.exe", "/k cd ""%~sdp0"" && %~s0 %params%", "", "runas", 1 >> "%temp%\getadmin.vbs" && "%temp%\getadmin.vbs" && exit /B )
net stop "Oculus VR Runtime Service" /y
nircmd setdefaultsounddevice "Speakers" 1
nircmd setdefaultsounddevice "Speakers" 2
nircmd setdefaultsounddevice "Microphone" 1
nircmd setdefaultsounddevice "Microphone" 2

Save them in the extension .bat

Run and check. The script will ask for administrator permission (because you need to stop and start the service), you can disable the request by cutting off the UAC.

I recently went from CV1 to Rift S and it's difficult to recommend but it also very good!

So I only play in VR and so the headset etc. is very important to me but I think it's important to note a couple of points:

1. I bought a brand new Rift S for £400 and sold my CV1 for £200 so the cost to upgrade was £200
2. It's bonus time of the year so I had spare cash that needed a home

If it weren't for these 2 points I would probably be disapointed but because I've been able to remove the financial side of it in my mind I'm really pleased with the S.

Everything looks sharper I haven't done much tweaking just turned HMD down to 1 and turned on FXAA and get solid 80FPS (the headsets limit) pretty much everywhere (except menus I get frame drops whenever I open menus).

I can still see SDE it's something that I can see very easily but actually doesn't bother me that much. It's definitely a step up from the CV1 but my advice would be that if you don't feel like VR in Elite is the very peak of gaming (which I do) you may be disapointed with the upgrade.

I do prefer not having the sensors on my desk and the headset is certainly more comfortable, tracking has worked perfectly for me and I've done a few 4+ hour sessions without too much trouble (headaches on the first run but due to the straps being too tight).

If you're like me where you don't want to spend £1000 on an index or one of the other super high end ones but can live with losing £2-300 (depending on what you get for your CV1) then definitely go for it. If you have hesitations and think you may regret shelling out that much for essentially minor upgrades then don't. If you're not a massive fan of the CV1 you probably won't be blown away by the S.

TL:DR - The rift S marginally improves just about every aspect over the CV1 (apart from sound), but doesn't revolutionise any single part of it. If you love VR you will love the S if you're not sure on VR this won't change your mind.

Biggest problem with the Rift S i have is the large adjustment button in the back of my headset.
I get tired in my neck as i cant rest my head properly against my chair.
Another thing is the hand controllers that cant be turned of. They drain the battery quite fast. Only way is to remove the batteries when iam not using them.
And playing at evening/night in a dark room can sometimes mess up the tracking. It require some descent background light.
Hmm.. My controllers never turn on in the first place when I play ED..... Why do you turn your controllers on?

Late to this, but as I've just picked up a Rift-s to replace a CV1 and had a DK2 before that I'll throw in my tuppence worth.
Dk2 was perfect for elite... except for the low res.
CV1 - never used it much as I would have liked as It was mainly for ED and not room VR - set up meant I was always too close too sensors - lots of faffing about . Found CV1 headset too heavy and really dilsiked the earpieces (I prefer no headphones - have a good sound system).
Rift-s - ideal - no need for sensors and returns the freedom of movement I had with DK2 but with decent visuals - headset fits well - feels much lighter doesn't make my forehead sweat. - no headphones - just recessed sound - ideal for me (everyone else will hate it).
Very, very pleased with the "s", glad to be shot of the CV1 - suspect anyone who does a lot of "room" scale game playing and needs headphones would probably be best sticking with the older set though.

Hmm.. My controllers never turn on in the first place when I play ED..... Why do you turn your controllers on?
They turn on automaticly when i start the Rift application . I never use the controllers, and it take just a week before i have to replace the batteries.

Not everyone with a CV1 will have the same visual experience. With the cv1 the levels of supersampling you use are critical. At first Elite looked really rough when I first tried it but after tweaking the graphics and using a mix of super sampling and AA it got much better. And the better my video card got, the better the image and frame rates.

I have the cv1, Rift-S and Index now. I think it's best to upgrade you video card and CPU if you want things to look good in VR. The Rift-S and Index have higher resolutions but that means they demand more horsepower.

