Release EDDI 3.3 - Bring your cockpit to life

I'm struggling to find a decent idea before asking, but i failed. My problem:
there's a lot of Factions with english names, and listening to the systems political report with an italian voice is really .... hard. This somewhat links to my other post about Star and Planets english names (like the whole solar systems).
Given that localizing them all (the factions) is absurd, how could EDDI manage different languages? Should someone write the phonetics for the non-localized parts? should EDDI speaks them in english (using the default system English voice)?

Does someone has a solution? Was it already discussed?

I'm struggling to find a decent idea before asking, but i failed. My problem:
there's a lot of Factions with english names, and listening to the systems political report with an italian voice is really .... hard. This somewhat links to my other post about Star and Planets english names (like the whole solar systems).
Given that localizing them all (the factions) is absurd, how could EDDI manage different languages? Should someone write the phonetics for the non-localized parts? should EDDI speaks them in english (using the default system English voice)?

Does someone has a solution? Was it already discussed?
EDDI has support for lexicons if you'd like to provide pronunciations for some of the worst offenders (https://github.com/EDCD/EDDI/wiki/Lexicons).
You can use also the Voice() function to temporarily override your default Italian voice (https://github.com/EDCD/EDDI/wiki/Help#voice) if you'd prefer to render those snippets using an English voice.
I'm afraid that those are probably some of the best options available at the moment.

Thanks for that, T'kael.

Unfortunately text-to-speech software varies widely in its compliance with the published standards, and no body is enforcing it. Thus we have to rely on a hodge-podge of solutions.

Ok, so:
if i create a lexicon file for the italian personality, could then someone of you test it (i mean: what could sound like correct english to me could not be right for a native english speaker) so to have it officially added to EDDI?

Ok, so:
if i create a lexicon file for the italian personality, could then someone of you test it (i mean: what could sound like correct english to me could not be right for a native english speaker) so to have it officially added to EDDI?
While it would be a significant undertaking to create a default lexicon for a language, EDDI could support it.
It would only work for voices that supported the same lexicon format of course.

I have a problem with the EDDI script "Next jump". The variable event.remainingjumpsinroute is only correct if a route is calculated.
If you only select a system without route calculation, the old value of the last calculated route is called. I find this irritating.
In the game two events are used for this, "FSDTarget" and "NavRoute". Wouldn't it be better to use two scripts for this in EDDI as well?
Or what could also work if EDDI would be told that the "NavRoute" has been updated.
Is this a known problem or am I making a mistake?

Thanks for any information!

Greetings nepomuk

I have a problem with the EDDI script "Next jump". The variable event.remainingjumpsinroute is only correct if a route is calculated.
If you only select a system without route calculation, the old value of the last calculated route is called. I find this irritating.
In the game two events are used for this, "FSDTarget" and "NavRoute". Wouldn't it be better to use two scripts for this in EDDI as well?
Or what could also work if EDDI would be told that the "NavRoute" has been updated.
Is this a known problem or am I making a mistake?

Thanks for any information!

Greetings nepomuk
Something similar to this has been raised on GitHub:

I think your questions could also be answered by the proposed options on there too.

Sorry, I can't get it to work. I tried RouteDetails("set", event.system), but it's the same problem as when I use the variables from the "Next jump" script. The problem is, I or EDDI can't distinguish between "only" destination set and route calculated. The variable event.remainingjumpsinroute from the "Next jump" script is announced incorrectly when you have a route calculated and then click on a new destination. The number of jumps of the previous route calculation is announced. If EDDI would recognize that a route was computed, then one could let announce purposefully the still necessary jumps to this goal. Does anyone have an idea about this ? :unsure:

Greetings nepomuk

If you need to distinguish whether EDDI is currently following a plotted route from RouteDetails or EDDI's UI then I'd probably recommend checking whether the {destinationsystem} variable is set (since it's currently set exclusively from EDDI's routing methods).

That said, I don't particularly like having EDDI managing a route separately from (and less visible than) the in-game route plotter. I'm currently testing revisions which, among other things, revise RouteDetails() to search for / recommend next destinations while allowing the game to handle routing exclusively.

Last edited:
If you need to distinguish whether EDDI is currently following a plotted route from RouteDetails or EDDI's UI then I'd probably recommend checking whether the {destinationsystem} variable is set (since it's currently set exclusively from EDDI's routing methods).

That said, I don't particularly like having EDDI managing a route separately from (and less visible than) the in-game route plotter. I'm currently testing revisions which, among other things, revise RouteDetails() to search for / recommend next destinations while allowing the game to handle routing exclusively.
Thanks for the tip ! :)(y)

I will try this weekend.

So, I was a winner in the Tourist Beacon CG! 😁

Sorry, I can't help myself, I'm so pleased!

Here's the Winners Video on YouTube. I'm at 0:45.
Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PPMw1DCmn5s

So, I was a winner in the Tourist Beacon CG! 😁

Sorry, I can't help myself, I'm so pleased!

