Release EDastro.com - Elite Dangerous Astrometrics

Introducing EDastro.com, Elite: Dangerous Astrometrics.

Elite: Dangerous Astrometrics is a website devoted to providing maps, graphs, charts, and data extracted from the Elite: Dangerous game, via player submissions to EDSM.net, via programs such as ED-Discovery.

It started out as an experiment, downloading the EDSM data dumps and building a local copy of the database, and then attempting to make some visualizations. This rapidly grew into a wide range of maps and graphs.

The name "Astrometrics" is intended in the Star Trek: Voyager sense of the term, relating to cartography and visualizations, as well as data and analysis, rather than the real world "Astrometry" which refers to precision measurements of stellar objects in the sky.

(FYI, there's a thread in the Exploration section for this as well, where the discussions originally started)

Features
  • Maps of discovered systems and bodies
  • Additional maps breaking out systems by mass codes, stars by age group or type, etc.
  • Charts and Graphs of body distributions
  • Spreadsheets of rare or interesting subtypes
  • Videos of exploration history recorded by EDSM
  • Video creator to animate your own exploration history
  • Exploration tips, and ship configuration templates

Some examples:

(click for expanded views)

My own exploration history, created on the website:

[video=youtube;z4Y8JrEdYTY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z4Y8JrEdYTY[/video]

Star class distribution:

Visited/Discovered star systems:

Discovered systems history heatmap:

[video=youtube;-NV-rcF4BqU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-NV-rcF4BqU[/video]

Riding along with the Gnosis got me some up-close encounters with Thargoid Hydras, so I've updated the compass rose to use their nice 4-pointed outline instead of a Cyclops.

thargoid-rose-hydra-small.jpg

A truly amazing bit of work Commander!
I’m on PS4 do you know if there is anything I can do to get my journey logs in a similar fashion?
Once again....brilliant utility, I especially like your builds. Who would have thought the Krait could be so jumpy lol!

Video Length

Is there a way how i can increase the number of jumps in the travel vids? Because i am missing about 17k jumps or so. I know there is the 18k frames limit but my vid stopped at 12k frames?!

Hi there! I can bump up the limit a bit. But mainly the way to get more into it, is to increase the speed in the settings. When it allows more jumps per second, that lets the video include more.

Looking at the program, it looks like I wasn't tracking frames correctly, in that it wasn't taking into account the video speed quite right. I've fixed that, so it should now allow 36k frames total.

If you don't mind sharing, where did you get your overlay for the galactic regions? I tried to find a clean map of the new regions a while ago, but the only one I could find was also overlaid with the community regions as well.

Thanks for making such a brilliant site and utility. It really is invaluable. I don't suppose you'd consider creating a new map category just for Earth-likes, would you? It would be interesting to see where humanity could flee to, if it had to emigrate from the Thargoids.

Any possibility of updating the travel history video creator to work with console journals pulled from FDev? I realise that this is probably a non-trivial change, so "AhahahaNO" is an acceptable answer - but I also recognise the principle of "If you don't ask, you don't get..." :)

Why would you need to? You can import those journals to edsm.
EDSM travelmap is static - the animated one EDAstro produces is a a nicer touch & a more pleasing way of visualising a journey.

Unless I'm missing something, the Video Creator requires you to browse to a local copy of your journal to upload, and creates the animation of your journey off that. That's only possible for PC journals. I don't think it can pull from my EDSM profile?

Yeah, I don't think I have a way to do that currently. I'll keep it in mind though, as something to investigate.

If there were a way to export the travel history in journal format from EDSM, that would solve it (or if they could export CSV or similar, I could work with that too). Right now the only way I know how to get it out of EDSM is via their API, and that has a couple of limitations. It's rate limited, for one, and since you can't pull the whole history on one lookup, it can take a while, which requires storing the history and gradually building it. Plus, it requires an API key to authenticate the user, and so far I haven't set up user accounts on my side to correlate and track that way.

Hi,

I know this is my first post on the forum but I just have some suggestion that might help get a better travel experience :)

I was wondering if there is a list of all the markers on the map. When they are bunched up it is really hard to select the right one. This a big problem with minor POI.
Also may i recommend you use Capitals for all letters? the difference with a capital I and small l is really inconvenient. As I am on Console I can't always Copy/paste.
I hope this is of some use!

Greetings!

Hi,

I know this is my first post on the forum but I just have some suggestion that might help get a better travel experience :)

I was wondering if there is a list of all the markers on the map. When they are bunched up it is really hard to select the right one. This a big problem with minor POI.
Also may i recommend you use Capitals for all letters? the difference with a capital I and small l is really inconvenient. As I am on Console I can't always Copy/paste.
I hope this is of some use!

Greetings!

Hi there! The names and text for all of the POI markers come straight from the GMP data on EDSM. So it's however they've capitalized things. But there is a list of them available in a spreadsheet here: https://edastro.com/mapcharts/files/edsmPOI.csv

Hope that helps! :)

Top Bottom