Release EDEngineer - an overlay to track your blueprint progress in realtime

I came back to Elite recently after a couple years hiatus and found out about the Engineers. While the concept is fun, I found it very painful to keep track of my progress for specific blueprints I wanted. I tried several techniques ; popular websites, excel sheet, you name it. But I got fed up and decided to come up with my own solution, and thought I'd share!
--------------
PS: while I do hangout on these forums, the best way to reach is to post issues/feature requests on GitHub. Keep in mind I want to keep the application simple and compact without too much noise --------

Howdy @CMDR HG (and supporters\assistant developers of this wonderfull app)

I hate a 6+ month neckro post like anyone else, but really hoping this is revamped for Odyssey.
Also trying to find ways to contribute data to the Odyssey updates in Github, I still MUCH prefer your overlay over Inara page or other options.

I'm just gonna chime in and say that I also do miss this tool greatly. Vastly superior way to keep your engineering organized, compared to other means.

Hey, this is looking pretty good. Nice work!

I have an issue to tell you about though. I think it's a bug in the game (there is an Issue Tracker item for it last I looked). It will affect ED Engineer in some way, I'm sure. Inara is also affected, but they are handling it more like the game does.

Anyway, here's the deal. Some items, like Health Monitor, show up in your inventory as 2 separate items. It appears to be differentiating between items you've picked up, and items that you've received as mission rewards.

Here's my in-game inventory, and you can see I have 2 sets of Health Monitors. 28 I have scavenged, and 8 I have received as mission rewards, for a total of 36.

Screenshot_1355.jpg

The ED Engineer from today shows 8 total, and skips the other 28. Inara shows 36, all on one line. In game, if I go to the Pioneer station to do an upgrade, it also shows 36 total.

The items that I've identified as having this problem so far are:

Health Monitor
Evacuation Protocols
Ionized Gas
Operational Manual
Production Schedule
Reactor Output Review
Topographical Surveys

There may be more, and probably are. It might be that all mission rewards are duplicates in some way, I don't know.

I thought you should be aware of the problem before it causes havoc and confusion :)

Hey, this is looking pretty good. Nice work!

I have an issue to tell you about though. I think it's a bug in the game (there is an Issue Tracker item for it last I looked). It will affect ED Engineer in some way, I'm sure. Inara is also affected, but they are handling it more like the game does.

Anyway, here's the deal. Some items, like Health Monitor, show up in your inventory as 2 separate items. It appears to be differentiating between items you've picked up, and items that you've received as mission rewards.

Here's my in-game inventory, and you can see I have 2 sets of Health Monitors. 28 I have scavenged, and 8 I have received as mission rewards, for a total of 36.

View attachment 236894

The ED Engineer from today shows 8 total, and skips the other 28. Inara shows 36, all on one line. In game, if I go to the Pioneer station to do an upgrade, it also shows 36 total.

The items that I've identified as having this problem so far are:

Health Monitor
Evacuation Protocols
Ionized Gas
Operational Manual
Production Schedule
Reactor Output Review
Topographical Surveys

There may be more, and probably are. It might be that all mission rewards are duplicates in some way, I don't know.

I thought you should be aware of the problem before it causes havoc and confusion :)
Could you possibly post the "ShipLockerMaterials" event from your journal in the Issuetracker on GitHUB. Would be good to see what it looks like.

Last edited:
This looks really useful, so I ran the setup.exe but am just stuck at the splash screen with the loading thing swirling.

Just wanna say 'Thank you' to all the people who are helping with keeping this great tool going! Much appechiated!

Anybody else having an issue with downloading the installer from Github? I just got a new PC and have tried every "Installer here" link on the EDEngineer page and all I get is a blank page except for the word "Forbidden" in the top left corner. No trouble downloading EDMC, EDR or EDDiscovery.

Hi all. It seems my EDEngineer has stopped updating correctly the materials for my CMDR. Is there a way to get it back in sync? I've logged out/in, and reloaded EDE. I've now uninstalled and redownloaded/einstalled EDEngineer and it isn't even seeing my CMDR when it loads. All values are zeroed. The target directory is correct.

Last edited:
Seems odd, nothing comes to mind as obvious.

Mine's installed in C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Max

I'm pretty sure that's the default.

If "View Commanders is compressed at the top, expand it and check to make sure the proper commander is selected.

Re-boot PC, Open ED to make sure it's running properly. Can't think of anything else that could be done.

Also - there's a line at the bottom of the settings window to reload all data. Give that a try. Settings is at the far right - small gear wheel. Current version is v1.1.6.13

HTH

Seems odd, nothing comes to mind as obvious.

Mine's installed in C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Max

I'm pretty sure that's the default.

If "View Commanders is compressed at the top, expand it and check to make sure the proper commander is selected.

Re-boot PC, Open ED to make sure it's running properly. Can't think of anything else that could be done.

Also - there's a line at the bottom of the settings window to reload all data. Give that a try. Settings is at the far right - small gear wheel. Current version is v1.1.6.13

HTH
The View commanders dropdown just shows "Default CMDR" It is not reading my savegame log files. The target directory is correct. I just uninstalled it again, completely removed all searchable EDEngineer instances in files...will reinstall and try again.

If that doesn't work, then the only obvious thing would be to verify that ED is installed in the default directories and the data is there. If it is, then all that would be left is to look at permissions and verify that EDE has permission to read the directory.

If that is all verified, it's above my paygrade...

The View commanders dropdown just shows "Default CMDR" It is not reading my savegame log files. The target directory is correct. I just uninstalled it again, completely removed all searchable EDEngineer instances in files...will reinstall and try again.
You're not alone, been having the same issue here since Odyssey patch 7 (or the hotfix that came right after, can't remember if there was one or not right now). Friend of mine had the same problem pop up at the same time on his computer. Tried resetting, reimporting and reinstalling. Nothing works, it won't sync. It used to load my settings but not sync, now I just get the "default commander" same as you. Haven't tried going back 3 or so point releases on EDEngineer to see if that would work, but I haven't really looked for older versions if they're even available. Friend says it's a known issue and the third party app devs are waiting for Frontier to fix something before they even try updating their programs at this point as things keep breaking. Personally, I've searched over and over and can't find anything to confirm this so I just have go on the search results Google is giving him and not me for some reason.

I had just set up my new computer and only had EDEngineer working correctly for about a week before it broke...I feel like I'm flying with my eyes closed right now.

Top Bottom