Release EDDI 3.3 - Bring your cockpit to life

EDDI - Bring your cockpit to life

I'm pleased to announce that EDDI 3.0 is available. Now that EDDI is being maintained by EDCD under a new set of URLs, we felt it was time to start a new thread so that we can keep the first post up to date. This thread supersedes the old thread.

In game:
EDDI is a significant and customisable upgrade to your shipboard COVAS personality sim, available at any starport and even out in the black via Subspace Torrented File Upgrade.

Out of game:
EDDI is a Windows desktop program that can run either standalone or as a VoiceAttack plug-in. Actions like jumping to a new system, buying and selling commodities, entering a signal source, scanning a celestial object, and many more will trigger voice responses. EDDI uses the journal log and the Frontier companion API to obtain information and track your actions.

When used as a VoiceAttack plug-in, the events that EDDI recognizes can be used to generate VA commands. For example, you can have VA automatically stow your landing gear when you undock.

EDDI also optionally integrates with third-party trade and exploration tools such as EDDN, EDSM and EDDB. Thus you both contribute data to these widely-used tools and benefit from the information that they provide.

Demo

The easiest way to explain some of what what EDDI does is to see it in action. Here are some sample videos:
Scanning a star:
[video=youtube_share;G0U8x3M5Cis]
]Source: https://youtu.be/G0U8x3M5Cis[/video]

Scanning a planet:

Leaving supercruise and docking at Jameson Memorial:

Docking, providing traders with information on what to buy and sell:

Leaving dock, reminding you about your lack of limpets before you reach that asteroid field:

Configuring VoiceAttack to automatically stow your landing gear when you undock:

Downloads and documentation

Regardless of whether you are using EDDI with VoiceAttack or standalone, you should start by firing up the EDDI application so that you can configure the relevant information. Note that you should not have the EDDI application running at the same time as VoiceAttack.

Here are the download page and some other useful links:

Many tutorials are also available on YouTube: simply search for "EDDI+Elite".

FAQ

Q: What's with this new version of EDDI? I thought that jgm wrote it?
A: jgm found himself unable to continue maintaining EDDI due to lack of time, and so handed over to a team consisting of Hoodathunk, T'Kael and myself acting as part of the Elite Dangerous Community Developers (EDCD). This involved changing the GitHub repo and update servers to be under the EDCD account, so that any future staffing changes can be done seamlessly.

Q: What are the system requirements for EDDI?
A: Any Windows system capable of running the game.

Q: Why is Windows Defender complaining when I run the installer?
A: Windows Defender objects to anything that is not code-signed. Unfortunately that's not very practical for an open source project. Click "More Info" then "Run Anyway".

Q: Where does EDDI keep its data?
A: Everything is in %APPDATA%\EDDI. There are no registry entries.

Q: Is EDDI open source?
A: Yes, at https://github.com/EDCD/EDDI under the Apache 2 licence. If you are a techie sort you are welcome to submit issues and pull requests. Join us in the EDCD Discord!

Q: I am running an older version of EDDI and my updates aren't being recognised by EDDN, why?
A: FD changed the data schema in 2.4. Only EDDI 2.4.2 and later are using the right schema, so we asked EDDN to ignore earlier versions.

Q: Is "Subspace Torrented File Upgrade" an acronym?
A: It is now.

Last edited:
I'm sorry if this has been asked before, but I did a quick keyword search in the old thread and didn't find an answer.

I've only recently discovered EDDI and been having a blast coming up with VA commands that take advantage of it to see how far I can stretch it, so I want to first off say what an incredible job you people have been doing on this amazing project.

Now for my question, I've finally gotten a second account to be able to go out into the depths while still having a presence in the bubble to interact with my friends, and I was wondering if, other than creating a second user account on my computer for my second account, is there another viable method for using EDDI with both accounts without logging in and out every time I change my mind as to what type of gameplay I am interested in?

Thanks in advance for the help and for the great work you've been doing on this.

Great application. I just recently started using EEDI and VoiceAttack. Right now, I prefer to run EDDI as standalone. When playing around with VoiceAttack, it automatically loads the EDDi2.4.2 profile which then causes conflicts with other VA add-ons. In EDDI under the VoiceAttack responder tab, I have UNchecked Plugin enabled and yet VA continues to automatically load the EEDI profile. I have also completely removed VA and EDDI (using an uninstaller tool - Revo Uninstller Pro), then seperately reinstalling both, repeat the unistall process and reinstall in different order.

