Release EDDiscovery 18.X is now out! New modules panel upgrade and Engineering

I just started using this app recently and it's made a huge difference for me but I have one question. Where does the estimated value for system and body scans come from. I handed in my first 20 systems scans recently, 3 of which EDD estimated being worth between 4-5 million each, featuring first mapped water worlds and Terraformable HMC's. When I cashed in at UC the total for all 20 systems was 9 million Cr. I recognise that it's an estimate but it seems to be very inflated.

Were those in the bubble? Some bubble bodies are impossible to estimate. ( https://forums.frontier.co.uk/threads/exploration-value-formulae.232000/page-24#post-9682575 )
If it was close to the bubble or on a well travelled path it's also possible that someone sold those bodies before you did, making them worth less than at the time you scanned them.
The values are from here and are quite well tested. Having sold data worth billions of credits all I can say is that EDD slightly undervalues everything (on average).

Were those in the bubble? Some bubble bodies are impossible to estimate. ( https://forums.frontier.co.uk/threads/exploration-value-formulae.232000/page-24#post-9682575 )
If it was close to the bubble or on a well travelled path it's also possible that someone sold those bodies before you did, making them worth less than at the time you scanned them.
The values are from here and are quite well tested. Having sold data worth billions of credits all I can say is that EDD slightly undervalues everything (on average)
I'm about 1800 Ly from Sol so yeah not out in the deep Black, a lot of the systems were previously discovered but not mapped and once I cashed in they are attributed to me (Mapping) so I don't think it was an issue of someone else beating me to it. It's not a big deal it's just when the payout fell so far short of the estimation I wondered whether something had changed

I'm about 1800 Ly from Sol so yeah not out in the deep Black, a lot of the systems were previously discovered but not mapped and once I cashed in they are attributed to me (Mapping) so I don't think it was an issue of someone else beating me to it. It's not a big deal it's just when the payout fell so far short of the estimation I wondered whether something had changed
Did you take a look at the actual change on your balance or did you rely on the in game popup when selling?

^^^^^^ wot @Eahlstan said ^^^^^^^

Also - I have sometimes found that EDD thinks a body has not been previously mapped but in actual fact had been.
I just remembered that there's a bug in Elite that can cause this.
If you fly to an already mapped body and trigger an autoscan (so you don't FSSed it, although it was never tested with FSSing instead of using proximity scans) due to your proximity that scan event will have the correct flags. If you DSS that body afterwards the new scan event will contain false flags. If it's this there's nothing that can be done about it.

Care to send me your journals?
Pardon my ignorance, I tried to "Start a Conversation" but it won't let me attach local files or send a screenshot so I'm not sure how to send you the journal. This is a screenshot for the last system I did last night, It was already discovered but only 2 bodies had been mapped. Upon cashing in I got just over 2 million for this system and was credited (First Mapped" for all the previously unmapped bodies but there was a difference of -3.5 million from the estimation.

1693914058646.png

Pardon my ignorance, I tried to "Start a Conversation" but it won't let me attach local files or send a screenshot so I'm not sure how to send you the journal. This is a screenshot for the last system I did last night, It was already discovered but only 2 bodies had been mapped. Upon cashing in I got just over 2 million for this system and was credited (First Mapped" for all the previously unmapped bodies but there was a difference of -3.5 million from the estimation.

View attachment 366229
Well you could zip your whole journal folder, load it to some cloud storage (Google Drive, OneDrive, ...) and send me a link to the uploaded file.
Screenshots don't help in that case, as they don't contain anything needed.

Ok.

For your first patch of exploration from 29.08.2023 to 02.09.2023 EDD estimated a value of 31,515,577 credits.
You sold three pages of systems to UC, the first with 50 systems got you 19,908,456 credits, the second with 17 systems got you 2,312,214 credits and the third one with 40 systems got you 22,423,564 credits. That's a total of 44,644,234 credits.

For your second patch of exploration from 02.09.2023 to 04.09.2023 EDD estimated a value of 12,992,755 credits.
You sold one page of data containing 20 systems for 9,577,669 credits.

All in all your estimated values were 41,093,246 credits and your gains were 54,221,903 - your actual gains on your in game balance were a bit less as you have a crew member that gets a percentage of all your earnings.

The first patch of data was underestimated - or so it looks, you actually had unsold data in your storage, as you only scanned 41 systems and sold 107 systems (they aren't in the journals you sent to me).
The second was overestimated.
But only at the first look. You sold all your data on a fleet carrier. Universal Cartographics on fleet carriers takes a 25% tax on your earnings (that's fixed and nothing the owner can change). So your first earnings would have been 44,644,234 / 75 *100 which is 59,525,645. Your second earnings would have been 9,577,669 / 75 * 100 which is 12,770,225. Just a bit (222,530) under the estimation, but the gap is not big enough to conclude that something is wrong.

I hope this helps.

Also: If the carrier is yours half of the taxes are going to your carrier balance.

Ok.

For your first patch of exploration from 29.08.2023 to 02.09.2023 EDD estimated a value of 31,515,577 credits.
You sold three pages of systems to UC, the first with 50 systems got you 19,908,456 credits, the second with 17 systems got you 2,312,214 credits and the third one with 40 systems got you 22,423,564 credits. That's a total of 44,644,234 credits.

For your second patch of exploration from 02.09.2023 to 04.09.2023 EDD estimated a value of 12,992,755 credits.
You sold one page of data containing 20 systems for 9,577,669 credits.

All in all your estimated values were 41,093,246 credits and your gains were 54,221,903 - your actual gains on your in game balance were a bit less as you have a crew member that gets a percentage of all your earnings.

The first patch of data was underestimated - or so it looks, you actually had unsold data in your storage, as you only scanned 41 systems and sold 107 systems (they aren't in the journals you sent to me).
The second was overestimated.
But only at the first look. You sold all your data on a fleet carrier. Universal Cartographics on fleet carriers takes a 25% tax on your earnings (that's fixed and nothing the owner can change). So your first earnings would have been 44,644,234 / 75 *100 which is 59,525,645. Your second earnings would have been 9,577,669 / 75 * 100 which is 12,770,225. Just a bit (222,530) under the estimation, but the gap is not big enough to conclude that something is wrong.

I hope this helps.

Also: If the carrier is yours half of the tax are going to your carrier balance.
Many thanks that explains it. It's a strange mechanic that you pay for a carrier, pay for the instillation of Services, pay maintenance for those services and they still take 25% of your earnings.

Many thanks that explains it. It's a strange mechanic that you pay for a carrier, pay for the instillation of Services, pay maintenance for those services and they still take 25% of your earnings.

If you own the carrier you only lose 12.5%, as was stated 12.5% of the fee goes to carrier bank that you can pull out any time you want, so you only lost 12.5% of your earnings.

I'm running multiple accounts simultaneously on the same machine. Has EDDiscovery been tested in this scenario?

If I switch the drop-down from one account to another, will it upload the data from the recent logs for that account, or only new logs?

Back
Top Bottom