They turn on automaticly when i start the Rift application . I never use the controllers, and it take just a week before i have to replace the batteries.
Hmm, that doesn't happen on mine. I've been playing for 3 hours or so. I start Oculus from desktop and click to launch ED from my library. I slide the headset on while the loading screen goes on. Controllers never turn on and I never touch them...

Now, if I put the headset on before launching ED it will load up my home, and complain that it can't see the controllers. As I recall I still have to touch them to wake them up, but could that be what you're doing? Mine go to sleep when I'm not touching them and don't come on if I don't pick them up.

I start Oculus from desktop and click to launch ED from my library. I slide the headset on while the loading screen goes on. Controllers never turn on and I never touch them...

Same with me. I am starting the ED from my desktop first. And after that Oculus automatically starts itself when it determines that the application running is compatible with VR.

Controllers never turn on and I never touch them...

Again same with me.

Hmm, that doesn't happen on mine. I've been playing for 3 hours or so. I start Oculus from desktop and click to launch ED from my library. I slide the headset on while the loading screen goes on. Controllers never turn on and I never touch them...

Now, if I put the headset on before launching ED it will load up my home, and complain that it can't see the controllers. As I recall I still have to touch them to wake them up, but could that be what you're doing? Mine go to sleep when I'm not touching them and don't come on if I don't pick them up.
Thats odd as i never touch my controllers. They are actually behind my screen on the desk. When i put on my headset, they are allways visible in my home, even if i have not touched them.

A small update,

I messed around with settings and straps on my CV1 and it has started to look better. Perhaps I just need to spend more time turning knobs and dials.
Been using it for more and longer sessions.

What about audio - what are you guys using? All reviews of the Rift S says the audio is crap.

Got some good quality ear buds or a decent headset - I have buds and a wireless Astro A50 which fits over the halo perfect.

Status update: After fidling with settings, I have gotten a clarity that is acceptable.

Downside is the fact that ASW kicks in almost all the time. I have been looking at posts from people that run insane settings and claiming they observe a 90hz butter smooth experience - same people run rigs that are either on par or slightly inferior to mine. How the h... is that possible? Either are people not aware of what they are getting, or my computer runs on half impulse.

Next problem is the comfort of the CV1. It really is uncomfortable for longer sessions. I have tried all sorts of things that I watched on youtube, but it just isnt comfortable for more than 30 mins tops. Especially not when using glasses.

But all in all, my VR experience with ED has gone up considerably. Just need one of those magic low specced computers that can run HMD at 2.0 with everything else at high and still get "butter smooth 90 hz".

My rig:
Ryzen 2600x (stock)
MSI armor RTX 2070
16gig 3200

My current settings:
View attachment 140117
There is something VERY wrong here - you have a 2070 and you're running with settings so low? People play on higher settings on a 970.

So this Rift S, is it a good "first time" VR rig? My only other VR was PSVR, and IIRC Rift S is similar in construction (which I like). I'm guessing it has better resolution than PSVR based on comments in another thread.

Oh, and what is "ASW"?

Yep I'd recommend it. I own a Rift, Rift S, and HP Reverb, and generally prefer my Rift S for comfort, fewer god-rays, and the wide sweet spot A pretty good first time rig.

What is ASW!?!?!?!
Asynchronous SpaceWarp!!!!!!

I basically means your computer only has to pump out half the frames of the Headset’s refresh rate, so with the Rift S, 40fps. The user still sees 80fps.

Clever software guesses and fills in the missing frames - not always fantastically well, so you can get graphical artefacts, like wobbly HUD lines.

ASW version 2.0 is really good, hardly any artefacts, but the game needs to send some information to the ASW software which ED currently doesn’t do.

Does the S have a camera on the front that allows you to see the real world via a shortcut command? THinking for seeing the keyboard to type in with the galactic map and such like.

Does the S have a camera on the front that allows you to see the real world via a shortcut command? THinking for seeing the keyboard to type in with the galactic map and such like.
You can do a double-click of the Home button (which also happens to be the Xbox button on my controller) and it gives you a fairly grainy black&white “PassThrough” view. It’s apparently really good with the new RTX series cards, but it’s a bit GameBoy Camera standard on my GTX 1080 :)

Good enough for moving around and finding the keyboard, not quite good enough to make the letters out on the keys.

Edit: actually I’ve never tried looking really closely at the keyboard, so I’ll give it a try next time I’m in.

Last edited:
Top Bottom