ED without gankers is..

Thankfully whether or not I play in Open these days is mostly based on if I'm in a PvP mood or not. I've long grown tired of typing "o7" as the only meaningful friendly interaction with other players. When CGs come back, I may wing up with some players to test out some of my very function-specific ships (like my double-barreled Vulture), but I'll go into that CG mentally prepared to be ganked. Point being, switching to Solo to avoid gankers at places like Engineer bases no longer feels like a punishment, because what meaningful interaction would I have with friendly players? I type "o7" to you, and "o7" to you, and "o7" to everybody! Now that is boring.
It's sentiments like this that make me glad for a mode system even if I virtually never use anything other than Open.
Yeah, I pick the mode for my mood. It popped into my head when I was replying to another thread what the closest actual real-life comparison to PvPers could be, and it's just... overly enthusiastic party-students.
The kind of guys that are great fun to hit the club with and get a few drinks, and usually very popular among people their own age, but you'll find them annoying as hell if you're trying to write an essay and all you can hear is some inconsiderate jerk's bass blasting down the hallway, or if you're on the night shift and your neighbours have decided that today is the perfect day to use power tools, or you're simply trying to have a quiet night watching TV and keep getting interrupted by loud noises.

Basically, people who are great if you're in the mood to party, but if you're not in the mood to party then you have to put up with them anyway. However, thanks to modes, in this game you really can pick your neighbours if you want to.

Boring. We patrolled Eravate last night for about an hour during prime gank time. Nada. Where was everybody? We saw a bunch of noobs even some in Kraits and Pythons but not a single "wanted" baddie looking for action. Peaceful police action is nothing to brag about. It was one of those nights when I got the feeling a party was going on somewhere and I wasn't invited.
Zarek ordered Ryan to stop the attacks, because FD caved in on the Drag demands of the Overlord.
It's logical there are no gankers around.

Z0

Why sadly?
It's you that differentiate human beings and NPCs. Imagine this game without any enemies...
Sadly because the NPCs are nothing to fear, so no excitement. It would be a better game if I could worry about solid squares on the radar too (and it would help level my skills up a bit - suppose I could find a group for that but I'm not usually a socially-minded player).

The Replicated Man

T
Boring. We patrolled Eravate last night for about an hour during prime gank time. Nada. Where was everybody? We saw a bunch of noobs even some in Kraits and Pythons but not a single "wanted" baddie looking for action. Peaceful police action is nothing to brag about. It was one of those nights when I got the feeling a party was going on somewhere and I wasn't invited.
You and I both missed out on the Action in Shinrarta. Tonight is Friday night so more should be on.

I've been spending the past few days in a lightly engineered mining cobra making 50 million a run doing void opals!

I can tell you where they are. They and me included even though I don't primarily gank (I find it boring) are not playing right now. Since the removal of CGs there is no real hotspot left. Except for Founder's world maybe but this is less of a PvP hotspot than a hotspot for pretty much anything.
PvP is now totally underrepresented, there is no mission, credit, merit, material or any reward for PvP. And now we don't really have a place to go. I assume that even the gankers find it boring to only hunt sidewinders in Eravate. The lack of rewards for PvPing, lack of hotspots and some to-do in the balancing section really makes it unappealing. The recent DG2 and Eravate welcome back event was the last thing. It was clear then that after that a good chunk of PvPers will take a break. I can tell you first hand that some names are already enjoying other games where PvP is balanced and rewarding.

Once a big update hits the game or an event is on its way where alot of players are concentrated in one systems, you can expect alot of PvPers and gankers. But as it is now? Enjoy the unchallenging and boring PvE aspect of Elite. You won't find any meaningful PvP now, some pre-arranged fights sure but no gankfest or armarda of wanted ships. These days are gone and we may or may not come back if PvP finally gets a place in Elite.

I must be a noob, because I find NPCs challenging - sometimes too challenging. Perhaps this is because I fly modest ships with modest engineering (and more than a couple build around shieldless designs) instead of G5 Cutters with 50 shield boosters. When NPCs become challenging to the "god ships", that's when I quit.

Now I will say that before the update I did not find NPCs inspiring to fight, then again I don't find most gankers inspiring to fight either. But every once in awhile a player will surprise me and use skill and clever builds of modest ships instead of a "god ship" to kill me.

... then again I don't find most gankers inspiring to fight either. But every once in awhile a player will surprise me and use skill and clever builds of modest ships instead of a "god ship" to kill me.

A long time ago in a galaxy right here...
I used to PvP in a FAS built for SR, it was fun. Then Wings came about and I was billy no mates so I swapped to an SR cobra 3 and boosted away if I got outnumbered, it was fun. Then Engineers came about and I just pretty much threw in the towel, it just became no fun to fight the latest engineered meta build FDL because I don't have the time / inclination to get up to that level. ED PvP used to be more fun when it was vanilla ships fighting for a couple of mins with both parties close to destruction before the conclusion (disclaimer, this is my view, other viewpoints may vary)

Good to know I'm not missing anything while I'm in France. :) Gimme a shout when the savages get uppity again. ;)

P. S. Try deciat. ;)

I still blame GARD for not having a PS4 contingent. We savages are left to run amok!

A wing of 2 or 3 from the only lawful PS4 wing showed up when I was in Eravate the other day.

But it turned out they were just hunting a wing with known combat loggers, and could not care less about my Z0 evangelism. So actually both they and I were in Eravate trying to kill the same scrub from that wing, but he just switched to solo.

So I had a friendly 1v1 with the wing lead while the others looked on ;-)

I can tell you where they are. They and me included even though I don't primarily gank (I find it boring) are not playing right now. Since the removal of CGs there is no real hotspot left. Except for Founder's world maybe but this is less of a PvP hotspot than a hotspot for pretty much anything.
PvP is now totally underrepresented, there is no mission, credit, merit, material or any reward for PvP. And now we don't really have a place to go. I assume that even the gankers find it boring to only hunt sidewinders in Eravate. The lack of rewards for PvPing, lack of hotspots and some to-do in the balancing section really makes it unappealing. The recent DG2 and Eravate welcome back event was the last thing. It was clear then that after that a good chunk of PvPers will take a break. I can tell you first hand that some names are already enjoying other games where PvP is balanced and rewarding.

Once a big update hits the game or an event is on its way where alot of players are concentrated in one systems, you can expect alot of PvPers and gankers. But as it is now? Enjoy the unchallenging and boring PvE aspect of Elite. You won't find any meaningful PvP now, some pre-arranged fights sure but no gankfest or armarda of wanted ships. These days are gone and we may or may not come back if PvP finally gets a place in Elite.
I am sorry that veteran PvPers are bored out of their gourds. However, as a newish scrub I am having the time of my life learning to PvP. It's amazing.

o7

Welcome to Elite: Dangerous, where instancing in Open is a HUGE issue.

Oh...wait... you are a seasoned player... and this is the first time you experience this?

I am sorry that veteran PvPers are bored out of their gourds. However, as a newish scrub I am having the time of my life learning to PvP. It's amazing.

o7
You have no idea how happy I am to hear that, SL. PvP opens a whole new level of game to be played for sure, similar to graduating from riding a trike around the playground to training for cross country enduro cycling runs, or perhaps competing in the Tour de France some day.

Just keep in mind when you hear someone like Crimson say that, that they're possessed of thousands of hours doing nothing but engaging all different aspects of PvP. To keep their engagement the bar is set a lot higher than it is for the noob just trying it out for the first time (relatively speaking).

o7

Top Bottom