As a work around, if relocate the EDDI to a different directory, then obviously VA will not see EDDI.

Any other suggestions?
(BTW - running Windows7 64 bit)

Thanks.

Make sure there is no EDDI folder in your VA\Apps folder. On mine, which was standalone and not purchased on steam it's in "C:\Program Files (X86)\VoiceAttack\Apps". VoiceAttack reads the contents of the APP folder on startup. Any folders that are there are checked and any plugins in those folders are loaded; assuming you have enabled plugin support in Voice Attack.

Last edited:
Alas multiple CMDRs on the same OS login is not yet a supported scenario. Definitely one for attention, but we can pretty much give up on FD-side support for it.

The thing is, we have limited dev resources and need to pick our targets very carefully.

That's what I assumed.
I saw somewhere online, maybe on the github for EDDI say that he used a batch process to swap in and out the files in his %APPDATA% but seemed to imply that it was not without its set of headaches.

Having a different user on my desktop is a very small price to pay to use EDDI with both CMDRs anyway. :)

Thanks for the prompt reply.

Another question, this time about functions:
I know there is an event for Body Scanned, are you aware of any plans on frontier's part to eventually include in their API events for other scanning types, either regular ship scans or more detailed scans such as kill warrants or manifest scanning?

I can think of a few scripts I'd work on if those were available but I'm guessing that Frontier is probably tight lipped about what they want and don't want to include in their future iterations of the API (and also, I have to assume that basic ship scanning events would probably be a bit too taxing on the servers since it can happen dozens of times per minute so I'm not holding my breath).

@verticalblank
Another market error for you guys.

2017-10-31T17:42:01 CompanionAppService:CommoditiesFromProfile [W] Commodity definition errors: [{"name":"Power Transfer Bus","category":"Machinery","avgprice":2065,"rare":null,"buyprice":0,"stock":0,"stockbracket":0,"sellprice":2420,"demand":146,"demandbracket":3,"StatusFlags":[],"EDDBID":0,"EDName":"PowerTransferConduits"}]

Is there any other voice packs for EDDI? Besides the 3 with the program.

It uses any TTS voices you have installed in your OS. I use the Ivona Gwenneth voice (Welsh), but I also have Amy and Emma installed (both Ivona), as well as the ATT Audrey voice (that's not very compatible with EDDI). The Ivona voices, in my experience, are the best voices. YOu set the voice used in the "Text-to-Speech" tab in EDDI.

Last edited:
Make sure there is no EDDI folder in your VA\Apps folder. On mine, which was standalone and not purchased on steam it's in "C:\Program Files (X86)\VoiceAttack\Apps". VoiceAttack reads the contents of the APP folder on startup. Any folders that are there are checked and any plugins in those folders are loaded; assuming you have enabled plugin support in Voice Attack.

Thanks for your reply. I did not see it last night before I released the answer was in my question and tried to delete my post.

Is there any other voice packs for EDDI? Besides the 3 with the program.

It uses any TTS voices you have installed in your OS. I use the Ivona Gwenneth voice (Welsh), but I also have Amy and Emma
installed (both Ivona), as well as the ATT Audrey voice (that's not very compatible with EDDI). The Ivona voices, in my experience, are the best voices. YOu set the voice used in the "Text-to-Speech" tab in EDDI.

I use CereProc's Lauren and it sounds great.

Last edited:
@verticalblank
Another market error for you guys.

2017-10-31T17:42:01 CompanionAppService:CommoditiesFromProfile [W] Commodity definition errors: [{"name":"Power Transfer Bus","category":"Machinery","avgprice":2065,"rare":null,"buyprice":0,"stock":0,"stockbracket":0,"sellprice":2420,"demand":146,"demandbracket":3,"StatusFlags":[],"EDDBID":0,"EDName":"PowerTransferConduits"}]

Cheers, Hoodathunk has confirmed that one fixed for the next release.

It's been a long time since I checked this out. Great to see its independant of VA now. Looking forward to giving it a go!

It uses any TTS voices you have installed in your OS. I use the Ivona Gwenneth voice (Welsh), but I also have Amy and Emma installed (both Ivona), as well as the ATT Audrey voice (that's not very compatible with EDDI). The Ivona voices, in my experience, are the best voices. YOu set the voice used in the "Text-to-Speech" tab in EDDI.

