Release EDDiscovery 17.X is now out! New Spansh intergrations - 3dMap from spansh data, Station panel

Hi again,

I'm trying to free up space on C: so I setup options.txt to use my HDD for the databases. I've got the two sqlite files there but the large edsmsystems.json and json.gz are still in the Appdata folder on C:. Can I delete them? I presume edsmsystems.json and edsmsystems.json.tmp are old as they're from 2019 but the json.gz version is recent... although not updated since I created options.txt.

I think I can delete them, right?

Cheers 🙂

If your EDDSystem.sqlite has finished building you can delete all of them.
If your DB is still processing systems the json.gz shouldn't be deleted.
(In the case your DB is stuck in an endless building cycle [caused by closing EDD while it was working on the DB] you should delete both the json.gz and EDDsystem.sqlite to restart the whole process.)

Hi @Eahlstan ,
Thanks. I think the DB is stuck in an endless building cycle. I gave up waiting for it to finish updating databases ages ago. I read that EDD now doesn't need a permanent copy of EDSM locally, is that right? So maybe I'd be better off backing up my user DB and starting from scratch?
Cheers 🙂

You don't need to backup anything. Just delete the EDDSystem.sqlite while EDD is closed. At the next start EDD will ask you what parts of the galaxy you want to download. On a HDD the DB building can take ages, on a SSD it takes about an hour (given you chose to download everything.)
Some parts of EDD now request system infos from EDSM when needed, other parts are unable to do so (like the route plotter), so if you need the DB depends mostly on what you do, so the best way is to download nothing and see if you're missing things. You still can reactivate the DB in the settings if you're missing things.

I tried to install the new version (Portable zip) yesterday, and twice again today, but Norton LifeLock is objecting and removes several (over 6) of the dll. Given up and gone back to the earlier version which Norton happily accepts.

Last edited:
If it's really unsynced it will eventually be resynced on a restart.
If it's an error of EDSM you can manually upload journals here.

And finally if you're speaking SQlite you could manipulate the DB to mark the entries unsynced again, but I strongly recommend to not touch the DB if you're not 100% sure what you're doing.

Also note that some services refuse to accept submissions coming from outdated software, so please be sure that you have the newest version installed.

If it's really unsynced it will eventually be resynced on a restart.
Was the first thing I tried before my first post. Did not help.
Neither did manual EDSM sync (sends a few events, but no changes apparently), or manual EDDN sync (sends nothing).

If it's an error of EDSM you can manually upload journals here.
That did work. Guess I have to do that now for all my logs manually.
Wouldn't it be better to manually upload to EDDN, so everyone who uses EDDN would get the data? (No idea how to do that...)

And finally if you're speaking SQlite you could manipulate the DB to mark the entries unsynced again, but I strongly recommend to not touch the DB if you're not 100% sure what you're doing.
That's not an option for now. Understanding SQlite is propably not out of reach for me, but I'd have to track down all the missing entries manually.

Also note that some services refuse to accept submissions coming from outdated software, so please be sure that you have the newest version installed.
I'm running 11.9.2.0, but I don't think this is the (only) reason here. Only a few entries are missing, not all of them.

Which makes finding the missing entries difficult. If I check the visited system via the flight log on EDSM, almost all are fine.
Then some bodies in a system are missing, then again everything fine, then a few systems without any bodies, then again everyhing fine.

The flight log seems complete and correct as well. I don't have any missing systems, all system names, coordinates and timestamps are there, it is just the celestial bodies in the systems missing (which is why I suspected the EDDN sync).

The latest version is 11.10.3, many services starting blocking submissions from lower versions in the last days as lower versions don't check if the data is from Odyssey.
You should definitely update as it makes no sense searching for errors if you're using an out of date version.

Only new ones.
You could move all unconverted screenshots out of the folder and move them back one by one to trigger the conversion.
But that would name them after the current system you're in (if you set it so) and not after the system they were taken in.
And why don't you just use something like this?

Can’t test at the moment, PC disconnected. Will try later /eventually...but it seems strange that it’s happy with all the older dll but not the latest. Deleting 6+ was worrying.
Have you thought about putting a checksum on the downloads to ensure they aren’t hacked after loading them onto the server?

Can’t test at the moment, PC disconnected. Will try later /eventually...but it seems strange that it’s happy with all the older dll but not the latest. Deleting 6+ was worrying.
Have you thought about putting a checksum on the downloads to ensure they aren’t hacked after loading them onto the server?

I'm at least 99.999999999999999999% sure what is available for download on github is what was built.

If you're not convinced then you can always build it yourself ;)

It is far more likely that Norton has messed with one of the DLLs. In this day and age, third party anti-virus increases your attack surface while offering little meaningful additional protection; indeed there is malware out there that specifically targets vulnerabilities in third party AV. The days when it was a good idea to have a program with admin privileges examining all incoming data are behind us, I'm afraid. I run only Microsoft Windows Security.

Last edited:
Top Bottom