Here's the Winners Video on YouTube. I'm at 0:45.
Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PPMw1DCmn5s

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_xJcE9tnY6E

;)

Hello ...
I have tried a lot, but can't get it to work :cry:. Maybe someone has an idea? What do I want? The script "Next jump" outputs the number of jumps for a calculated route.
I want this statement only when I calculate a route, not when I just click on a "Select destination". The announcement comes then also, because yes still a computed route
exists in the background
Case 1: "Select destination" >> announce only the system
Case 2: "Calculate route" >> announce number of jumps and destination system
The problem I see in the changing values when the script is called. I have tried the following variables:
event.system, destinationsystem (obtained by RouteDetails("set", event.system") ), by {SetState('last_event_system', event.system)} the system
that was written to the variable the last time and by {SetState('last_dest_System', destinationsystem.name)}, the system that was written to the variable the
last time "Next jump" was called. Since the variables shift when you switch between "Select destination" and "Calculate route", I couldn't find a variant
that outputs the values correctly.
Ohweh, I hope you understand my text. Me and deepL, we made an effort.

Thanks in advance for your help

nepomuk

Hello ...
I have tried a lot, but can't get it to work :cry:. Maybe someone has an idea? What do I want? The script "Next jump" outputs the number of jumps for a calculated route.
I want this statement only when I calculate a route, not when I just click on a "Select destination". The announcement comes then also, because yes still a computed route
exists in the background
Case 1: "Select destination" >> announce only the system
Case 2: "Calculate route" >> announce number of jumps and destination system
The problem I see in the changing values when the script is called. I have tried the following variables:
event.system, destinationsystem (obtained by RouteDetails("set", event.system") ), by {SetState('last_event_system', event.system)} the system
that was written to the variable the last time and by {SetState('last_dest_System', destinationsystem.name)}, the system that was written to the variable the
last time "Next jump" was called. Since the variables shift when you switch between "Select destination" and "Calculate route", I couldn't find a variant
that outputs the values correctly.
Ohweh, I hope you understand my text. Me and deepL, we made an effort.

Thanks in advance for your help

nepomuk
Since Next jump re-triggers whenever the next system is selected as you navigate your in-game route, it's probably not a suitable event for Case 2.
The next update will include a Nav route event which will probably better suit Case 2 since it triggers only when the route is plotted and includes full details about the in-game route.

do you think is possible to have EDDI that say the list of the mappable body from the nearest to the farthest , every time it say it?

Last edited:
do you think is possible to have EDDI that say the list of the mappable body from the nearest to the farthest , every time it say it?
While I think this is kind of possible, it may not be very useful. When EDDI lists the bodies in 'Bodies to map', you could get it to sort them by distance from the main star. Of course, there is no way to determine if one body is on the opposite side of the system from the previous one, so it could make you take a longer flight than necessary. I don't think there is any way to tell the distance between each body in a system.

So, as an example, imagine you are looking down on a system from right above it. The closest body to the main star could be at the 12 o'clock position, the next closest to the main star at the 3 o'clock, and the next closest at the 9 o'clock, then the next closest at the 3 o'clock again. This would not be a good way to fly efficiently between them.

I think the best way to fly efficiently, will be how we've always done it, manually checking which is nearest to where you currently are in the system. 🤔 You can use the orrery map view to get a better idea of what the best route between them would be.

EDIT: If you still want a list, ordered by distance from the main star, I can write something for you. :)

Last edited:
While I think this is kind of possible, it may not be very useful. When EDDI lists the bodies in 'Bodies to map', you could get it to sort them by distance from the main star. Of course, there is no way to determine if one body is on the opposite side of the system from the previous one, so it could make you take a longer flight than necessary. I don't think there is any way to tell the distance between each body in a system.

So, as an example, imagine you are looking down on a system from right above it. The closest body to the main star could be at the 12 o'clock position, the next closest to the main star at the 3 o'clock, and the next closest at the 9 o'clock, then the next closest at the 3 o'clock again. This would not be a good way to fly efficiently between them.

I think the best way to fly efficiently, will be how we've always done it, manually checking which is nearest to where you currently are in the system. 🤔 You can use the orrery map view to get a better idea of what the best route between them would be.
So it’s impossible to have a check when you map the first one? When you map the first, EDDI tell you what bodies remain to scan, it’s impossible to have that in a new order ?

So it’s impossible to have a check when you map the first one? When you map the first, EDDI tell you what bodies remain to scan, it’s impossible to have that in a new order ?
I think I would have to say that is correct. As far as I know, it would be impossible to have a new order because there is no way for EDDI to know the distances between each body in a system. EDDI only knows the distance from "the arrival point" (where you enter the system) to each body, so think lines like the spokes of a wheel where the arrival point is at the main star, and each distance line goes from that star to each body. There is no way to know the distance between 'Body 1' and 'Body 2', only between 'Star A' and 'Body 1', and between 'Star A' and 'Body 2'.

Does that make sense? I'm not sure if I'm explaining it very well. 🤔

Top Bottom