I use CereProc's Lauren and it sounds great.

Any tips on how to find these TTS voice packs? Do you install direct via Windows somehow or is there a 3rd party site or something with them? Wondering if there is somewhere you can listen to them prior to install too.

Can you use VA voices as TTS voices? ie without using VA directly. Probably not but thought I would ask :)

Which ones sounds the most like the official ED computer voice in your opinion?

Cheers!
AD

Personally, I use Ivona Amy (British English) and turn down the voice processing a little to 45 in the TTS tab in EDDI. It sounds very, very close to the in game computer voice (to me anyway).

EDDI keeps telling me that there are commodity errors found and asking me to forward my log to the developers. What do I need to send and who do I need to send it to?

EDDI keeps telling me that there are commodity errors found and asking me to forward my log to the developers. What do I need to send and who do I need to send it to?

If you press Windows+R and enter %APPDATA%\EDDI you will get a window onto EDDI's config folder. The log in question is called "EDDI.log" in that folder.

If you send it to me, preferably zipped, via a private message that would be fine.

In hindsight this was not the right way to go about gathering such error logs. It will be stopped in the next patch and we won't be doing it that way again.

If you press Windows+R and enter %APPDATA%\EDDI you will get a window onto EDDI's config folder. The log in question is called "EDDI.log" in that folder.

If you send it to me, preferably zipped, via a private message that would be fine.

In hindsight this was not the right way to go about gathering such error logs. It will be stopped in the next patch and we won't be doing it that way again.
I have the log file zipped but there doesn't seem to be any way to attach files to the private messages on here?

Any tips on how to find these TTS voice packs? Do you install direct via Windows somehow or is there a 3rd party site or something with them? Wondering if there is somewhere you can listen to them prior to install too.
YOu can go to a number of TTS reader sites and purchase the TTS voice packs. Do a google search for Ivona Amy and you should get a few sites selling all the voices.

Aussiedroid said:
Can you use VA voices as TTS voices? ie without using VA directly. Probably not but thought I would ask :)
VA voice packs are actual recorded spoken lines, by real people. You can get a couple profiles that use the TTS voices, but the4y have to be specified in each an every command using them, VA does not have an option to use the system voices by default.

Aussiedroid said:
Which ones sounds the most like the official ED computer voice in your opinion?
A lot of folks seem to think that the Ivona Amy voice sounds pretty close.

I have the log file zipped but there doesn't seem to be any way to attach files to the private messages on here?

Ah. A link on DropBox or similar would do. Or, to be honest, if you view the log in any text editor such as Notepad, you may be able to identify the relevant section and post it here. Just look for lines like Suvi Anwar posted:

Ah. A link on DropBox or similar would do. Or, to be honest, if you view the log in any text editor such as Notepad, you may be able to identify the relevant section and post it here. Just look for lines like Suvi Anwar posted:
Okay, I opened the file up and there were several lines with the "Commodity definition errors" (see below) but they are all for the same commodity.

Code:
2017-11-01T19:42:07 CompanionAppService:CommoditiesFromProfile [W] Commodity definition errors: [{"name":"Power Transfer Bus","category":"Machinery","avgprice":2065,"rare":null,"buyprice":0,"stock":0,"stockbracket":0,"sellprice":2379,"demand":195,"demandbracket":3,"StatusFlags":[],"EDDBID":0,"EDName":"PowerTransferConduits"}] 
2017-11-01T19:53:09 CompanionAppService:CommoditiesFromProfile [W] Commodity definition errors: [{"name":"Power Transfer Bus","category":"Machinery","avgprice":2065,"rare":null,"buyprice":0,"stock":0,"stockbracket":0,"sellprice":2379,"demand":195,"demandbracket":3,"StatusFlags":[],"EDDBID":0,"EDName":"PowerTransferConduits"}] 
2017-11-01T23:12:36 CompanionAppService:CommoditiesFromProfile [W] Commodity definition errors: [{"name":"Power Transfer Bus","category":"Machinery","avgprice":2065,"rare":null,"buyprice":0,"stock":0,"stockbracket":0,"sellprice":2379,"demand":195,"demandbracket":3,"StatusFlags":[],"EDDBID":0,"EDName":"PowerTransferConduits"}] 
2017-11-01T23:24:12 CompanionAppService:CommoditiesFromProfile [W] Commodity definition errors: [{"name":"Power Transfer Bus","category":"Machinery","avgprice":2065,"rare":null,"buyprice":0,"stock":0,"stockbracket":0,"sellprice":2379,"demand":195,"demandbracket":3,"StatusFlags":[],"EDDBID":0,"EDName":"PowerTransferConduits"}] 
2017-11-01T23:48:37 CompanionAppService:CommoditiesFromProfile [W] Commodity definition errors: [{"name":"Power Transfer Bus","category":"Machinery","avgprice":2065,"rare":null,"buyprice":0,"stock":0,"stockbracket":0,"sellprice":2362,"demand":218,"demandbracket":3,"StatusFlags":[],"EDDBID":0,"EDName":"PowerTransferConduits"}] 
2017-11-01T23:54:55 CompanionAppService:CommoditiesFromProfile [W] Commodity definition errors: [{"name":"Power Transfer Bus","category":"Machinery","avgprice":2065,"rare":null,"buyprice":0,"stock":0,"stockbracket":0,"sellprice":2362,"demand":218,"demandbracket":3,"StatusFlags":[],"EDDBID":0,"EDName":"PowerTransferConduits"}] 
2017-11-02T00:08:24 CompanionAppService:CommoditiesFromProfile [W] Commodity definition errors: [{"name":"Power Transfer Bus","category":"Machinery","avgprice":2065,"rare":null,"buyprice":0,"stock":0,"stockbracket":0,"sellprice":2362,"demand":218,"demandbracket":3,"StatusFlags":[],"EDDBID":0,"EDName":"PowerTransferConduits"}] 
2017-11-02T00:17:15 CompanionAppService:CommoditiesFromProfile [W] Commodity definition errors: [{"name":"Power Transfer Bus","category":"Machinery","avgprice":2065,"rare":null,"buyprice":0,"stock":0,"stockbracket":0,"sellprice":2362,"demand":218,"demandbracket":3,"StatusFlags":[],"EDDBID":0,"EDName":"PowerTransferConduits"}] 
2017-11-02T00:41:59 CompanionAppService:CommoditiesFromProfile [W] Commodity definition errors: [{"name":"Power Transfer Bus","category":"Machinery","avgprice":2065,"rare":null,"buyprice":0,"stock":0,"stockbracket":0,"sellprice":2450,"demand":91,"demandbracket":3,"StatusFlags":[],"EDDBID":0,"EDName":"PowerTransferConduits"}] 
2017-11-02T01:13:32 CompanionAppService:CommoditiesFromProfile [W] Commodity definition errors: [{"name":"Power Transfer Bus","category":"Machinery","avgprice":2065,"rare":null,"buyprice":0,"stock":0,"stockbracket":0,"sellprice":2450,"demand":91,"demandbracket":3,"StatusFlags":[],"EDDBID":0,"EDName":"PowerTransferConduits"}] 
2017-11-02T02:20:46 CompanionAppService:CommoditiesFromProfile [W] Commodity definition errors: [{"name":"Power Transfer Bus","category":"Machinery","avgprice":2065,"rare":null,"buyprice":0,"stock":0,"stockbracket":0,"sellprice":2420,"demand":146,"demandbracket":3,"StatusFlags":[],"EDDBID":0,"EDName":"PowerTransferConduits"}] 
2017-11-02T02:39:31 CompanionAppService:CommoditiesFromProfile [W] Commodity definition errors: [{"name":"Power Transfer Bus","category":"Machinery","avgprice":2065,"rare":null,"buyprice":0,"stock":0,"stockbracket":0,"sellprice":2420,"demand":146,"demandbracket":3,"StatusFlags":[],"EDDBID":0,"EDName":"PowerTransferConduits"}]

How do I get EDDI to stop telling me to send you the log?

Last edited:
YOu can go to a number of TTS reader sites and purchase the TTS voice packs. Do a google search for Ivona Amy and you should get a few sites selling all the voices.

Thanks for that. Not sure if I am looking at the legit/proper sites but just seen the prices, and think I will give it a miss for now and try the default ones first. These voice packs cost more than ED+Horizons does! lol

Top Bottom